Rail Built Buffer Stop

Pete Harvey

When I visited the DRS open Day while I was walking around before the depot was open to the public and I noticed buy the admin building a rail built buffer stops three being of a similar type to the Peco buffer stop and one of a different type so measurements and pictures were taken.

post-6665-128299833574_thumb.jpg

The buffer stop is made using code 75 bull head rail (for use on 00, P4 & EM) and a riveting tool to simulate the bolts fixing the stop to the rail.

I have included on the etch 4 rail cutting jigs so that the correct angles can be cut on the bull head rail.

post-6665-128299834028_thumb.jpg

When the buffer stop has been made you have two options to prevent an electrical short:

1, If you are fitting the stop to a new layout I would say build the stop completely solid and fully soldered and cut both rails about 1 to 2 inches in front of the stop leaving them un-powered.

2, If you are fitting them to an existing code 75 layout buy some very thin PCB board and solder the buffer rails to the PCB and then use a contact adhesive to fit them to the rest of the stop as I have done to the buffer stop model in the pictures, as I will be fitting it to my new layout Lindridge Road.

post-6665-128299834541_thumb.jpg

post-6665-128299834772_thumb.jpg

post-6665-128299835077_thumb.jpg

post-6665-12829983538_thumb.jpg

For information on ordering this product please check my Web site.

Pete

Guest jim s-w

Hi Pete

Looks good. One tip that I picked up from the spring side kits is to use a sliver of paper to isolate the cross pieces from the sides and ensure no electrical short. However a gap in the rails would be prototypical anyway. Out of interest does your design represent the same as the one produced by Bill Bedford?

Cheers

Jim

Bills version is for a GN buffer stop. Someone has built one on the DEMU forum and the angles aren't the same as for the BR stop. No idea whether it's a different design or design error by Bill though.

Back on topic. Pete, I would have prefered the bolts to be on as a half etch rather than to be punched 'rivet' style without any location marks. At nearly £6 plus postage it seems a lot of money to pay for some pretty small plain bits of etch.

You'll notice the real buffer stop isn't mounted on the stock rail but on another piece of rail that runs outside the stock rail. Also the whole thing is mounted on slide chairs rather than standard 3 bolt chairs.

Cheers

David

David

Thank you for the information on the Bill Bedford buffer stop.

I did look at having the bolts as a half etch as you have mentioned this would mean that the material would be very thin and not as strong.

the half etched holes could always be drilled through and used to drill the rail and constructed with scale nuts and bolts if the modeller wanted

I did notice that the real buffer stop is not mounted on the stock rails and it could be modelled in the same way.

I chose to model it on the stock rail as I mentioned earlier in the thread I will be fitting this one to my new layout when i have done so I will post some pictures and you will understand why I have used the stock rails.

Pete

Guest jim s-w

I did look at having the bolts as a half etch as you have mentioned this would mean that the material would be very thin and not as strong.

the half etched holes could always be drilled through and used to drill the rail and constructed with scale nuts and bolts if the modeller wanted

Just use thicker material then! ;). Although looking at your prototype and model pictures a reduction in the thickness of the etch would be an advantage. Ultimately it would be the soldering if the rails that hold the strength while the overlays are just that. It's not dissimilar to this:-

heavyweight%20leg%20finished.jpg

Hth

Jim.

To try to clear up some of the confusion up here is a picture of the back of the etch.

post-6665-128316875253_thumb.jpg

Also here is a picture of a real buffer stop with riveted construction and mounted on the stock rails similar to my product, some where in the Southern Region of the rail network.

post-6665-128316894826_thumb.jpg

Pete

To try to clear up some of the confusion up here is a picture of the back of the etch.

post-6665-128316875253_thumb.jpg

Also here is a picture of a real buffer stop with riveted construction and mounted on the stock rails similar to my product, some where in the Southern Region of the rail network.

post-6665-128316894826_thumb.jpg

Pete

Just to shed some light (or perhaps not) on the prototype they were seen all over the country, I have seen people describe it as an LMS or even LNWR design, and I have a photo of one at Oxford Rewley Road. That one had a wooden bufferbeam. But the LNER also listed this type as their York area design in a 1943 document. So I rather suspect it originated perhaps with some third-party supplier. As can be seen. they continue to built right up to the present, as there is one just outside St Pancras on HS1.

Chris Higgs

But the LNER also listed this type as their York area design in a 1943 document.

Ah, that explains why this type of buffer stop is so common in the North East. I had assumed it was a standard modernisation era BR design but haven't seen any of this type in Scotland or the East Midlands.

Good to see the half etched marks on the rear. A great help in getting the bolt heads in the right place.

Cheers

David

• 3 months later...

Archived