Kicking Up a Stink?

• RMweb Premium

This appeared on the local BBC news last night...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-11358844

I suppose one question is are these really 'new' trains, or are the cast-offs from elsewhere - class 313s etc? Also, do Southern have a point? Most of the passengers on these all-stations services would only travel a short distance, if you want to go from Brighton to Portsmouth surely a faster service would be the choice - using class 377s that come with toilets fitted as standard?

Is this yet another media fuss about nothing, bearing in mind some journeys on the toilet-less class 455s can take well over an hour?

• RMweb Premium

These trains are ex-London Overground -AFAIK they never had toilet facilities so Southern couldn't have removed them.

I suspected they are referring to the class 313s, ex Silverlink stock, which as you say are sans WC. Certainly based on the BBC reporting, and the RMT uproar, this is all down to nasty Southern removing toilets for more seats therefore maximising profits, or worst still ordering brand new stock without toilets, as opposed to being given thirty year old trains to solve a stock shortage and told 'there you go...get on with it'!

Forgive my ignorance of the subject, but is there a statute anywhere which states that toilets have to be provided on trains?

Or, is there a sub-section of the rules which provides a minimum distance beyond which non-toilet stock may not run?

After all, most of these trains do not serve food or drinks on board, so surely it is a personal responsibility to be able to control their liquid intake?

Sounds to me like a non-story being stirred up by the BBC and the usual band of stirrers. How many people actually do use the loos on a train, especially on really short journeys? Given the shocking state some members of the public leave public toilets, I can only see it as an improvement. I don't know about anyone else, but I find I can hold it in more than an hour or so.

Funny how us cockneys in the big smoke who have lovely captailstars and the 313s just put up with out loo or refreshement are the south coast customer a different kittle of fish. How come when the pendlionios had the toilet smell issue the self appoint railway expert of union did not rise a signal point let alone a word so dear sir do you mind looking after your members intrests instead of be the chairman of the single party in waiting.

If a train that used to be used had toilets, and a replacement train that is going to be used instead, but does not have toilets, then the toilet facility is being removed. Although no physical work by a plumber has been done to remove the pan.

This is also news worthy, the public needs to know that what has always been part of a service, is now no longer part of said service.

You cannot condemn a news agency for spreading the word.:rolleyes:

But, I am assuming that certain tabloid newspapers assume people think on arrival at the station that:- "oh it's ok because I can go to the toilet when on the train"

Are there any folk who really think like that, or is it just the gin-soaked Murdoch press who dont speak for anyone in this country?

Archived