D6109 in Traction magazine

D605Eagle

A few years ago I think, there was a good colour picture of an NBL class 21 D6109 in BR blue with full yellows. Now I've tried looking back through my issues all the way back to 2000, but I must have missed it. Can anybody confirm that that picture was in an issue of Traction? or have I just lost the plot completely!

Cheers

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

Not sure about 6109 Jim, but 6129 was definitely in BFYE by April '68. There are photos of it in David Cross's 'Heyday of The Scottish Diesels". His dad photographed it near Spean Bridge then.

Hope this info is of use.

Dave.

Not sure about 6109 Jim, but 6129 was definitely in BFYE by April '68. There are photos of it in David Cross's 'Heyday of The Scottish Diesels". His dad photographed it near Spean Bridge then.

Hope this info is of use.

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave.

The reason I'm hunting D6109 is because it was the only class 21 to get that livery. All the others are class 29 rebuilds.

Cheers

Jim

I'll keep my eyes peeled Jim. I think that one's going to be a bit of a 'Holy Grail'...! :D

Dave.

Yeah your right! I rememeber in the classic diesel and electric mag that ran for a short time Adrian Curtis said there was just one piccy of it in colour and the owner wanted silly money to publish it, so he didn't. That was why I was supprised to see it in Traction (If I wasn't dreaming!) and also dissapointed that before it was repainted it was fitted with route boxes so it looked similar to a 29. I know I'm been pedantic here, but I really want to know if I did see it or not! :lol:

Cheers

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

Jim, there is a photo of D6107 in BFYE in 'Diesel Days; Scotland'. You're not perchance thinking of this one, are you?

Dave.

I'm 95% certain there was a pic of D6109 in Traction, but only a small one, and could have been accompanying a letter. It was certainly published in view of its significance as the only blue 21 (I understand it got a partial rebuild and had some of the bodywork differences). Cant help with the issue number but a PM to RobertCWP might bring forth that info - IIRC he commented at the time. It may even be in a post on the old forum, though it probably wouldnt be the easiest thing to search for

I'm 95% certain there was a pic of D6109 in Traction, but only a small one, and could have been accompanying a letter. It was certainly published in view of its significance as the only blue 21 (I understand it got a partial rebuild and had some of the bodywork differences). Cant help with the issue number but a PM to RobertCWP might bring forth that info - IIRC he commented at the time. It may even be in a post on the old forum, though it probably wouldnt be the easiest thing to search for

Looks like Bob has saved everyone else the trouble. I would not have remembered where the photo was anyway, certainly not the Railways Illustrated one.

Interesting! I dont take Rail or Railways Illustrated so it can only have been in Traction, or possiably Railway Magazine where I saw it.

Mmm, thinking on and despite what I said earlier, it could be the 'Rail' shot I'm remembering - it's a mag I hardly ever look at otherwise. So dont spend all day looking at Traction on the strength of my memorysorry_mini.gif

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I think, there was a good colour picture of an NBL class 21 D6109 in BR blue with full yellows. Now I've tried looking back through my issues all the way back to 2000, but I must have missed it. Can anybody confirm that that picture was in an issue of Traction? or have I just lost the plot completely!

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

I still haven't found the photo, but still looking. I'm looking forward to a full Traction archive sometime soon, to make this process easier!

Regards

Richard

• 2 months later...

I was looking for pics of this one for some time. I eventually got a pic of D6109 in BR Blue, close-up, in a fairly recent copy of a magazine, think it was Dec. 2008 - Railways Illustrated, all about TOPS locos in BR Blue; article called 'Up the Blues'. Its pictured outside Eastfield in late 1967, I think. Anyway, I managed to complete my oo model of it using this picture. The model's on my website - Swandham Lane. It was the only Class 21 to get BR blue and yellow ends; though it got the headcode box of a 29 too.

Dave K

• 1 month later...

Just in case people are still searching-the picture of D6109 was in Rail issue 524[Oct 05] and not 534 as previously mentioned. The pic is way too small to be of any use to modellers. The same article also has a pic of the fire damage sustained by D6127-its bad but not nearly as extensive as many of us had been led to believe.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Same day from a slightly different viewpoint.

Are they both yours ?

No, I bought one with rights to use a few years ago. It might have been a depot open day or visit as the images appear to be on different types of film if the differing colours are anything to go by.

• 3 months later...

I've long suspected that D6109 was not a Class 21 but a Class 29 all along. If you look at a 21 it has a window between the set of three grilles and the set of 2. Class 29s have aextra grille there so the series goes three one two if that makes sense?
It also had the headcode panels unlike any other class 21s.
Any thoughts? Or have I just made a total fool of myself?

• RMweb Premium

It does have the grilles a la class 29 though.

Hi Russell

There seems to be two threads on the same subject. As I said on the other thread, my understanding is that D6109 was to be the next converted but never received its Paxman engine despite having most of the work done to have it fitted as the project was canceled. It is not recorded as being a Paxman loco in any of the books and magazine articles I have read regarding this class. I think it was Traction that done a short, no more than a long photo caption stating D6109 was externally like a class 29, including being the only class 21 repainted blue, but retained the MAN-NBL lump.

Archived