Lighting the layout

I am looking to significantly improve the lighting in my model railway room, in order to enhance the appearance of the layout, and I was wondering what folk suggest as being the best way to proceed.

The room housing the layout is 17ft 6in long and 8ft wide. The main part of the layout is along one 17ft 6in blank wall with scenic areas round the ends occupying the 8ft spaces. The other 17ft 6in wall (where the doorway is) is occupied by the fiddle yard, so improved lighting here is not so important.

One of the main problems, particularly for daytime operation, is thst the windows of the room are at the ends of the layout so when I look right or left from the operating console my view is impaired by the bright light shining through the windows. The only artificial light that the room currently has comes from two pendant ceiling fittings with 100 watt(equivalent) low-energy lamps in.

I think that I need to put some lighting directly above the layout and am wondering what sort of fittings people recommend, and how many I should have, to get the best effect. The layout isn't exhibited so anything I instal will be permanent.

All suggestions/ideas gratefully received.

Peter Jordan

I've used a continuous line of fluorescents about 60cm above the layout and just in front of its front edge so that everything on the layout is illuminated but people standing in front do not cast shadows onto it. I found at that height the T4 lights from Screwfix (intended for under kitchen cabinets) work quite well but I guess you could use brighter ones higher up. You will need a pelmet in front of the lamps so they do not shine into the eyes of people watching the layout. Although mine is a home layout many exhibitors use something similar and it might be worth going to a couple of exhibitions to see the other methods people use.

Archived