Pullman coaches near Sunderalnd

• RMweb Premium

I recently went to Sunderland for the day and drove up to Seaburn and along the coast just north of Sunderland saw a pub on the seafront with 2 coaches outside the pub. They were pullman coaches and what intrigued me was that they both had 12 wheel bogies which is unusual these days. Though they were in a dark brown livery they had no names or number visible. Does anyone know the Identity and possibly history of these two coaches.

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

The late R.W.Kidner's book "Pullman Trains in Britain", ISBN 0 85361 531 4, Oakwood Press 1998, shows three Pullman cars preserved at the Pullman Lodge Hotel, Seaburn.

PADUA Blt.1920, ROSALIND Blt.1921 & SAPPHIRE. (Kitchen 1st.) Blt.1910.

The 1910 cars were 8-wheelers.

PADUA (Kitchen 1st.) was re-modelled into Parlour (Brake ?) 3rd. No.99 in early B.R. days.

ROSALIND (Kitchen 1st.) appeared differently (window sizes & arrangement) in B.R. days, than in Andy Y's link. It may have had its windows altered when converted to a Holiday Coach after being withdrawn and sold to B.R.

Regards, Frank.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie.

The late R.W.Kidner's book "Pullman Trains in Britain", ISBN 0 85361 531 4, Oakwood Press 1998, shows three Pullman cars preserved at the Pullman Lodge Hotel, Seaburn.

PADUA Blt.1920, ROSALIND Blt.1921 & SAPPHIRE. (Kitchen 1st.) Blt.1910.

The 1910 cars were 8-wheelers.

PADUA (Kitchen 1st.) was re-modelled into Parlour (Brake ?) 3rd. No.99 in early B.R. days.

ROSALIND (Kitchen 1st.) appeared differently (window sizes & arrangement) in B.R. days, than in Andy Y's link. It may have had its windows altered when converted to a Holiday Coach after being withdrawn and sold to B.R.

Regards, Frank.

These two are definitely both 12 wheelers. It was the bogies that cought my attention as I drove past while trying not to get shouted at by the boss for looking at railway related things.

Jamie

These two are definitely both 12 wheelers. It was the bogies that cought my attention as I drove past while trying not to get shouted at by the boss for looking at railway related things.

Jamie

Yeah.... I was only pointing out that the third Pullman, 'SAPPHIRE', is an 8-wheeler.

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah.... I was only pointing out that the third Pullman, 'SAPPHIRE', is an 8-wheeler.

Regards.

Sorry about that I' didn't read your post thoroughly. There were definitely only 2 so I wonder what happenned to the 3rd one.

Jamie

Guest Belgian

Going by that long list of surviving cars, not many Pullmans have ever been scrapped? Being mostly wooden I guess they wouldn't be worth much in that respect.

Sadly, those that were converted to Camping Coaches and put out to grass in sidings on the Southern Region in the mid sixties were torched where they stood, mostly during the Bournemouth electrification.

JE

I always thought there were three carriages, but apparently there are four.

This website (if you scroll near the bottom of the page) has a recent trip to the Pullman Lodge Hotel,

and if you click on this website and select the "Present Location" as "Seaburn", gives you the history of the four cars.

I was tempted to go and photograph them after seen this thread, but they would just be repeating the photos from the first link.

Further to 46011 posting, there are indeed four coaches on site. Another 12 wheeler and a Mk 1. The two 12 wheelers at the front are as might be expected very faded and the underframes are home to many seabirds.

post-276-128378851766.jpgpost-276-128378856278.jpgpost-276-128378857917.jpg

Hi Judge Dread.

Are you sure that the third Pullman (The one behind the two facing the road) is a 12-wheeler ?. I've got it down as being 'SAPPHIRE', one of the 1910-1913 batch, which were 8-wheelers.

Regards.

Hi Judge Dread.

Are you sure that the third Pullman (The one behind the two facing the road) is a 12-wheeler ?. I've got it down as being 'SAPPHIRE', one of the 1910-1913 batch, which were 8-wheelers.

Regards.

To be honest, no I'm not sure. The photographs in question were taken atleast two years ago and a view of the underframe of that coach is serverly limited from the outside and none existent from inside of the building. On the balance of probibility you will be right.

To be honest, no I'm not sure. The photographs in question were taken atleast two years ago and a view of the underframe of that coach is serverly limited from the outside and none existent from inside of the building. On the balance of probibility you will be right.

Cheers for that, J.D., and thanks for the pix., and the links Andy Y, Bar Side and 46011.

As for the coaches' confirmed I.D., and histories, it may well pay some thirsty, passing (railway buff) traveller, to call in for a pint, and have a word with the Landlord.

It's a bit (300 miles) out of my way though.

Regards

• 3 years later...

I thought 'Rosalind' rang a bell.............

My notes show I saw "Rosalind" in departmental service and numbered DW150431 at Cardiff, Canton on Saturday 31st July, 1971

It was in company with "Car No.99" which was by then departmental DW150430

Also on shed were two other Metro-Cammell cars, No.s 340 and 344 displaced from the Eastern Region

Brian R

Archived