Heljan 7mm Deltic

brian daniels

Over the coming months I intend to slowly bring my Heljan Deltic up to late 70's early 80's appearance with filled in sandbox openings plated over headcode box filled in quarter-light and other added details. If I can get away with it I would prefer to do this without recourse to a full repaint. Of the current paint suppliers who does the nearest paint match to the Blue and Yellow used on the Heljan Deltic. I would then intend to give the loco a blow over with a satin coat before weathering as Deltics in service did not run around with a total overall matt exterior finish.

And a question for Brian D should I have to repaint the loco are the glazing units just a pressure fit and can these be pushed out without the likelihood of major fractures. I see the model comes with a comprehensive list of spare parts so I guess broken items could be replaced but with a short run model I doubt these will be constantly produced by Heljan

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob

The paint finish is matched to Railmatch but I am sure the yellow is a Chinese made up colour as it is a bit pale. I too will be doing a refurbished Deltic at some time but I can't see how you get away without a repaint especially when you fill inthe inner sandboxes.

The side windows push in ok, and you might have noticed that there is some black tape inside that stops you looking right through, that pushes in with the windows ok. I did paint the raised outside of the side windows silver whilst I had them out. I did not push the cab windows out but I think there was a bit of glue holding them in. I know Howes have replacements, but are not painted with the silver frames.

I gave the Deltic a run on the old Holiday Haunts layout today and took a couple of videos of it. I am getting to like it a lot more the more I run it. I like the side on shot the best. I am also getting it on blue stock slowly, must get some blue and grey coaches behind it next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJk3sECXUnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIXp1O3WOGo

• Like 3

Hi Brian

If that means you are compiling a list of items for someone to produce on your behalf I would be interested in learning what they are. I would certainly like a set of Headcode box covers. I note the even smaller of the two types provided in the DJH kit would require filing to fit and anyway I would prefer to keep them for the kit. Nose steps would also be a must and save me making them If you prefer just PM me with the details

Regards

Bob

http://tracksrevisited.smugmug.com/

Edited by Silverstreak

Although I saw this at Telford I had a better look at one today at my local model shop. I'm not so bothered about the 'low' side grille or any possible (but microscopic) errors on the nose profile - to be honest I think that's partly an effect the yellow nose has, and partly camera lens distortion in pictures - what does grate with me a bit, and it's the same on the 37, is the big grey cover inside each cab that is desperately trying to hide the motor. :( These covers also seem to mean the seats are set impossibly far forward?

>>>what does grate with me a bit, and it's the same on the 37, is the big grey cover inside each cab that is desperately trying to hide the motor. :( These covers also seem to mean the seats are set impossibly far forward? <<<

I agree with you however, when you take the body off you can see that the motor covering could be largely dispensed with as its mainly there to hide the large brass bearing sat atop of each motor. The gap between the cover and bearing is quite generous and I guess is there to deal with potential fore/ aft rocking and side movement of the bogie. As for the seats these could be cut off and re-sited, albeit new spiggots would be required for the seats to be fitted onto. In reality a Deltic footplate is quite a restrictive space in fact best described as a small cubicle with a central entry point to the main footplate area between floor to ceiling backplates that are situated directly behind each seat . These jjust about line up at the point where the side glazing is split into two windows. This enclosure could I feel be replicated once the motor moulding part of the footplate was removed. Whether I or other Heljan Deltic owners would want to go that far is another matter I have yet to decide but its not impossible.

Regards

Bob

• 2 years later...

Did anyone on here buy a two tone green deltic ?

I can just about afford to buy one more 0 gauge loco, so the choice is down to a green deltic or maroon western, both are getting a bit thin on the ground and I've not yet seen a green deltic.

My concern is how it looks given the problem with the nose side grille and the light green lower body side colour.

Any help much appreciated :-)

Did anyone on here buy a two tone green deltic ?

I can just about afford to buy one more 0 gauge loco, so the choice is down to a green deltic or maroon western, both are getting a bit thin on the ground and I've not yet seen a green deltic.

My concern is how it looks given the problem with the nose side grille and the light green lower body side colour.

Any help much appreciated :-)

It's wrong and it affects the relationship between the yellow warning panel, the front step and the lower green band. How much this bothers you is probably down to how familiar you are with the prototype. I really wanted one but I couldn't live with this once I'd noticed it.

• 3 years later...

I'm looking at correcting the deficiencies with the Heljan Deltic. The nose grilles can be sorted as can the bulbous side/front window interface but is the slope on the bonnet to correct? Does it have enough slope?

It won't be 100% correct as that is too much work, but it should be an improvement.

Cheers

shane

• 2 years later...

I have recently purchased (secondhand) an O gauge deltic and would like to fit sound to it. Has anybody got any recommendations for me? I could fit it myself if it is straightforward or, alternatively get it fitted professionally if it’s a bit tricky.

Many thanks in advance for any help members can provide.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, paftrain said:

I have recently purchased (secondhand) an O gauge deltic and would like to fit sound to it. Has anybody got any recommendations for me? I could fit it myself if it is straightforward or, alternatively get it fitted professionally if it’s a bit tricky.

Many thanks in advance for any help members can provide.

Sound projects are so subjective, but my view is that Legomanbiffo’s recordings and set up are the best on the market. As for fitting the decoder and speaker, it is a relatively simple wiring job and there is plenty of space in the body for one, and possibly two, really chunky speakers. Fantastic! 

8 hours ago, uk_pm said:

Sound projects are so subjective, but my view is that Legomanbiffo’s recordings and set up are the best on the market. As for fitting the decoder and speaker, it is a relatively simple wiring job and there is plenty of space in the body for one, and possibly two, really chunky speakers. Fantastic! 

Thanks for your advice, I’ll make some enquiries about Legomanbiffo.

On 25/09/2019 at 15:21, paftrain said:

Thanks for your advice, I’ll make some enquiries about Legomanbiffo.

Hi. I have installed a number of big Deltics with Legoman sound, and a pair of Charlie's EM3 huge speakers. A small bit of chassis modification is required for the speakers, and the chip sits in the fuel tanks. Feel free to drop me a pm if you need any advice with regards to fitting.

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Hi. I have installed a number of big Deltics with Legoman sound, and a pair of Charlie's EM3 huge speakers. A small bit of chassis modification is required for the speakers, and the chip sits in the fuel tanks. Feel free to drop me a pm if you need any advice with regards to fitting.

Hi Lee,

I’ve sent you a pm (assuming I’ve done it correctly!).

regards,

Paul.

• 1 year later...
On 23/09/2010 at 22:38, deltic17 said:

Brian,

Firstly - that's a nice job you've done on the Deltic - by the way I have a question - you know the photo above showing the Deltic with etched DJH headcode panels - do you or anyone else know where you can buy such 'plated over' headcode panels in 7mm? without having to buy a whole DJH kit!. I'm sure someone must do them but I never seem to see them advertised anywhere - or are they in the MMP loco details set? - although that is £30+?????

Hi, I have purchased 7mm size cover plate for a deltic from protoneo.com they do a few parts and accessories as well as nameplates. I am looking at the marker lights and possibly maybe using a thin plastic sheet, they do not look white, maybe a hint of grey in the colour ? Hope this helps, Mark

IMG_6760.jpg