Narrow gauge railcar

hoovernut

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick

A couple of other ideas for you - use the Port Wynnstay Festiniog 'Bug Box' coach sides to make a railcar as shown part way down this page http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/TVG/wigan.htm Model by Tim Allsopp and photos taken at Wigan 2009.

Also Mount Blue do 3 different laser cut timber bodies for the Bachmann Truck - Open Back, Closed Freight Van body and Passenger all illustrated here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/MountBlueModel/stock.htm scroll to the bottom of the page for the passenger one.

Mike

• 4 months later...

I am lucky enough to operate a 0-16.5 , 7mm layout called "Creek Gone & Rattleswick and i would like to build a railcar to operate on his layout. I have had a look around the internet but so far i have drawn a blank and wondered if anyone had an idear where to look. the layout is located somewhere on the midlands/ welsh border close to a river estuary and in the steam era. Im have thought about scratchbuilding but my skills are a bit shakey so a model kit would be better for me. thanks in advance for any guidance.

I have drawings for a large range of Narrow Gauge Railcars and construct to order to a large range of scales sample pic attached:

hoping this is of interest.

post-12001-0-57119700-1305113111_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

what might be helpful as inspiration, something i see all the time on the 7mm scale association modular layout is two volkswagon vans turned into railcars and coupled back to back, and also two vintage busses on rails back to back. both sets painted in white and green

• 2 months later...

here are My railcars

No's 3 & 5 built By John Teal

5963302487_9b4273b66e_z.jpg

003 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

5963324571_0d9059d213_z.jpg

014 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

No 10 a steam push pull the loco is a smallbrock models kit but fitted with a terrier chassie & thw coach body is a shortened Bachmann On30 coach

5704619632_a63d9908ea_z.jpg

003 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

5704054887_a49a4847eb_z.jpg

004 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day, we will be making a 3D printed 'Loco up n Running in an hour' in the next few weeks, in readiness for our Narrow Gauge Railway Open Day on Oct 8th in Corse & Staunton Village Hall GL19 3RQ, 7mm NGA & 009 Sales in attnedance.

see image attached for progress todate. comments welcome

chrisj

post-13086-0-94759800-1315738569.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Well, this thread has been dormant for ten years or so.  It was, however, the trigger for my wish to have a narrow gauge railcar in ON30 so it seems appropriate to show the ultimate result here.

The start was a part-built  Branchlines kit, bought from e-bay.

This model has an interesting panel structure that is just screaming for an elaborate paint-job.  The back-story here is that an up-market guest ranch called the Bar-L (the Dude Ranch to the locals) has been established in wildest Arizona, miles from any usable road.  The ranch has a spur from a nearby NG short line and uses a railcar to transport its wealthy guests to and from the nearest junction with the main line and to fetch supplies.  For those of you who do not recognise the name Bar-L, I suggest that you ask a Glaswegian, or look it up on the inter-webby-thingy.  Then read the text on the photograph showing the back panel.

The railcar panels were drawn using Open Office presentation software and printed onto white-backed transfer sheet.  Open Office is much the same as MS PowerPoint, but it allows one to work at a much higher level of magnification (and it is free!).  These packages allow the transfers to be draw to exact measurements from the model panels together with whatever lining, lettering and graphics you wish.  The only difficulty is matching the colour printed onto the transfers with the colour painted onto the rest of the vehicle.  You will drive yourself to drink trying to achieve a good match (harken to the voice of experience).  My answer was to side-step the issue and make a clear contrast between the colours – well, that I my story and I am sticking to it.  The transfers were spray varnished before applying them to the model; the rest of the model was then varnished to match the finish on the transfers.  I think these transfers have worked well, although the vertical alignment could be better. 

To my shame and disgrace, I have failed to make the Branchlines chassis run smoothly through PECO insulfrog points.  I eventually gave up and decided to use the mechanism from the Hornby Ruston 48DS diesel/flat wagon combo.  The chassis from the Hornby flat wagon fits nicely (with a bit of butchery) under the railcar.   It was straightforward to contrive a short trailer to fit over the Hornby drive unit: the packing cases (heavy white metal brutes) cover the motor and provide weight.  It looks very cute, and now runs beautifully.

My first thought was to post this in the Ruston 48DS thread, but it is probably better for my own safety to hide it here and hope that no-one from that thread spots what I have done.

Johnsy

A Fifer on the Costa Clyde

PS How does one place a photo in a particular part of the text, please?

Reduced Front.jpg

Reduced Rear.jpg

Reduced Combo.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello Johnsy,

Just brilliant! Beautiful model and fantastic finish. Very clever use of decals too. One to be very proud of and I trust will be a frequent runner on your layout.

On the photo matter, upload your photo and when you get to the part of the text where you want it click on the photo in the box at the bottom of the page which shows the photos you have uploaded. Hope that makes sense!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1