Airfix 4F 0-6-0

• RMweb Premium

I have an Airfix 0-6-0 with tender drive. does anyone know of an 0-6-0 RTR motorised chasis that will fit the body of this model?

Not RTR but if you've got the time (& patience) you could use a Comet chassis kit.

Keith

The Airfix/Hornby 4F body simply a joke and is the equlivalent of expecting D&E modellers to put up with a Playcraft Class 29. Hardly worth doing anything with it that entails money and graft. One could of course swop bodies when the Bachmann 3F 0-6-0 when it comes out if really really keen to run a characature.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Bought the loco for my grandchildren to play with but thought I could play with it when they grew out of pushing it around. Will dispatch it to Woodhams instead if they are still in business!

Derek

The Airfix/Hornby 4F body simply a joke and is the equlivalent of expecting D&E modellers to put up with a Playcraft Class 29. Hardly worth doing anything with it that entails money and graft. One could of course swop bodies when the Bachmann 3F 0-6-0 when it comes out if really really keen to run a characature.

It may not be state-of-the-art but it's still the best RTR 4F that I know of and the tender is streets ahead of that awful thing that Hornby put with their Baby Scot. Whenever anyone mentions re-tooling the 4F I try to steer them towards one with RH drive, beaded splashers and a Johnson tender, so far I seem to be p***ing into the wind with that ideasad.gifsad.gif . That hasn't stopped Hornby cataloguing one masquerading in a Midland number thoughunsure.gif .

Guest Max Stafford

Mein Gott, Larry! I was under the impression that the body moulding was half decent, even though the chassis was pure mince! I've got three, awaiting re-fit too.

Don't know if I wanted to hear this info...! :O ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Mein Gott, Larry! I was under the impression that the body moulding was half decent, even though the chassis was pure mince! I've got three, awaiting re-fit too.

Don't know if I wanted to hear this info...! :O ;)

Dave.

I'm sure Larry knows what he's talking about, but apart from the splashers, it would be useful to understand exactly what folk think the main issues are with it.

No doubt some (like boiler fittings) are relatively easy to deal with, but the splashers, for example, would require a lot more work..

Ignoring the splashers for a minute or two, The very basic bodyshell seemed dimensionaly correct, not that Ive had the vernier to it mind you! What I did find somewhat offensive was the chimney and steam dome which didn't look right - mine were replaced by Crownline components, ahh the days when the aftersales market was brilliant and gave good modelling fun!

In the end my current version is the Airfix body footplate and cab (including splashers unfortunately), rest of details were hacked off and replaced, Comet Chassis and Comet tender. Its not perfect, but short of buying a Brassmasters 4F kit, which i drooled over, I was never going to get perfection. It will do till Hornby finally decide to upgrade or Bachman bite the bullet.

post-6679-128358889703.jpg

Photo Ian Manderson, Couretsy of Railway Modeller

What I said about the Hornby 4F might sound cruel, but I was getting at the amount of work that is needed to make it 2010 acceptable. Cutting the oversize splashers off is hard enough but then the resulting gaps have to be filled in. Andy has commented on fitting better boiler fittings. Wait while the Bachmann 3F comes out then everyone will see what a dinasaur the 4F is.

I have a feeling it would be quicker to assemble a Wills whitemetal 4F at the end of the day.

• RMweb Gold
I have a feeling it would be quicker to assemble a Wills whitemetal 4F at the end of the day

My OO 4F, completed several years ago now, uses the Airfix body, but a Comet chassis and a Gibson tender. It's far too late to mess around with a completed loco that in all other respects, passes the Captains 'Black 5' test...

...in other words, it looks to me like a 4F, not a Black 5, so a 4F it is! ;) :lol:

However, I have a couple of choices for a P4 one - another Airfix body, picked up a while ago, but this time I have the full set of Brassmasters boiler fittings, which they kindly sold me as 'spares', plus an etched chassis and another replacement tender, or (a more recent acquisition), a Brassmasters kit...

In an ideal world, I'll eventually build both! :rolleyes: :D

I'm sure Larry knows what he's talking about, but apart from the splashers, it would be useful to understand exactly what folk think the main issues are with it.

No doubt some (like boiler fittings) are relatively easy to deal with, but the splashers, for example, would require a lot more work..

The firebox is too small, isn't it?

And the smokebox reverse curve is too abrupt.

Alan

... it looks to me like a 4F, not a Black 5, so a 4F it is!...

... Wait while the Bachmann 3F comes out then everyone will see what a dinosaur the 4F is. ...

Must admit some sympathy to CK's rule, but Coach is right; when the ancestor appears looking so much more like its' prototype, that's going to be the tolling bell for the old clunker... (Not that Hornby will care overmuch, long ago amortised it can even have a further career in their Railroad department.)

Will Hornby ever move on updating their ancient 0-6-0s,and other small steam models? I can fully appreciate that their range needs cheap cash cow products of this type, which can be bought as impulse purchases, but that doesn't mean they need not supplement the small steam models with new introductions to current standard. This seems to have stopped following the Q1 and M7 however. I do wonder if there are not the volume of sales for Hornby to make small current standard steam models a real goer commercially. It is no secret that many customers will buy glamorous express power in multiple, compared to only one (of what was in reality a much more numerous) goods machine.

As we all know the splashers are oversize, but to keep the relationship of the central splasher and the firebox "correct", Airfix shortened the firebox to suit. :(

I have seen it corrected by inserting plasticard at the rear and shortening the boiler, as well as replacing all the splachers (with lots of filler behind) but it's a pig of a job!

Tony

• RMweb Gold
I have seen it corrected by inserting plasticard at the rear and shortening the boiler, as well as replacing all the splachers (with lots of filler behind) but it's a pig of a job!

The amount of work involved to get the whole of the Airfix body 'just so' and to precisely match the drawings is such that it seems to me, one might as well go for broke and build a good kit instead....

There comes a point where the pleasure one gets out of improving a R-T-R is eclipsed by the sheer amount of faffing around, and that the kit option would offer a calmer temperament and more enjoyment.

Guest Max Stafford

I think I'll just stick to my compromised re-chassis jobs meantime though. Not perfect, but perfect for me as the 4Fs weren't a massive component of the scene in my area of interest and a reasonable model will do just as well as a completely accurate one.

I do think we'll see a good one from Barwell before long though.

Dave.

I do wonder if there are not the volume of sales for Hornby to make small current standard steam models a real goer commercially. It is no secret that many customers will buy glamorous express power in multiple, compared to only one (of what was in reality a much more numerous) goods machine
I suspect this is it with Hornby and to a lesser extent Bachmann. The forthcoming S&DJR 2-8-0 will sell to the big market of toy train collectors and those who buy whatever appeals to them no matter what. It is a paradox that the latest locos are superbly detailed scale models yet scale modellers of the steam-era will probably never see their everyday locos ever produced; not in a market that is busy producing models of untypical preserved steam locos.

It just goes to show what I know! I have an Airfix 4F, and thought it was a lovely little model, but I hated the tender drive! That was my only complaint. Now I learn that it is little more than a Thomas Tank as far as reality goes!

Well, I'm devastated, I tell you, devastated:(.

I always thought the Airfix 4F looked quite good and considering it came out in 1978 (I think), it maybe a little unfair to compare it to current models. I bought one of the Hornby produced models a couple of years ago as it still looked good to me and I had wanted one since they were first introduced by Airfix! It may be far from perfect but it looks like a 4F to me and I'm sure I can detail/improve it at some point including repowering it.

Which brings me back to the OP. Hollywood Foundry do a replacement tender drive for the 4F. http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/british.htm I've no Idea of the price but it looks well engineered and no doubt provides more prototypical speeds than the original drive.

Maybe one of the current manufacturers will bring us an up to date model soon!

Just my 2p.

Mark.

It just goes to show what I know! I have an Airfix 4F, and thought it was a lovely little model, but I hated the tender drive! That was my only complaint. Now I learn that it is little more than a Thomas Tank as far as reality goes!

Well, I'm devastated, I tell you, devastated:(.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold
Maybe one of the current manufacturers will bring us an up to date model soon!

Just my 2p

It is surely only a matter of time before one of the major manufacturers 're-do' certain locos to the modern R-T-R spec, such as the 4F, 2P, 14XX, 61XX, to name an obvious few?

If I were Bachmann, I'd want to be known as the manufacturer identified with producing the full set of S&D motive power... ;)

Then again, it's probably just as well that I'm not!! :lol:

...If I were Bachmann, I'd want to be known as the manufacturer identified with producing the full set of S&D motive power...

Wow, all the motive power that ran on the Stockton and Darlington: that's so obvious as a theme since this is where the railway really began in earnest, but very ambitious considering how little is currently available RTR.

Archived