Great 1950/60 colour street scenes

No they are definitely RT's There is also a VW beetle towards the end of the daytime sequence. The newest vehicles I could identify (Vauxhall Wyvern/Cresta and Austin A50) were only produced up to about 1957, I have identified nothing made after that date.

Austin A35s were made until 1959 (my dad bought one of the last ones) and the Wallace and Gromitt type A30 vans were produced until about 1961-2.

• RMweb Premium

Austin A35s were made until 1959 (my dad bought one of the last ones) and the Wallace and Gromitt type A30 vans were produced until about 1961-2.

They are the earlier A30 models, you can tell by the smaller rear windows, they were replaced by the A35 about 1956/57.

Guest Max Stafford

Ee, we don't know we're born today, Larry...! ;)

There were still little pockets of that world when I was growing up and even at a (just) single-figure age, I was fascinated with them!

The nice thing about these street scenes for me is the near abscence of jarring, garish primary colours! :) Most street frontages these days look like they were designed by a six year old. :rolleyes:

Dave.

I thought I saw a couple of Routemasters in the daytime shots, about 2'30" in.

The only non-British made vehicle I could see was a Renault 4CV- looked a bit like a Morris 1000.

I think I spotted a Renault Dauphine too. They were all over the place in London. Manufactured 1956 - 1967 (I think).

Best, Pete.

The initial street scene showed padestrians wearing browns, blues and blacks, a legacy of wartime clothing, yet the second scene a few minutes later showed people in reds and brighter colours. I presume this was filmed on a Saturday.

MaxStafford said :

The nice thing about these street scenes for me is the near abscence of jarring, garish primary colours! smile.gif Most street frontages these days look like they were designed by a six year old. rolleyes.gif

People were cautious about colour in those days lest they be regarded as "common" (loosely translated as low-life), hence medium to dark greens, blues and browns. Yet there was now't so bright as a donkey-stoned step and window ledge. biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Washing was mostly by scubbing board, tub and mangle.

My brother and I were delegated that job, checked by mum of course, she swore by (not at) her Bendix top loader, kept it going for donkeys years, well into the 1970s until it could no longer be repaired and she had to get a new one, she never got on with any of the modern washers.

Men got up at 6am and walked, cycled or caught the bus to work.

or the train ;) - my dad used to walk to Rock Ferry station and catch the train over to Liverpool.

No central heating or double glazing when you got home either.

Broadsheet newspapers made surprisingly warm, if noisy, sheets !

Yes streets were cleaner because people had pride, even those with now't had pride and were not forever moaning about innequality.

My nan scrubbed her doorstep (and again my brother and I were often delegated to that job) until the early 1980s when she was physically unable to do so anymore and had to move into a home.

Luxury lad, luxury.

I've never understood why the UK does not follow the example of the USA in that the homeowner/commercial owner is directly responsible for the stretch of sidewalk/pavement outside their home/premises.

For example when it snows you are responsible for clearing all ice and snow off the sidewalk/pavement and to salt it (or use a "green" substitute). It's a good idea, really.

Best, Pete.

I've never understood why the UK does not follow the example of the USA in that the homeowner/commercial owner is directly responsible for the stretch of sidewalk/pavement outside their home/premises.

It's maybe a good idea in the USA, but if this applied in the UK we would be continually cleaning up dog sh*t.angry.gif

It's maybe a good idea in the USA, but if this applied in the UK we would be continually cleaning up dog sh*t.angry.gif

$150.00 fine to the dog owner for that in my town. And everybody is on the lookout for the offenders.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Very often, nobodyrolleyes.gif

I believe, under some quirk of our stupid health & safety/compensation culture that if you did clear the pavement/sidewalk outside your property and someone slipped and injured themselves then you could be held responsible. Go figure........

Really? Who clears the snow off your sidewalk?

And the Compensation Culture.

If you clear snow off your path/drive or pavement and leave an icy patch then you're liable if someone slips. This is even when you've cleared snow and a bit of meltwater has refrozen. Silly and sad, I know.

And the Compensation Culture.

If you clear snow off your path/drive or pavement and leave an icy patch then you're liable if someone slips. This is even when you've cleared snow and a bit of meltwater has refrozen. Silly and sad, I know.

Nowhere more litigious than here and it works.

I lived in England for 40 years and quite understand how a couple of inches of snow (viz M11) or fallen leaves can make the place grind to a halt.

You have to admire the Americans for getting on with it - our little road is plowed at least twice and often three times during a snowfall event - which frequently consists of 12 inches + (our record was 32 inches - which was the only time I was unable to get where I wanted but by the next day everything was clear).

Best, Pete.

After watching the Streets of London on Youtube, I looked at some of the others amongst the thumbnails. London in 1939 was interesting as it could be seen provisions for war and blackout were already in place......black & white markings on kerb stones at bus stops and sharp corners, and on posts. Buses too had white mudguards, but none of the cars were so adorned. It wasn't necessary of course as they would soon be off the road, laid up well greased in garages.

From those thumbnails I eventually got to a film made by a teacher in my home town of Hyde, Cheshire. It showed Gee Cross in 1947 and the main character was around five years old same as me at the time. I am pretty sure the lane down to the canal and railway line was where I lived until 1947 (Apethorne Lane). Spotted are LNER trains and a dark green SHMD prewar bus. The location is also revisited 60 years later by an enterprising cameraman and what a change....very depressing!

• RMweb Gold

This is slightly off topic but this is San Fransisco 4 days before the Earthquake struck in 1906.

Very interesting as it's also 4 days before my maternal grans birth (yes she had a sad birth coincidence) - the world was black and white when she was born as I suspected :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived