Ruarchmont

DelticBlade

I haven't updated things from the old site.

Our layout in the loft is a roundy-roundy type thing where the kids really like to watch trains speeding through cuttings, tunnels and stations. Whether that be Deltics on the racing section or Class 50's on the low level 'Western' themed section, with its station with a level crossing next to the platform so trains have to straddle the crossing if they are too long.

After some time of inactivity we have begun to crack on with things. I have finally got round to building platforms for a new loop at my big junction station. Not that inactivity meant that I wasn't doing anything for the layout. I have been playing around with the Scalescenes large station with overall roof and where bits and pieces might fit once we made an effort to really press on.

I intend to get a few photos on here soon but as I have said previously I don't think we will ever be able to match the efforts of some of my favourite layouts on here.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the snow I have been off work and decided to try and get some lighting installed on a station and in one of the engine shed buildings. I have used some of the Maplins LED strips. They appear very bright. By Sunday I hope to have some pictures added.

• 1 year later...

Having spent little time in the loft recently due to the demise of my step ladders I have managed to spend few few hours putting some more bits and pieces together.

I printed some of the outer walls from the Scalescenes and mounted them before stick the card to the back wall of the layout. These have signs for passengers and look ok. I altered some platform surfaces and have begun to build a better platform.

I now have to decide whether to go for the arched roof or canopies for that part of the station.

The other station where I had fitted lights has had to be dismantled after the lights wouldn't work when I installed a new transformer for the lighting, though I think I have solved this the canopies looked like the wonky ones that seemed to be at Kirkgate some years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress.A new strip light put up making it much better to work. It has made it easier to see stuff that needs sorting out such as cock-eyed track.

Anyway the new platform roads have been wired and ballasted. The platforms need finishing properly with edging etc.

The Junction station has one platform with working lights under the canopy. Hopefully another platform will be completed soon.

I have discovered a new job as a little monkey has cut the wire that operate the railway crossing lights so I have got all the wires to sort out. Luckily I was going to provide a new power feed to the crossing.

• 10 months later...

Quick update (minus new photos).

i worked out how to wire the working crossing lights to a small power source and they work very well and i am trying to make some barriers.

The engine shed with lighting is ready to 'plant', the possibility of putting a Scalscene pit is being given some thought.

in the summer i bought some laser cut spped signs from York. i have begun putting these around the layout and they really make a difference to the tracksdie appearance.

It has to be said with small children wanting to play trains there isn't always chance to get things done at a decent pace. Here's to plodding on.

• 2 months later...

I am on with building a Scalescenes retaining wall to fit in a corner of the layout so a town can begin to be built above the main station. As the printer was getting low on ink the colour has turned out very pale, probably a more pink than the limestone we see in Sheffield and Warmsworth. Bridging the railway will then be interesting. Whether to go for a Holgate style bridge which is probably beyond my building skills or a Hexthorpe style bridge with the rest of the town built above the railway.

The kids are enjoying the trains running through the new platforms as trains running from the lower level can now connect properly with mainline trains cross-platform, freight trains can be held as a passenger passes. This has created problems as i am going to have to buy a couple of extra LS150s for the extra point work but fortunately they run off a separate power source.

With the arrival of the cricket season there is never enough time to do stuff so it might well be time spent just building houses and shops for the town along with bits and pieces for the stations.

• 10 months later...

I had a go at building the Lowgates signal box when I was off at Christmas but have only just taken it up into the loft. It seems to be ok for my skill level but I think it would really benefit from some 'proper' window frames and railings.

I thought I'd get a photo from the site of the bridge and posed No15 in front of the box to see if it adds to the station/shed area.

The side wall looks very rippled, it will need lots of disguising, it seemed very flat when it was put in place a year ago but it is all part of the learning experience.post-9137-0-88021200-1391373445_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Nearly a year since the last update. It has been pretty quiet due to footy, cricket and work as well as the usual home stuff.

Anyway, I was bought some lights for Christmas (Train$ave) and have started to install them. I must say they look rather tall but the kids will like the novelty of having a couple of platforms lit up.

I have also started install some working colour lights using the Traintech decoders and at the moment these appear to be half decent. They are controlling just red/green two-aspects before I take the plunge with 4 aspects with route indicators (not necessarily using the same make of decoders).

It has to be said that the layouts on here continue to inspire even when there isn't time to work on my own layout especially those with English Electric Type 5 and also their Type 4 on their roster.

• 2 years later...

A long time since last posting. The benefit of having kids!

An extension/rebuilding project for the 'branch line' part of the layout to make it more sturdy and make the run longer along with the beginnings of DCC controlled signalling on the main layout along with a few additions to rolling stock that fit in with my liking for EE traction.

The Scalescenes printable sheet looks ok, but a bit of repair work is required where the ink has run thanks to the glue and hope to have one length finished soon. There will need to be some groynes built too to stop that long shore drift.

I'm now on the lookout for a dumper and a JCB as I remember seeing them occasionally (by the Teignmouth sign) in a compound and driving along the sea wall

post-9137-0-57488500-1502226241_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-24856000-1502226292_thumb.jpg

Edited by DelticBlade

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There has been no update for ages, having started a new job quite a way from home last Christmas. That job has enabled me to begin building a layout alongside the young people I work with in a special school.

The layout at home now has a fully work coastal section nearly complete. With so much stock, it has meant there is need for more sidings and that is being started, various crossings and turnouts have been purchased. A few more signals have been put in, the wires for those are really fine and are a real pain in the neck.

IMG_20200102_182839.jpg

IMG_20191231_222423.jpg

IMG_20191227_170003.jpg

IMG_20200102_182750.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to connect some more platform lighting, with only two left to do plus the platform building had some LED's added. That revealed the need for a bit of a repaint.

I also swapped the lighting to the Gaugemaster transformer that I intend to use for the layout lighting. It made a marked difference to the station.

Road lighting to do next before moving onto another part of the layout.

IMG_20200202_205422.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since Christmas I have been doing more to make things ready for a project a friend is doing.

Platform lights are up and running, the street lights need resistors connecting before that part of the layout is done.

I wanted to do some photos similar to what might have been seen in the Profile..... or Power of ..... series of books.

There are further photos to add soon of a cricket field that will double as a concert venue, while the project I mentioned above will use the space for a gathering of a large crowd.

There are street lights, platform lighting and some buildings for a main street to position. The buildings have took some time to do, based on the Scalescene 3-storey houses/shops.

I am sure that I had alternative house fronts with colours akin to those seen in the South West holiday resorts, unfortunately I can't find them.

With the Easter Holidays looming and a week left to work - we are open due to it being a Special School, it won't be any different to a normal school holiday unless things change - the street might take a few more weeks to get done.

IMG_20200217_200126.jpg

MVIMG_20200229_141932.jpg

• Like 1