scalescenes on Ebay

• RMweb Gold

We had this discussion a while back. I seem to recall that John's opinion was that the person wouldn't get much out of it compared to the build time. Of course selling printed sheets or PDF files would be a different matter.

• RMweb Gold

The one I looked at said 'More than 10 available'.

Weather it is legal or not is not for me to decide, but it's certainly not morally right, if they were offering a building service for Scalescenes kits with the support of John it may be different.

I would agree that they won't be making much of a living out of them after materials and time are taken into account.

As I read it they're selling the kits, not the built kits.

This is what it says so I guess they are already built ?.Still doesn't sound right to me.

"You are buying a pre-built paper buidling design made on hard cardboard - very sturdy - istead of you sticking your fingers together or 'never getting around to building it' - buy one already put together!"

Whilst not defending the person concerned, is it vastly different to any of us buying a loco kit , building it and then selling it on e bay? I appreciate that we have initially purchased the loco kit, whereas it is possible to download an example from Scalescenes free.

Just a thought.

Pete

Many thanks Samuel for letting me know, I have contacted this seller to outline my position. As mentioned, this topic is well covered here. (so if anyone would like to thrash out this issue some more it probably best to continue this thread...)

Just to clarify: I'm more than happy for a customer to buy one of my kits, build it once and then decide to sell it for whatever reason. When you purchase one of my kits or texture sheets the copyright information at the bottom of each page CLEARLY states that: 'Unauthorised distribution, copying, downloading, commercial exploitation or modification by the purchaser or any third party of this file or printout is strictly prohibited'. The pertinent point in this case is that they are selling multiple copies of the original download and this clearly constitutes 'commercial exploitation'.

I have been approach by several professional model makers asking how they stand if they want to sell my kits as part of a diorama or larger layout. Once again, I have no problem with this as long as they place a new order for each commission.

I try to always take a fair and balanced view of these matters. When I set up Scalescenes I could easily have added a lot more security to the files, (serial numbers, limited the number of downloads or prints, expiry dates etc) but didn't as it would have made the whole process far more complex. As a purchaser of one of my kits you effectively have a life-time 'licence' to download it and print it as many times as you like.

Happy modelling!

John

... As a purchaser of one of my kits you effectively have a life-time 'licence' to download it and print it as many times as you like.

John

This is one of the things that attracts about Scalescenes. I'm buying stuff as 'stock' to be used when I need - or perhaps never. And another attraction is that if I cock it up (very likely) I can reprint. It's an excellent concept - many thanks for producing such superb material to enable us to do things like this.

And you're offering 'taster' kits free which is great for us as modellers - as it's these that are currently being exploited I can only support you in any action you can take against such individuals.

Many thanks Samuel for letting me know, I have contacted this seller to outline my position. As mentioned, this topic is well covered here. (so if anyone would like to thrash out this issue some more it probably best to continue this thread...)

Just to clarify: I'm more than happy for a customer to buy one of my kits, build it once and then decide to sell it for whatever reason. When you purchase one of my kits or texture sheets the copyright information at the bottom of each page CLEARLY states that: 'Unauthorised distribution, copying, downloading, commercial exploitation or modification by the purchaser or any third party of this file or printout is strictly prohibited'. The pertinent point in this case is that they are selling multiple copies of the original download and this clearly constitutes 'commercial exploitation'.

I have been approach by several professional model makers asking how they stand if they want to sell my kits as part of a diorama or larger layout. Once again, I have no problem with this as long as they place a new order for each commission.

I try to always take a fair and balanced view of these matters. When I set up Scalescenes I could easily have added a lot more security to the files, (serial numbers, limited the number of downloads or prints, expiry dates etc) but didn't as it would have made the whole process far more complex. As a purchaser of one of my kits you effectively have a life-time 'licence' to download it and print it as many times as you like.

Happy modelling!

John

No problem John Interesting it was the three free kits and part of one of your commercial kits being up on ebay.

John

This is one of the things that attracts about Scalescenes. I'm buying stuff as 'stock' to be used when I need - or perhaps never. And another attraction is that if I cock it up (very likely) I can reprint. It's an excellent concept - many thanks for producing such superb material to enable us to do things like this.

I have the same approach, I picked up John's new overbridge on it's release for a potential extension to a layout I haven't even started yet. Even if I don't use it though, I'll still find use for the poster pack that was included. I'll probably pick up the forthcoming High Street shops for the same reason.

Archived