HO Scale MV Caledonian Princess

carl1967

Hi All

yes the shipyard has a new order and will be starting work on her on the 27th.

It’s the MV Caledonian Princess.

The Caledonian Princess is accredited with being the ship that saved the Stranraer - Larne crossing from closure in the aftermath of the loss of the Princess Victoria in a storm on 31st January 1953. She entered service in December 1961 under the flag of the Caledonian Steam Packet Company (Irish Services) Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the BTC.

The new ship was an instant success and by 1964 supplemental tonnage was required to assist with the large volume of traffic on offer. With the route in safe waters, ownership of the Caledonian Princess was officially transferred to the British Railways Board on 1st January 1967. By this time the Caledonian Red Lion Rampant on the black-topped buff funnel had given way to the red and black of BR, complete with the white double arrow logo already familiar on other Railway ships. As built she was a two-class vessel with accommodation for 400 1st class passengers and 1,000 in 2nd class. On her vehicle deck was space for 103 cars.

img4.jpg

This model will have full detail and lighting and rotating radar. and is going to be 3.5mm scale. and as the owner of this model lives in ireland, she will even sail the Stranraer - Larne crossing laugh.gif

i will post picture updates of the build as she progresess.

let me know what you all think.

carl

• RMweb Gold

This will be a thread to watch, I loved what you did with Hebridean Isles.

Where do you get the plans of the ferries, Carl? I'd really like to try a 4mm scale "Island" class, or more adventurously one of the original Clyde "ABC" ferries, or Glen Sannox..

Where do you get the plans of the ferries, Carl? I'd really like to try a 4mm scale "Island" class, or more adventurously one of the original Clyde "ABC" ferries, or Glen Sannox..

hi john

i did heb from pictures only, i am doing EIGG an RAASAY the same way.

plans are very hard to come by! i can draw you up a plan depending on the ship you wish.

dave from waverley west has asked me to build him MV Glen Sannox.

i do have some plans, like this of MV Juno. i also have plans for, MV Pioneer, MV Isle of Arran, MV Bute, MV Argyle, MV Loch Portain.

post-6809-089652000 1285067238_thumb.jpg

Hi,

It is worth trying the National Maritime Museum for ship plans, as they have a large collection. Provided they are for personal use you will pay only for the copying cost. I recently got some for the ferry referred to in this thread and they cost over £50.00. But they are copies of the shipbuilders plans so should be accurate, and if you are serious well worth the money! I think they are usually 1:48 or 1:96 scale. The NMM have Denny of Dumbarton's plans available - they built the "Arran" of the ABCs, most of the others were built by Ailsa Shipbuilding of Troon.

Colm Flanagan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info re. the NMM, Colm. I'll have to see what they have.

Carl - I may well take you up on an offer to draw up some plans. I'll be in touch via PM if and when I decide what I want - meanwhile thanks for all the inspiration!

Thanks for the info re. the NMM, Colm. I'll have to see what they have.

Carl - I may well take you up on an offer to draw up some plans. I'll be in touch via PM if and when I decide what I want - meanwhile thanks for all the inspiration!

no probs

Hi Carl,

Just belatedly come across this thread (late again, I know). Glad to have found it and duly marked it as "watched".

I do like the idea of the finished model sailing the Stranraer - Larne route to its new home. Brilliant.

Will be watching with interest as ever.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Carl,

Just belatedly come across this thread (late again, I know). Glad to have found it and duly marked it as "watched".

I do like the idea of the finished model sailing the Stranraer - Larne route to its new home. Brilliant.

Will be watching with interest as ever.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Glad you found it ;)

Any thoughts on Glen Sannox? I will be drawing up a plan for it to add to my plans :lol:

Hi all

Just some model info,

This model is being built in 3.5mm scale.

Length, 1235.5mm

Width, 199.5mm

As the caly has a more rounded shape, i will be building it different to heb, MDF base, 4mm ply formers to get the hull right.

Interesting to see Juno has Schottle propellers, didnt know that !, thought that form of propulsion was more the norm in tugs than ferries.

I traveled on Glen Sannox many years ago from Wemyss Bay in the early 80's, nice ferry and a nice out and back day crossing, as well as taking in the old 'Blue Trains' from Glasgow.

Kindest

Michael

Sublime curves. Oooooooo matron!

Very good. I see your taking it to the next level already with the lighting and stuff. Heb hasn't missed a sailing yet crew over the moon with her.

cheerio

Claggy

hi mike

glad to here it m8

Crickey Carl, you don't hang about, do you? Looking good already. :D

Cheers,

Dave

you do not know me do you dave....ha ha

how about todays work so far!!!

car deck :lol:

the last pic shows the car deck ceiling with holes for the LEDs.

post-6809-095283300 1286292253_thumb.jpg

post-6809-097774700 1286292273_thumb.jpg

post-6809-000219700 1286292298_thumb.jpg

post-6809-046709000 1286292313_thumb.jpg

Is that round disk at the end some form of turntable? If so what was it used for?

Hi Kris

as this ferry was not a ro ro ferry, cars had to drive to the end of the car deck and turn and drive back and park facing the door,

the turntable was used for vans and small trucks that could not turn.

but when she was a nightclub after going out of service it was used as a revolving dance floor..:lol:

Archived