BR Diesel Traction In Scotland

Guest 40-something

Excellent book, lost count of how many copies members of Stirling and Clacks club bought at Ayr show... was into double figures! As others have commented, having a record of the overall railway scene is invaluable for us modellers and this book is just superb in that respect.

Just a warning however, our club member - a certain Keith Verden-Anderson - has his new colour book out very soon, featuring some more of his father's brilliant collection. Been busy assisting with captions and ID-ing locos for the captions as WJVA was not the best number recorder, but can confirm your piggy banks will be raided again...!

A

Received mine today.

Definitive.

As Keith says, a sobering reflection on not just how much of the railway infrastructure has gone but also Scottish industry but be very glad that photographers of this quality were around to record the scene before it disappeared.

Probably worth buying 2 copies - the first is going to be extremely well thumbed.

Bruce

Ahhhh BRUCE! The very same jbg06003 that is posting videos to youtube....keep up the good work. You have got us lathering in a frenzy over what the next tasty morsel of 1980s Scotland we are getting....... 'The Stirling Boys!'

Just a warning however, our club member - a certain Keith Verden-Anderson - has his new colour book out very soon, featuring some more of his father's brilliant collection. Been busy assisting with captions and ID-ing locos for the captions as WJVA was not the best number recorder, but can confirm your piggy banks will be raided again...!

A

This I presume?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0711034664/ref=s9_newr_gw_ir03?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0XR5S6DZP022CW4DXWGE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic book, certainly bargain of the year. Not so sure about some of the dates though - was there really so many class 29's without centre headcode panels? I know D6123 as the prototype was converted without panels but I thought it was the only one, and I didn't think any class 21's operated past the mid 60's.

D6123 was the only 29 to keep its class 21 style front end. D6109 was the only class 21 which received BR blue and a class 29 style front end. All of the class 21's were withdrawn by 1968, although some had been in store for many years by then anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last got round to having a good look through this book.

What the title does not convey is the number of photos of steam locos. A real bonus, particularly as some of them are in unusual situations. Banking a DMU to give just one example. Some background knowledge of the rail system and it's operation makes using the book more enjoyable. Knowing what classes operated where and when and some history as to the introduction of rail cars and DMUs comes in handy.

I have never seen a photo of Struan before. Several other places that a lot of people have probably never heard of are also depicted. Three trains in Callander station is another shot that caught my eye.

A couple of errors. Page 222 shows a Siphon not a Python. Page 136 has two shots of Currie goods yard. The middle one is Currie, the top one shows the industrial sidings further east towards Juniper Green.

I found it very interesting to do a 'then and now' comparisom in my mind. In some places so much has changed, while in others there is very little difference. Even in some cases where the track has been removed the scene is instantly recognisable.

A first class volume and it will take some beating as regards punch per £.

Bernard

Guys this book sounds very good, but how much coverage is there of TOPS blue era locos? My interest dosent really cover green diesels or steam :)

Regards

Lee

Quite a lot. But bear in mind that many of the more interesting locations had gone by this time. As too had some of the classes of loco that so many of us take an unhealthy interest in. :D Even the section on demolition trains is mainly right at the start of the blue period. Without the trains it is still an excellent book and worth getting for it's insight into the infrastructure and scenery.

Bernard

Archived