Wenford Bridge branch

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Hi guys. ive been looking on google and some old books of mine for pics and info on the wenford bridge branch, as would like to make either a diorama or a small working layout. with the impending arrival of the beatties not far away, could anyone tell me what the most used on the branch was (im hoping to buy 30587). any help greatly appreciated.

A few years back when I lived near Otterham I used to go to Bodmin, changing at Wadebridge, it wasn't very often, but the usual Beattie Tank(s) were 30585 and 30587, 30586 had it's water tank feeds raised so was unable to take on water at Penhargard column. So either 85 or 87 would be suitable.

The crew rosters for Bodmin North and Wenford were one crew on the shunts at Wadebridge (usually 30586), one crew for Bodmin North passenger work, (usually an O2), one crew for the Bodmin goods, (either 30585 or 30587) and one for the Wenford goods.

Hope this is of some help.

Frank

• Informative/Useful 1

I believe they are. i think kernows having them as a limited edition. trouble is i cant decide what one i want.

I am considering various layout possibilities in the North Cornwall area, and I think, that by a process of elimination , the loco numbered 30225 (Reference K2104) is the most suitable for the area and the one I shall order soon.

Two of the four proposed models are Isle of Wight examples and therefore not at all suitable for North Cornwall and the other proposed model is a push-pull fitted example and, so far, I have found no photographic evidence of this sub-type of the Class being used in North Cornwall, although there is always "modellers licence" , as the one Kernow are proposing to make was apparently based at Plymouth Friary and Exmouth Junction for part of the 1950's.

To be more "accurate" 30225 would benefit from renumbering to one of the following - 30200 or 30203 which were allocated to Wadebridge for most of the 1950 to early 1960's period (plenty of evidence in Irwell Press "NCR" book and various Middleton Press books for the area). 30236 is another possibility for around 1959/60 - I have books with photographs of this loco leaving Wadebridge and also (rarely) at the branch platform at Bodmin Road Station.

To be more "accurate" 30225 would benefit from renumbering to one of the following - 30200 or 30203 which were allocated to Wadebridge for most of the 1950 to early 1960's period (plenty of evidence in Irwell Press "NCR" book and various Middleton Press books for the area). 30236 is another possibility for around 1959/60 - I have books with photographs of this loco leaving Wadebridge and also (rarely) at the branch platform at Bodmin Road Station.

225 is perfectly accurate for appearances between Bodmin and Wadebridge since, as one of the last two survivors of the class, it spent time up there being photographed by R. C. Riley.* Friary locos seem to have got around since I've seen (and have) photos of 225 and 236 at both Callington, Wadebridge and even Padstow. One point to note is that 236 had the taller cab - are Dapol doing this? I haven't followed the discussions on this model since I built my O2 (30225) several years ago and don't need another. Renumbering RTR really isn't hard either...

Adam

* Admittedly, many of those photos were taken in the same week in '61 or '62 when the loco had been pulled out of store at Plymouth as cover I believe, but it got there and would have done reasonably often I suspect.

225 is perfectly accurate for appearances between Bodmin and Wadebridge since, as one of the last two survivors of the class, it spent time up there being photographed by R. C. Riley.* Friary locos seem to have got around since I've seen (and have) photos of 225 and 236 at both Callington, Wadebridge and even Padstow. One point to note is that 236 had the taller cab - are Dapol doing this? I haven't followed the discussions on this model since I built my O2 (30225) several years ago and don't need another. Renumbering RTR really isn't hard either...

Adam

* Admittedly, many of those photos were taken in the same week in '61 or '62 when the loco had been pulled out of store at Plymouth as cover I believe, but it got there and would have done reasonably often I suspect.

I should perhaps not have used the word "accurate" as it implies that other possibilities could be "inaccurate" which was not my intention. I should have said the locomotives most likely to be used were those allocated to Wadebridge Shed but that other members of the Class would be have been employed in the event of major overhauls or other events leading to motive power shortage.

Your point about the taller cabs is an excellent point as Dapol do not appear to be offering this variant at this stage as the proposed models are 30225 and 30182(P&P fiited) and I gather that the last batch 30227-36 were the tall cab locos so renumbering either of the proposed locomotives to 30236 would be incorrect as there does seem to be a fairly noticeable difference in cab height.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, AlanInCornwall said:

Wow! That is a great sequence of photos - are they ALL on the Wenford branch? Where did they all come from! 

Click on any of the photos and it should take you to the relevant Flickr account.

Personally I never realised how long the dries were until I walked past them earlier in the year, must be over 1000 feet long 

On 17/09/2010 at 19:34, Adam said:

Adam

Since none of the books and magazines I have on the line include photos of 30225 I've renumbered mine to 30200, which features a lot. Presumably '225 was dragged out of store when the panniers (4666/4694) were unavailable - I've read that this happened with the O2s but numbers or sourcing were not mentioned. The Wadebridge crews were no doubt relieved at such occurrences as they viewed the pannier tanks as shunting engines and not suitable for passenger work, even at low speeds! Makes one wonder whether such situations were 'engineered', so to speak.....😉

On 28/05/2020 at 16:13, montyburns56 said:

untitled-622

The nearest clayhood displays the comparatively rare (on clayhoods) roller bearing axleboxes, nevertheless as modelled by both Ratio and Bachmann......for some reason 🤔.......

I've said this before, probably more than once (sorry!) but if Bachmann's clayhood wagon is popular enough to remain in their catalogue year after year, isn't it about time that it at least got a new underframe with NEM pockets (as the shock-absorbing wagons of similar vintage did many years ago), if not an entirely new model - and this time with the vastly more common oil axleboxes so that the clay wagons in GW livery, and peak-roofed vans which share the same underframe, wouldn't look ridiculous.

A complete retool could include the end door hinge bar for empty running without tarpaulin/hood - this would complicate the fitting of the hood and support bar but surely modern manufacturing techniques would find a solution to that......

• Agree 3