7mm Smokebox Number plates.

MerseyMan

Hi Guys. I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on how to make authentic looking smokebox number plates. A lot of 7mm models have brass numbers on a black background which to me just looks wrong (unless your modelling a preserved 71000). I have tried to paint my numbers on by hand using white paint but have sadly failed in my attempts. Is there a trick to this or is it just highly skilled work.

Thanks in advance

MM

You have a couple of options that spring to mind.

Firstly, if your etched numbers are brass and you'd like to model a prototype that had polished steel numbers, you can try using a silvering compound (eg silver nitrate).  This is used by clock restorers to colour the chapter rings of clocks silver, even though they are made of brass.

Otherwise, if you want them white on black, paint the numbers in gloss white (ignoring any overpainting of the background).  When completely dry, overpaint the entire plate in black and then wipe the black from the numbers.  This is easiest done if the plate is still attached to the fret.

If you want a couple of plates to practice on, just give a shout.  I've got various rejects from the Jackson Evans stock that would be fine for trying out the technique.

Regards,

Simon.

Hi Guys. I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on how to make authentic looking smokebox number plates. A lot of 7mm models have brass numbers on a black background which to me just looks wrong (unless your modelling a preserved 71000). I have tried to paint my numbers on by hand using white paint but have sadly failed in my attempts. Is there a trick to this or is it just highly skilled work.

Thanks in advance

MM

Hi, Another option is to use Clasp Decals (BR21 British Railways Shed Plates and Smoke Box No.) as an overlay to the brass number plate. I was unsucessful will all other methods. This seems to work very well. I was recently able to source a sheet on eBay but the M.G, Sharp Models website still had stock the last time I looked. Regards Terry

Archived