Fed Up & in Can Motor Hell: advice required (posted for aide-memoire only)

Jan

Fed Up & in Can Motor Hell: advice required

by Jan

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 pm

It seems that every step take forward, I take three back.

Having resurrected an Impetus 48DS from (unintentional) long term storage, I allocated (what I thought was) a previously purchased lovely High Level Micromiser gearbox to the project. Having spent the past few evenings girding my loins and generally bartering my soul with a wide range of deities, I proceeded upon assembly. Now.... this project was in a box with a Mashima 1015......all well and good, I hear you say - but wait! It's not so!.......THAT would be TOO easy....

The gearbox has 8mm fixing centres..... the motor 8.5mm. AAAAGH!

According to the instructions in the box, the 8mm fixing centres makes it (the gearbox)a Minimiser (hide nor hair of which I can find on the High Level site).... so, what I'm NOW resorting to is finding:

A motor of 10 mm diameter, with a 1.5mm shaft, and 8mm fixing centres. Oh, and 15 or 16mm long.... Please someone; shine some light.

I truly hope you can help, because right now I'm tempted to chuck it all in.

Comment posted by Smokebox on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Aaahh ! You need a couple of these icon_wink.gif

file.php?id=60765

Nil desperandum illligitmie carborundum icon_mrgreen.gif

Comment posted by bike2steam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 pm

What I would do,using a round mini diamond swiss type file elongate the first gearbox fixing hole out to 9.65mm across the outside diameters,then second hole to 9.9 measuring with a good quality vernier caliper gauge at the very end of the 'points'.

Comment posted by dwhite4dcc on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 pm

bike2steam wrote:

measuring with a good quality vernier caliper gauge at the very end of the 'points'.

Or the back facing internal measuring points.

One could use one of the Dremel reamer type tools.

I have to say that my High Level gearbox took a Mashima motor without mods although it was/is a Loadhauler.

Comment posted by Adam on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 am

Ream out the mounting holes until it does fit? A hand reamer rather that a Dremel though for something like this! Shouldn't take too much effort unless there isn't enough meat on the etch (but that shouldn't be a problem I'd have thought?).

Adam

Comment posted by Kenton on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 am

Why not give Chris at High Level a call - if he sold you the gearbox and the Mashima is the recommended one then he will have a solution, or a recommended motor. He is usually very helpful.

Also note http://www.zephyr.dt...tumi60/p00.html for useful sizes

Comment posted by davej on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:23 pm

The M-16K open frame type has 8mm centres and is a similar size to the 1015. It has square shoulders though and these can sometimes get in the way.

d

Comment posted by dwhite4dcc on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Adam wrote:

Ream out the mounting holes until it does fit? A hand reamer rather that a Dremel though for something like this! Shouldn't take too much effort unless there isn't enough meat on the etch (but that shouldn't be a problem I'd have thought?).

Adam

This is not a good idea. you must elongate the holes not enlarge them otherwise the head of a minute screw will be resting on about 10% of its area. A sure recipe for capsize and loosening.

Comment posted by Captain Kernow on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:21 pm

dwhite4dcc wrote:

Adam wrote:

Adam

This is not a good idea. you must elongate the holes not enlarge them otherwise the head of a minute screw will be resting on about 10% of its area. A sure recipe for capsize and loosening.

Hmm, it would only be the order of 0.25mm each side, Dave, would that really be too much? If Jan has nothing to lose, it might be worth a try..

However, I do recommend giving Chris Gibbon a call, he was in fine form earlier this week when I rang to place an order myself... icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by Adam on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:

dwhite4dcc wrote:

Adam wrote:

Adam

Hmm, it would only be the order of 0.25mm each side, Dave, would that really be too much? If Jan has nothing to lose, it might be worth a try..

However, I do recommend giving Chris Gibbon a call, he was in fine form earlier this week when I rang to place an order myself...
icon_biggrin.gif

Did the sum myself, as you say, it's 0.25mm either way which on an etch of this thickness is just a little more than removing the cusp (and if you overdo it, washers. Not exactly fine mechanical engineering I grant you). I have done something similar you see... Giving Chris a call is easily the best bet though.

Adam

??? posted on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Dear All,

I would just like to say a hearty and sincere 'Thank You' for all your advice and input into my problem; even the 'offset screw' made me smile. I shall endeavour to ring Chris soon - but the chances of any more hobby-related purchases will have to be put on hold (I sneaked a one-eyed peek at the bank balance today..... icon_eek.gif (and NOT in a good way!). I shall exercise Percy Verance.

Look out for more basic errors on these boards soon...

Thanks again

Jan

Archived