HO Scale MV Caledonian Princess

carl1967

• 2 weeks later...

I never realized this ship had featured as advertising in Scotland (see an earlier post on this thread) but here is a 4mm/ft billboard advertising the crossing, recently erected on my home layout.

post-4092-0-85196200-1331507141_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it is still there, or if they've moved it to Cairnryan (haven't been in the terminal there yet) but in the Stranraer passenger terminal building was a big poster the same as this: I used to fantasize about nicking it and taking it home but as it was 4 foot by 3 foot,glass fronted and wooden framed I might have just looked a bit suspicous! I have a replica now for the wall of the railway room. There were some super photos of the other "Princesses" (Antrim, Ailsa, and Galloway) there too. The current ferry names (Superfast VII & VIII ) don't have the same ring do they?

Colm

Colm,

When she was moored under the Tyne Bridge as a nightclub, a large version of that poster adorned one of her internal stairwells. A lovely piece of artwork it is too, although that was probably lost on the punters as they staggered up/down the stairs!

• 6 months later...

Some of you who have been following this topic may be wondering, why nothing has been posted for a long time. As a result of personal circumstances, Carl is unable to to post any updates for the time being. But all being well there'll be progress to report in 2013

Colm Flanagan

hi all

thanks colm but i think i need to explain!

not long after Model Rail Scotland my wife was diagnosed with brest cancer, so i have done no modeling as i have spent more time at ninewells hospital then i have been home, last friday she had a big operation and recontructive surgery, she is now home but can not do any lifting!

we are back at the hospital today to have her dressings changed.

we will find out monday if the operation was successful or its spred.

i hope she gets the all clear!!!

thanks, carl

Hi Carl,

I was so sorry to hear of your news from Colm. We wish your wife a speedy recovery. I have several friends who have fully recovered from various forms of cancer (two with breast cancer). It seems to touch everyone in some way these days. Recovery rates seem to be so much higher now, thank goodness.

Fingers crossed for Monday.

Best wishes,

Dave

Hi Carl,

My other half has been seriously ill recently too (a very different condition and now slowly on the mend) so I completely sympathise with your predicament and wish you and your wife all the very best. I am sure I speak for us all on RMWEB when I say that we all hope for the best possible outcome given the circumstances for your good lady.

All the best,

Castle

Carl v- All the best to your lady, and to you. The condition is far, far more common than many realise, so please encourage your partner to go for checking (if affects MEN too) - and if you see a collection box, please contribute so this dreadful affliction can be cured/eliminated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

How did I miss this thread!  As someone who used to be a Merchant Navy engineer officer, and later in life drove past the Princess in Tyneside twice a day, I LOVE this model!!

Excellent work, so many models of ships fail to capture the subtleties the curves in a hull, but this is really, really nice.

Best wishes to your wife too, Mrs NHN is a cancer survivor, (thyroid) it CAN be beaten, I'm so pleased your wife has been given the all clear too.

• 3 months later...

just to let you all know that C Princess is finnished and will be meeting colm on the 22nd june to hand her over from the ship yard for sea trials to ireland. i will post pictures after colm has her.

just to let you all know that C Princess is finnished and will be meeting colm on the 22nd june to hand her over from the ship yard for sea trials to ireland. i will post pictures after colm has her.

Oooh, you tease, Carl.

That's fantastic news. Can't wait to see the pics. 

Cheers,

Dave

Archived