Heljan 7mm Deltic

brian daniels

Thanks for the white balance info Dave, must try it sometime.

Now we are in the mood for upgrading one of these already I have taken this picture with an etched headcode panel from a DJH Deltic and an etched step from a DJH 37 blue tacked on. If you want to do a re-furbished one than fill in the sandboxes but I don't know what you can do to the quarter lights. Could you use filler on the glazing or just paint it blue! The bogies are taken from their 37 so they have the raised edge of a fabricated one. They won't make a new sideframe for this as they did not for the 4mm 26/0 with the leaf springs. You might be able to remove the raised edge as you have to do this to the DJH Deltic if you want a cast bogie. The bogie could do with a new step etch with holes in the side and see through step treads whilst you are etching corner steps, headboard brackets, re-furbished headcode panels etc. As was said this is not mine so I have to give it back to Heljan to represent what their model will be and not what it could be. I would love to weather this but it's probably not what they want.

post-6766-006307600 1284229397_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

I have been following this thread with interest over the past couple of days.. :D ..I have to say the 'Duke' is looking rather nice! (plates are on there way BTW ;) )

One thing that doesn't quite look right though is the position of the nose side grille?.. it seems too low on the bodyside which doesn't stand out too much on a Blue loco but it will be highlighted when you try to do the light green band on a Green one? :unsure: .. here's a pic from the GC this last weekend of No 9 with tape measure (20.5") might be worth checking out! post-437-063801400 1284419977_thumb.jpg

I can definately see me having one though :lol: .. might just have to enlarge the 4mm detailing bits me thinks! ;) B) ;) ;)

All the best

Brian

• Like 1

See what you mean Brian. As you say I hadn't noticed it in blue livery but most certainly would in green. Lets hope as this is a pre-production model something may be done to correct it.

I have made a list of etched parts to tart one up,

finer lower lamp brackets

Thicker headcode silver suround

Fold up headboard brackets so you get a slot in there.

Boiler filler next to the center grill.

Front corner steps and bogie steps from a decent thickness etch as especialy the corner steps are going to get knocked.

Do you think there is anything else?

Well I recon I have finished it now I have the plates on from Shawplan/Brian. I varnished it again with a bit more gloss as I thought it was a bit flat for a top link loco. I WILL weather it but maybe not until next year, just have to wait and see what Mr Heljan wants.

Sorry about the rather cruel blow up of the worksplate but you can just make out the wording. Oh yes the worksplates should really be blue but if I painted them I think you would loose the details and they would probably just look like blue rectangles on the body. So I left them black so they show up.

post-6766-079490200 1284559758_thumb.jpg

post-6766-010741300 1284559761_thumb.jpg

post-6766-044229600 1284559764_thumb.jpg

post-6766-073830200 1284559766_thumb.jpg

Well done Brian; now you have got it finished it definately looks the part. As you said it could possibly due for a bit of subtle weathering around the underframe.

As I said previously it looks like a Deltic and that is most of the battle!

Richard

Great stuff Brian. I'll have 55 015 in Blue with Finsbury Park White Windows please... :D :D :D

Only kidding... although I have to say - assuming the usual "Tower" price of £425, that this is one Heljan loco I would be quite happy to pay that amount for, had I got that sort of money. It still seems a bit steep for the smaller Bo-Bo locos, but this looks worth every penny.... B)

Only kidding... although I have to say - assuming the usual "Tower" price of £425, that this is one Heljan loco I would be quite happy to pay that amount for, had I got that sort of money. It still seems a bit steep for the smaller Bo-Bo locos, but this looks worth every penny.... B)

Tower models website has been updated and now shows the price of the Deltic will be £475.00 (rrp £599.00). Hattons are still showing a pre-order price of £460.00.

Got some transfers on it now all bar the data panal that I am still waiting for from Precision labels. Interestingly the Deltics never had any overhead warning flashes for a long time. I had to push the cab side windows in to line up the arrows with the center window. I have put the larger arrow on this as they did not start using smaller ones until the late 70's. I have painted up the desk which is a very nice piece of work, shame about the motor covering beind it though. Made some headcodes up as well. Heljan have done a nice job of the tanks but we will have to wait and see whether they paint all the detail on them.

Looking at the photos nice. But I am now drowning in a sea of froth. I'm on page two or three, no one has had a go.

Right I'm a steam man I dont like how the step in the body side looks. That is all I can say.

Have to go now as the men in the DPS coats have come to sort me out.

OzzyO.

Not sure about those either. They are an etch glued in so might be able to pull them off.

Hello Brian, if you mean the cab step its just dont look right maybe it is not recessed in to the body side enough. The large nose end grills look about the right size but to low down and a bit to far forward.

Nice job all the same.

Didn't get chance to have a word at Telford.

OzzyO.

Brian,

Firstly - that's a nice job you've done on the Deltic - by the way I have a question - you know the photo above showing the Deltic with etched DJH headcode panels - do you or anyone else know where you can buy such 'plated over' headcode panels in 7mm? without having to buy a whole DJH kit!. I'm sure someone must do them but I never seem to see them advertised anywhere - or are they in the MMP loco details set? - although that is £30+?????

Brian,

Firstly - that's a nice job you've done on the Deltic - by the way I have a question - you know the photo above showing the Deltic with etched DJH headcode panels - do you or anyone else know where you can buy such 'plated over' headcode panels in 7mm? without having to buy a whole DJH kit!. I'm sure someone must do them but I never seem to see them advertised anywhere - or are they in the MMP loco details set? - although that is £30+?????

Hi,

Have you tried contacting DJH direct? A long time ago I managed to buy an etch from their A1 kit in OO which had some parts I needed for another model. Worth asking if they will supply separately; you may have to buy a complete part of etch with bits you may not want but at least it is not a complete kit

Richard

Hello 55017

I don't know of a supplier of the plated headcode panels unfortunatly but as has been said you might give DJH a ring as I do wonder what they do with all the "spare" etched bits they get when they do a 47 build for example. There are 2 sizes of the headcode etch in their Deltic by the way. I am sure that when the Deltic comes out that Shawplan of Pete Harvey may well do an etch detail set for these models, I am living in hope anyway:)

If only my old man was still alive - he would have loved one of these! :) He was fanatical about Deltics (and Peaks, and EM1s.....).

Stunning loco - may have to purchase one of these and relegate the OO Gauge Bachmann model that is in t'loft for my little un's trainset, when he's old enough!

Nice work Brian on bringing this one to life.:D

Hi Nidge, when ordering the data panals you have to sort out the style and content you want precision labels It helps to go on this site Number Panels and work out what to fill in.

Thought i would take a pic in the garden with a JLTRT MkIId. I allways thought the MKII was a bit on the vertically challanged side, but it must be said I have not measured the Deltic either.

Does anyone know of a camera that does BR Blue justice?

Hello Brian,

not sure of the Mk2s but the Mk1s are 12'4'' and the Deltics are 12'11'' so 7'' difference between the two of them. The Deltic doesn't seem to have the bulbousness to the sides and the turn-under looks a bit lacking.

OzzyO.

Brian,

Thanks for your reply - I will give DJH a call - I'm amazed nobody seems to do them at present as I think they would be quite popular - I was quite fancying some single ones too to modify a Heljan 37 similarly. Also a number of people must want to modify Heljan 47's too in the same way.

Just for completeness - re the plated over headcode panels - I spoke to DJH but unfortunately they will not provide these separately - totally inflexible actually but if that's their policy......there's got to be a big demand for these for the forthcoming Deltic in BRBlue, plus existing Heljan models such as Class 47 & 37. As has been said above hopefully someone will spot the gap in the market here and bring some out. You can get all these things in 4mm but sadly not 7mm!

• RMweb Gold

Just for completeness - re the plated over headcode panels - I spoke to DJH but unfortunately they will not provide these separately - totally inflexible actually but if that's their policy......there's got to be a big demand for these for the forthcoming Deltic in BRBlue, plus existing Heljan models such as Class 47 & 37. As has been said above hopefully someone will spot the gap in the market here and bring some out. You can get all these things in 4mm but sadly not 7mm!

Can't see Brian at Shawplan missing this one :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Gratuitous bump!

Nipped into Howes this morning (just for a browse you understand ;) ) and blow me down there was our Brian's handywork on show in the glass cabinet... the Deltic looks superb in the flesh, it certainly captures the bulk of these machines to a tee. I wasn't really looking for the tumblehome but the way the body sits on the bogies is bang on... the model is perched on the top shelf of the cabinet and me being only four foot twelve and a bit was looking up at it, as if I were at ground level, standing next to the real thing. The front end and general 'profile' of the cabs look just right to my eyes. The blurb next to the model said it should be available around March next year.

Going back to Richard / 47 401's post (#50) regarding the first fitting of ETH equipment.... I've just found two early b&w shots of D9007 with the jumpers fitted.... the first one is by Norman Preedy (Book of The Deltics, small softback published by Peter Watts in 1978) and shows it at Newcastle in green / full yellow ends on 10/9/67, the second is by John Cooper-Smith (Deltic Pictorial published by Jahn Vaughans Railway Pictorial Publications c1977), showing Pinza at Peterborough on 18/7/69 in blue / full yellow ends with the D prefix still intact.

Found another unusual one in the Norman Preedy book, namely 9009 Aycidon at KX on 15/5/73 in blue with domino headcodes, a full three years before most other classes had them. IIRC there was one other Deltic so treated in 1973, can't recall which one though!

Incidentally, the HJ 7mm 26 was sat next to 9014 at Howes.... very nice ;)

Nidge