Tactile Paving in N Gauge

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at some of the Slaters stuff, particularly some of the slate roofing sheets. This can be used to create a reasonable representation of paving slabs. Your other option would be some for of paper covering. Scale scenes?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/peti/guidanceontheuseoftactilepav6167?page=8#a1024

has the drawings you need if you want to get the tactile surface right. I would suggest printing it. The actual blobs are 5mm high, which in N makes them a whopping 33?µm high. So you could probably get the correct height by simply using thick ink ;)

Might be worth pointing Jon at scalescenes at the drawings as he already does platform surfaces, pavement etc

Alan

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/peti/guidanceontheuseoftactilepav6167?page=8#a1024

has the drawings you need if you want to get the tactile surface right. I would suggest printing it. The actual blobs are 5mm high, which in N makes them a whopping 33?µm high. So you could probably get the correct height by simply using thick ink ;)

Might be worth pointing Jon at scalescenes at the drawings as he already does platform surfaces, pavement etc

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for that, I had that pic already and was considering scalescenes as my platform tests have been made with his printouts, very nice they are to!

On a slightly separate subject, do you do an etch of the long drain covers as seen here?

DSC_9215.jpg

I would've thought that suggestion by use of colour would be enough?

I see that the guidance says "The surface can be any colour other than red, but should provide a good contrast with the surrounding area to assist partially sighted people." Is it normally a buff that is used though?

The drawings also seem to suggest a white line at the platform edge, but I don't know if that's a must.

Cheers,

26power

The ones I have seen are similar to Gareth's pic of Newark - white line at the edge as usual, tactiles immediately behind the platform edging and sometimes a yellow line behind the tactiles. Distance from the tactiles to the platform edge depends on the size of the edging slabs.

Archived