Kyle of Lochalsh

Modernist

I hesitate to start this after seeing other excellent Scottish layouts on here recently, especially Ben's Kylesku, but here goes.

It's my first venture into n gauge, and will be my first completed layout of any description if when it's finished. I posted pictures here a couple of years ago of a freelance oo gauge layout of the same period but it was more like a dry run than anything!

First, and maybe foremost, the home for my layout.

kylebase1.jpg

It's five feet by two scenic, which is the size of the basboard frame shown. (The legs in the pic are probably temporary.) Then I'll add a 2 feet long fidleyard, as indicated on the following rough idea of the layout.

kyleplan1.jpg

I'm hoping to scratchbuild the station, so if anyone knows of a good diagram/picture of front/side elevations I'd be interested to hear. I have various pics from books and the web of the building but not really enough info to build it accurately. It might be a case of getting the feel of it.

As you can see there will be room for a bit of a harbour scene with boats. To do this prototype and not include some water would seem remiss! It's one of the attractions of the station. Initially it will have RTR locos, weathered, and a mix of RTR and kitbuilt wagons and coaches. I have a Class 24, Black 5 and a few RTR wagons thus far, with wagon and coach kits on order from the n gauge society. So I'm going to be busy during the coming weeks.

Back with updates soon!

Darren

Hi Darren

Here are a few shots of the model that I made some time ago (about20years) for my old layout based on Kyle of Lochalsh but the layout was scrapped before i finished the building. It is 4mm scale and I may be using it on my new layout Glen Gillie. When I built it I did have a lot of drawings that I made but someone else has asked about them but I cannot find them in The Railway Study Centre library, need them myself so if I do find them in the next few weeks will let you know.

Peter

post-6915-023887800 1284549794_thumb.jpg

post-6915-024504400 1284549799_thumb.jpg

post-6915-096098500 1284549803_thumb.jpg

post-6915-012928200 1284549809_thumb.jpg

Hi

good luck with the project, need any photos, i'm about 18 miles from Kyle untill Saturday.

Gary

Hi Gary, thanks. I'd be glad to see any pics you take of the station building or anything else that was there in the early 60s. I'm especially lacking material of the other side of the station. It's almost always the currently used side pictured.

After going on holiday to Copenhagen by sleeper this summer, I'm now talking my partner round to the idea of a trip to Skye by railway! Not that I'd travel by sleeper again. Too rough for me!

Are there any kits available for that in n gauge John? Thanks for the tip, googled it and found reference to the Kyle line immediately. I searched for any references to green DMUs operating on the Kyle line previously but found nothing. Were they not employed there?

Thanks for your comments everyone! Here's a pic of the harbour taking shape. I cut it out of the baseboard as you can see. There are six inches at the side and one and a half at the front, so room for one or two boats.

kyleharbour1.jpg

By the way, I didn't mention that this will be a DCC layout. I might be in need of a few tips as to where to put mains feeds. I have bought a bunch of code 55 electrofrog turnouts so far. Think this is the way to go?

thanks for the interest

Darren

First generation DMU's were not used on the Kyle line beyond a couple of trial runs. There was too much parcels traffic for them.

For this reason, pretty much every train had a GUV or CCT in its mix (sometimes more than one). Often this would be smack in the centre so that it finished at the base of the ramp at Kyle, to avoid the Post Office vehicle or buses from having to drive along platforms (not that it stoped them, there are pictures of them doing just that!).

I have put a couple of posts on Trisonic's thread here My link, with a series of videos and books that cover the Kyle line, you may find them useful. There are a lot!

Mark

Are there any kits available for that in n gauge John? Thanks for the tip, googled it and found reference to the Kyle line immediately. I searched for any references to green DMUs operating on the Kyle line previously but found nothing. Were they not employed there?

I'm afraid there's nothing to be had in N scale as far as kits for Sc280M is concerned. Now, were you modelling in 00, Hornby brought out a superb model last year . . .

DMUs in green never operated on the Kyle line. That route was loco haulage until the Sprinter units appeared.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, update. I have revised the trackplan, making better use of the extra space n gauge gives, I think. Previously I had seen the bridge as a natural scenic break, but looking at the prototype I saw there was another bridge with road that would make a more appropriate scenic break. This is pretty much as I intend to build it, but perhaps with another track by the goods shed. The turnouts connecting the track on the top side of the platform is missing from the plan too.

kyleplan2.jpg

I have built the platform with cardboard supports, peco platform edging and balsa wood on top. Here is the platform in progress

kyleplatform_support.jpg

and here is it with the edging and balsa top installed. I have sprayed the balsa tamiya primer grey, but it will be further worked

kyleplatform1.jpg

I've also been busy building wagons from various n gauge soc kits and parkside dundas kits. Some have the peco couplings on but I'm not happy with them. I tried the B&B ones from the n gauge soc but found them far too fiddly. I might leave the couplings off my wagons for now in the hope something decent, and manageable, finally arrives on the scene!

kylewagons1.jpg

Next up will be laying track I think, and starting on some of the buildings.

Cheers

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Darren - Watching with interest as I too have a soft spot for Kyle of Lochalsh ;)

In terms of your couplings you should consider DG's which I believe are similar to BB's. As with all things in this scale it can be a bit fiddly but if you have the patience to build some of the society wagon kits then the couplings won't be a problem...and besides the rapidos are really dated now...

Have a look at my last post on my blog as I posted something on the DG couplings and also Bryn did a nice step by step on fitting them to a wagon which can be seen here

hth

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kris. The second wagon is the shock open of the n gauge society kit 36 BR Shock Open & Van twin pack.

Darren

Thanks for that Darren. This explains how when looking at the photo I can just make out the overhang of the chassis.

Darren - Watching with interest as I too have a soft spot for Kyle of Lochalsh ;)

In terms of your couplings you should consider DG's which I believe are similar to BB's. As with all things in this scale it can be a bit fiddly but if you have the patience to build some of the society wagon kits then the couplings won't be a problem...and besides the rapidos are really dated now...

Have a look at my last post on my blog as I posted something on the DG couplings and also Bryn did a nice step by step on fitting them to a wagon which can be seen here

hth

Pete

Thanks, I'll check out your blog. My problem with the B&B couplings was trying to fit the latch plate into the bearing lugs and turn the wire around the dropper loop. I managed to bend all the parts into something like the angles stated, although i'm not sure how accurate you have to be!

Maybe I don't have the necessary tools. I used tweezers and my fingers. I certainly don't see myself making 40-plus of these things anyway, even if I did managed to finish this one.

• RMweb Gold

I certainly don't see myself making 40-plus of these things anyway, even if I did managed to finish this one.

I know what you mean...it can be quite daunting thinking of having to make a large amount...however you could phase them in gradually by fitting them only to certain wagons (say front and back of fixed rakes) and alternatively adding them to each wagon as you build the kits. These are the approaches I have taken of recent.

For sure, the visual benefits of the coupling far outway the time spent in assembling them though.

I know what you mean...it can be quite daunting thinking of having to make a large amount...however you could phase them in gradually by fitting them only to certain wagons (say front and back of fixed rakes) and alternatively adding them to each wagon as you build the kits. These are the approaches I have taken of recent.

For sure, the visual benefits of the coupling far outway the time spent in assembling them though.

Well, yes, if the alternative is to have 40+ rapido couplings on view that might well be the case!

Are.... you was the fella I took half a memory card full of pics of Kyle for.

I will PM you with with them in the next few days.

Glad to see the project is progressing

Gary

Hey that would be great Gary, thanks! I've seen quite a number of photos online but so often they're virtually the same shot. And although google maps is very useful, you can't actually 'walk onto' the platform as they stopped photographing it on the ramp, it seems. So any pictures would be gratefully received.

Incidentally, regarding the bridge with the a87 on it, I assume that current bridge wasn't around in the early 60s? It looks quite contemporary. Anyone know what the bridge looked like in the circa 1962?

Archived