Farish 3MT 2-6-2T

grahame

Odd that I can't find a thread about this model.

Still, I see that Hattons now have it in stock and adverts in the commercial mags suggest it is available. Has anyone got one yet? Any pics, comments, feedback?

G.

• RMweb Premium

It seems that quite a few Farish locos have managed to bypass the 'new releases' page at ehattons.com.I had no idea it had arrived until you spotted it.

I may grab one at TINGS on saturday.

:D got mine this morning along with a 4mt small tender, both run nice , next job is to search some chips, local shop tells me there hard to get at present, going into Carlisle next week so you never know !

mr B .. ( forgot to mention, had to buy my own birthday present's :( )

It seems that quite a few Farish locos have managed to bypass the 'new releases' page at ehattons.com.I had no idea it had arrived until you spotted it.

The new releases page at ehattons seems to be completely useless - it often lists the same products as new in stock on nearly everyday throughout a month or so if you search backwards. I use to use it as a guide as to when stuff appeared but its pretty useless in that respect. The old ehattonsv3 page was as far as I am aware always pretty accurate but that disappeared earlier this year.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Which versions are available? I'm after the green one, been waiting years.

According to the Bachmann website (for the last couple of days at least) Early emblem 82016 - although I've not been advised my pre-order is on it's way yet - and Late Crest 82028 are shown as 'In Stock'.

Lined Green/Late Crest 82005 - which I also await eagerly - is still shown as Sept/Oct.B)

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

My one has arrived - a very nice looking model;

G.

Hmm. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool D&E man, but that is one seriously nice looking Kettle. How does it run Graham? I feel the wallet could be in danger this weekend!

Cheers,

Tom.

I've had mine for a couple of days now and have to say that straight from the box it was a pretty poor runner.

I had to bend the pickups out to make better contact, adjust one of the slidebars which was catching on the coupling rod, and after all this the loco still had a really bad wobble. This was cured with a requartering of the central wheelset.

Now (finally) it runs superbly, with no wobbles or tight spots and is very controllable and powerful (had it towing 58 wagons no trouble), as well as virtually silent.

Another great model, in my case let down by the inaccuracies of mass production.

Cheers,

Alan

I have also been contemplating the usefulness of the chassis on these locos - I wonder if it could be put under a Dapol Ivatt 2MT tank body, as the Dapol chassis is now looking pretty second rate in both looks and performance compared to the 3MT!

Expensive conversion though.....:(

Cheers,

Alan

My 3MT runs well from the box. At crawling speed there is a hint of catching when the LH coupling rod reaches the top of the wheels. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the mechanism catching on something or is it more likely to be a quartering issue?

My 3MT runs well from the box. At crawling speed there is a hint of catching when the LH coupling rod reaches the top of the wheels. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the mechanism catching on something or is it more likely to be a quartering issue?

Check for catching of slide bar and the coupling rod - they were catching on the RHS of mine.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Well, my 3MT is faulty--it will only run forwards (and that badly) and is causing the controller to cut out. It's going back. It's my third faulty Farish loco (the others being a Crab and a Class 31); up to now I haven't had any problems in this regard with Dapol--although my Ivatt 2-6-2T is a poor runner. As yet my best running small tank locomotive is an old Minitrix Ivatt 2-6-2T -- it's just a pity that it doesn't look like an Ivatt.

I've just got around to testing and running-in my 3mT and I have to report that I'm a little dissappointed with it especially after just running-in a pair of Dapol 58s which were silky smooth. The 3mT was hesitant and jerky and needed prodding to get it started in both directions. The front bogie has a tendancy to derail on a simple Unitrack oval and it's prone to suddenly lock up and stop. There seems to be a lot of slop on the driving wheels meaning they can move over and easly cause the rods to jam up.

I've given it a little oil on the spaghetti joints and it's running around a little better now. Hopefully it'll get smoother as it runs in.

G.

The 3mT was hesitant and jerky and needed prodding to get it started in both directions.

I wouldn't read much into this initially - it usually takes an hour of running for them to show their true potential and do tend to be a little sticky at first.

The front bogie has a tendancy to derail on a simple Unitrack oval and it's prone to suddenly lock up and stop.

The bogie wheels did seem a little tight on mine - towing 58 wagons they did seem to lift a little and not turn. Easy adjustment - slightly open out the slots (one turn with a round file did it for me) and slightly bend down the bogie spring. For me trackholding is now perfect.

There seems to be a lot of slop on the driving wheels meaning they can move over and easly cause the rods to jam up.

There isn't much. There has to be sideways slop to allow for running round tight 9" radius curves. There is little slop in the slots though, this would show in wobblyness or tight spots.

If the rods are jamming then something isn't quite aligned as there's enough clearance if it's all set right. The coupling rod on th RHS of mine was catching on an errant slide bar that needed tweaking back into place.

I've given it a little oil on the spaghetti joints and it's running around a little better now. Hopefully it'll get smoother as it runs in.

If its still sticky you'd be better to check the pickups are all making good contact - mine weren't and needed a little bending out. After this a little more running in will be needed to wear off the blackening where the pickups rub.

After tweaking all this myself as I said above (and unfortunately the quartering which was out on the middle wheelset) it's one of the best new runners I've bought, and certainly as good if not better than the Farish 04. I've yet to reach it's limit of haulage capacity as well.

Cheers,

Alan

My nephews loco arrived today (posted to me to save him having to collect from sorting office) so I've saved him the job of running it in and DCCing it.

Took a couple or circuits of the track to get it running smoothly, but all is well other than the pickups needing adjusting. Runs faultlessly through code 55 electrofrogs, but the font wheels need the pickups adjusting.

As far as removing the body there is only one screw to undo (second one in from the front) then ease the body shell up. The shell needs to be eased apart as there are two notches holding it in place. Once removed it can be DCCed - the socket is under the bunker. Its not a job for anyone like me with arthritic fingers - I needed to remove the bunker (two screws) to get at the socket. I only have a Farish decoder to hand, but it fits easily - well it should really shouldn't it!

Photos without the boiler for those considering using the chassis elsewhere. I'm not going to remove any more body bits than necessary.

• 1 month later...

Just sent my 3MT back - seems Bachmann still haven't addressed the maladjusted power pickup problems also on the 03 and 08, plus the one I got wasn't quartered properly so when it did get power it lurched down the track. Looking at it closely I'm not convinced one of the wheels is right either - its either not quite round or off-centre somehow.

It's a shame about all these reported issues with this loco. It's such a decent looking model. It'd be great if it could just be left on the layout not running, but it's supposed to be a working model. Looks like Bachann haven't got their finishing/quality check department working effiently.

And, yep, I took the front coupler off for the photo. It's a NEM socket so just plugs in but I'll run it without the front rapido.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

82005 arrived Monday morning but due to other priorities had to wait until this morning for it's running-in session, I'm pleased to report no problems were encountered and as with 82016 it's a delightful addition to the roster - both in looks and running qualities.

Packed safely away now for the move to our new home - so much left to do... B)

Regards, Gerry.

Had a discussion with my supplier having returned a badly picking up and slightly off quartering one and was told "you will struggle to find one that's any better" so I shall be waiting until there is another batch it seems, or I can actually see one run in a real shop.

Alan

Archived