OO Steel pipe loads

I've just made some pipe loads out of 5mm dia drinking straws and glued them as follows, 4 on the bottom row, 3 above in a top row, to go on Bachmann BDA's.

I model 1999 to present and wonder if anyone could advise what colour to paint the pipes? The only one's I can find prototype pictures of are yellow, I thought about a rust colour but thought it may be a bit corny. Is there any colours I could prototypically paint them? links to pictures would be very usefull.

thanks, Nick

I've just made some pipe loads out of 5mm dia drinking straws and glued them as follows, 4 on the bottom row, 3 above in a top row, to go on Bachmann BDA's.

I model 1999 to present and wonder if anyone could advise what colour to paint the pipes? The only one's I can find prototype pictures of are yellow, I thought about a rust colour but thought it may be a bit corny. Is there any colours I could prototypically paint them? links to pictures would be very usefull.

thanks, Nick

Black- standard colour for pipes unless otherwise specified. The yellow ones would probably be coated ones for the offshore oil industry. Don't go for the rusty option; most pipes I've seen (and I used to order several hundred metres of various sizes every week)were delivered coated in a black lacquered finish. The rust only set in once the coating was removed, or subjected to heat.

The capping on the ends, at least on ones of 6" diameter or less, dates back to at least the mid-1970s.

Brian

Smaller bore stuff is classed as tubes, the bigger diameters are pipes. As for capping the ends, it depends on the grade of steel, the type and eventual usage of the tubes. Capping them can also retain moisture as well as excluding it so can encourage corrosion. Seamless tubes for the oil industry are often seen capped whilst in transit but structural hollow sections (for building) are frequently seen without them. Tubes for fluid or gas transmission often have threaded sockets on one end for joining them and will have matching external threads on the opposite end.

Dried spaghetti is a good source for tube wagon loads.

Black is certainly the most common colour.  The other option is silver grey to represent galvanised steel pipe. As you cannot use weld fittings on galvanised pipe it always has a threaded end and a socket end.

Arthur

Hi guys

i hope i can shed some light on this from the current pipe train operations which i have seen passing

through Fife on the way to the Far North there have been two types of pipes conveyed

long yellow ones the yellow is a coating 3 pipes per wagon and barrier wagons because of the overhang

and shorter much thinner pipes these were rusty ones.

regards Dave

Hi guys

i hope i can shed some light on this from the current pipe train operations which i have seen passing

through Fife on the way to the Far North there have been two types of pipes conveyed

long yellow ones the yellow is a coating 3 pipes per wagon and barrier wagons because of the overhang

and shorter much thinner pipes these were rusty ones.

regards Dave

I wonder if these started out from the manufacturer as black, or are these rusty uncoated from manufacture? I've been looking through some old mags and found a pic of a 37 pulling about 10 BDA's loaded with rusty pipes about 15 -18 inch dia, that was shot in Scotland.

Nick.

Hello all,

As I live not far from the "Angel of the North" statue, I can confirm that it is coated/painted in a rusty looking paint. This 'rust' isn't rust as we know it, it is a protective cover over the bare metal.

Could the 'rusty' pipes being transported by rail actually have this protective coating applied, and not actually be just pipes that are rusting?

Grant

Have you looked at the Duha loads? They're Czech (I think) but the website is easy enough to follow your way around and someone in this country does them. Useful for lots of ideas, even if the items themselves are quite expensive. Most of them are too modern for me, but I picked this one up on a show offer recently and thought it looked ok for a prewar wagon.

flats_zpsed34bcdc.jpg

These have what looks like a grainy, rusty finish.

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of standard colours in use for pipes in Britain - black is normally for buried iron/steel pipes and they are usually for water (although smaller bore plastic pipe for water is blue). Yellow is for gas pipe, which is normally plastic up to quite large diameters nowadays. Grey plastic is for telepone cabling and green plastic is for cable tv cabling.

Large diameter steel pipe coated with white coloured insulation is/was used for long distance 'white' oils and gas pipelines.

Hello all,

As I live not far from the "Angel of the North" statue, I can confirm that it is coated/painted in a rusty looking paint. This 'rust' isn't rust as we know it, it is a protective cover over the bare metal.

Could the 'rusty' pipes being transported by rail actually have this protective coating applied, and not actually be just pipes that are rusting?

Grant

I think you'll find that the Angel is made of something called 'Corten' steel- an alloy which oxidises on the surface to give a rusty patina, but which doesn't then continue to degrade. It's used quite a lot in architectural applications. I bet it'll crop up on Grand Designs soon.....

The 'rusty' pipes were probably just that- some of the coatings would probably not adhere to any other coating or lacquer, and so the pipes would be left to acquire superficial rust which could be bead or shot-blasted off before finishing.

Incidentally, if you know of any one who shot-blasts steel, the fine dust that results is ideal for weathering wagons....

I think you'll find that the Angel is made of something called 'Corten' steel- an alloy which oxidises on the surface to give a rusty patina, but which doesn't then continue to degrade. It's used quite a lot in architectural applications. I bet it'll crop up on Grand Designs soon.....

The 'rusty' pipes were probably just that- some of the coatings would probably not adhere to any other coating or lacquer, and so the pipes would be left to acquire superficial rust which could be bead or shot-blasted off before finishing.

Incidentally, if you know of any one who shot-blasts steel, the fine dust that results is ideal for weathering wagons....

Well, whatever the Angel is made of, it's absolutely hideous...and I have to pass it every day!!! Modern art isn't my thing at all!! :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Well, getting back to the pipe loads, i've sprayed the loads with primer and I am about to spray them black when I came across an interesting picture.

Anybody with any knowledge of the Scottish pipe flows that have the back issue of REx magazine no. 157 June 09 page 3 will see the type of load i'm trying to create. These pipes are rusty, is this just a light rust coating on black painted pipes or have they yet to be shotblasted and coated?

Put this in your pipe and.. enjoy !

Pics from Hartlepool 1995

A BQW loaded with possibly 20 inch pipes. At this time Trainload Metals used BQW for uncoated pipes and BTW (which had rubber lined cradles) for coated pipes. Coated pipes I saw were either yellow (with a bare metal end for joining) or concrete coated (concrete colour !) but similar bare ends.

post-7678-086084600 1285275276_thumb.jpg

Now a BDA which were just being evaluated as BQW/BTW replacements due to phasing out of vac braked Cl 37 locos. Possibly 40 inch pipes.

post-7678-031092500 1285275321_thumb.jpg

Finally the BDA load securing device, the 'Granbill' named after a chap who worked at Hartlepool I believe

post-7678-083837000 1285275380_thumb.jpg

Andy

Archived