BR Diesel Traction In Scotland

Guest 40-something

Guest 30-something

Hi Folks,

Picked up the above book at the Ayr show today, I believe the book has just been released.

Published by Clyard Novella Limited, ISBN 978-0-9530821-2-4, £25

Hardback book with almost 700 pics (all black and white except the cover) showing very varied locations, workings and classes.

Fantastic book for the modellers of the 60's-80's modeller, with some 90's shots in there too.

Recommended!!!!

Blimey! That one snuck in under the radar.

If you don't mind me asking, which bookseller did you get it from? None of the usual suspects are listing it at the moment...

Thanks for sharing

I can't agree more with Joe great read and photos are great its a big book weighs 650gms I bought mine at Ayr show too from Douglas Blades Books a regular trader at Scottish shows the book as Joe said is published by Clyard Novella Ltd 16 Garryhorn PRESTWICK Ayrshire KA9 2HU 01292 479407 so may be bought from them or Douglas Blades Unit 9 Hill Street Ardrossan, N Ayr, United Kingdom KA22 8HE 01294 605666

a must for those interested in the Scottish BR Diesel 1950 to 1993

eddie

Glad to see I am not the first!

I picked my copy up at the Ayr MRC show on Sat where George was launching it as part of Douglas Blades bookstall.

For those who may be lucky enough to have a copy of George's Scottish Rural & Urban Branchlines the format has reverted to similar to that rather than the later colour album. That is a max of 3 B&W photos per page rather than the smaller photos of the colour album.

It is weighty book! 308 A4 pages with 697 pictures. Fab value for £25.

Chapter Headings are:-

1. Loco Sheds and Stabling Points

2. Diesel Railbuses

3. DMU's

4. Loco Hauled Passenger Trains

5. Stations

6. Junctions

7. Loco Hauled Goods Trains

8. Mixed Trains

9. Goods Yards

10.Trip Freight Workings

11.Specials & Rarities

12. Dismantling Trains

I haven't had time to fully digest this - at 600+ photos it could take many pleasurable weeks! Early highlights for me are the large number of George's own pics of the Northside Caley riverside lines - Partick Central and the like. Also Georges's two pics of Class 37 on the Corpach timber trains in 1979 - I've never seen pics of 37's of these workings.

Timewise the photos span from the late 50's to the early 90's. Quite a few shunters, railbuses and DMU's from the late 50's and 60's. But the majority, from my initial scanning, appear to be from the late 60's thro' the early eighties.

Full geographic spread that should please most folk.

It is not yet October but already feels like Christmas come early in the Glendinning household!

Track down and enjoy I don't think you will be disappointed.

Regards,

Stewart Glendinning

Guest Max Stafford

Another vote up from 12A. This is a big gem of a book that contains some real transition and early blue era gold, I can safely say. Yes, the price is perfectly justified in my book.

Dave.

I also received my copy of this yesterday. I've only spent about an hour flicking through it but it's a thoroughly absorbing book with a huge amount of historical interest (and brimming with modelling inspiration). It's also a sobering reminder of how much of Scotland's railway network has been lost. Well worth the cover price and highly recommended B)

Received mine today.

Definitive.

As Keith says, a sobering reflection on not just how much of the railway infrastructure has gone but also Scottish industry but be very glad that photographers of this quality were around to record the scene before it disappeared.

Probably worth buying 2 copies - the first is going to be extremely well thumbed.

Bruce

Probably worth buying 2 copies - the first is going to be extremely well thumbed.

If you were paying postage across a large body of water, you'd settle for one, soon to be worn out copy. wink.gif

A reminder, if you are ordering from overseas, RM surface is about half the cost of air, and it will still go by air,it just will have to wait till the mail container isn't full, which might add a week or two to delivery times....

Looks super! Saw it on Mr. Jones' desk (he'll snaffle it for sure) and sneaked a peek. Jam-packed with good stuff. One nit to pick, though, the railbus that purports to be SC79976 can't be and must be SC79979. W79976 was still on the Kemble branches till 1964 and didn't go north till 1966 or 1967. Even then it never became SC79976 and still has its W prefixes to this day!

CHRIS LEIGH

Picked this up at the weekend, and have just managed my first pass through it.

Wow. Weighs a ton, and as for content, well lots of useful stuff and the odd surprise, such as MetroVicks on a Glasgow-Carlisle (via GSW).

Didn't see that coming! :blink:

Edit:

Hows about an equally jawdropping steam volume next? :pardon_mini:

My copy arrived last night - I didn't expect it to be that heavy and thick !

Wow ! Excellent colour cover, with lots of truly inspirational pictures inside. I don't think I've seen any of George O'Hara's books before. I've obviously been missing out.

Mine was obtained from Book Law Publications , who seem to be well-stocked with this new title. Details below:

Book Law Publications

382 Carlton Hill

CARLTON

Nottingham.

NG4 1JA.

Telephone:
0115 961 1066

Fax:
0115 961 1066

E-mail:

Ian

A superb book. Never seen so many pictures of NBL type 2s that actually appear to work! I think the black and white photos accentuate the magnificent desolation of the rugged scenery and emphasise the historical aspect that this was in the last century. A real time capsule. Must get going on the Hornby 29 conversions to guarantee one of the manufacturers will announce a NBL type 2:rolleyes:

Guest 40-something

Must get going on the Hornby 29 conversions to guarantee one of the manufacturers will announce a NBL type 2

Thats what Im hoping for too, Im just about at the painting stage!!!

This for me is one of the best books on diesels in Scotland. Some of the shots are taken in that narrow period with green diesels on a steam railway -wth all the paraphenalia

that goes with it- the sheds, water towers ,goods sheds . Places like Forres and Fraserburgh which do not get much coverage have some great shots. Some rarities

like D10 on Ferryhill. Class 20's on turntables. Masses of inspiration for the modeller too, and generally a magic book and well woth the purchase price.

Archived