HO Scale MV Caledonian Princess

carl1967

• RMweb Premium

The winch is very impressive. I think you should display it. It would be very well received. I'd love to see something like that at an exhibition.

any comments welcome!!

i am thinking of only posting pictures of the build when i have finnished the bit i am working on!!

what you think?

in the meen time, here are more pictures.

HI Carl, Great to see the progress. I would love to see it at Scotsrail! would you have the funnel done by then? I think that would really show it of!! Hope to see you then.

Hi Carl,

I've just seen the anchor winch and your progress on the bow. I'm afraid words fail me. "Just stunning" is about the best I can come up with.

I saw Mike at New Year but I haven't seen as much of him recently. He's been very busy with work and I've been busy moving house. We said we'd get in touch and try and meet up one weekend sometime soon. I'm not sure of his modelling plans at the moment. The last time we talked about it he mentioned doing something based in Cornwall, as he was already spending so much time in Scotland, but that's all I really know at the moment. Will quiz him when I see him!

Re. your suggestion of showing the ship at MRS - yes, yes, yes! Great idea. I've just got my train and entry tickets, so I'll be there and it would be great to see both you and Cal Princess.

Better go. Work calls and all that.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Looks just like the photo on the cover page of the history book on Larne Stranraer - "The Short Sea Route" . Lovely!

Colm

post-4092-0-66628800-1326842604_thumb.jpg

AHHHHHHHH!!!

Thanks for that pic m8

It shows a lot of the deck items in black!! i have done them white!

But the only colour pictures i have are from when she was the TUXEDO PRINCESS nightclub, so i just did them white, now i know they are a dark colour i am at a dilemma! But even knowing what dark colour to do them is a ? So might Just leave them white. as it looks ok.

HI Carl, Great to see the progress. I would love to see it at Scotsrail! would you have the funnel done by then? I think that would really show it of!! Hope to see you then.

i hope to have the bridge and the funnel done m8

Hi Carl,

I've just seen the anchor winch and your progress on the bow. I'm afraid words fail me. "Just stunning" is about the best I can come up with.

I saw Mike at New Year but I haven't seen as much of him recently. He's been very busy with work and I've been busy moving house. We said we'd get in touch and try and meet up one weekend sometime soon. I'm not sure of his modelling plans at the moment. The last time we talked about it he mentioned doing something based in Cornwall, as he was already spending so much time in Scotland, but that's all I really know at the moment. Will quiz him when I see him!

Re. your suggestion of showing the ship at MRS - yes, yes, yes! Great idea. I've just got my train and entry tickets, so I'll be there and it would be great to see both you and Cal Princess.

Better go. Work calls and all that.

Cheers for now,

Dave

hi dave

thanks m8

what day you going MRS?

Hi all

The foredeck is finnished apart from ropes, chains, and the flag/light pole.

A drill comes in very handy as a lathe..lol

I made the ships bell with it.

post-6809-0-89491000-1326900647_thumb.jpg

And the size!

post-6809-0-13757500-1326900846_thumb.jpg

bell fitted.

post-6809-0-50741100-1326900896_thumb.jpg

Along with the rest of the detail.

post-6809-0-12900000-1326901002_thumb.jpg

To finnsh, paint.

post-6809-0-77723500-1326901086_thumb.jpg

post-6809-0-39844500-1326901102_thumb.jpg

post-6809-0-32418900-1326901123_thumb.jpg

post-6809-0-74089400-1326901149_thumb.jpg

post-6809-0-84908000-1326901170_thumb.jpg

hope to see you all at MRS

• RMweb Premium

Hi Carl

This is a superb and lovely model. Was this the same type of ship that used to do the Hollyhead-Dublin in the 1970's? I remember going on them as a kid when we used to visit Ireland - looks very similar. Can I also ask why 1:87 and not 1:76 scale?

Regards

Mike

Hi Carl

This is a superb and lovely model. Was this the same type of ship that used to do the Hollyhead-Dublin in the 1970's? I remember going on them as a kid when we used to visit Ireland - looks very similar. Can I also ask why 1:87 and not 1:76 scale?

Regards

Mike

Hi,

The "Caledonian Princess" did indeed spend some time on the Dun Laoghaire- Holyhead service, the main ship on that route from 1973 was "Holyhead Ferry 1" which was a bit similar but had a bow door.

Carl is building tjhe ship for me; I chose 1;87 as there are space restrictions in the "dock" area on my layout and the extra 8" reduction in length, and inch or so in width, will allow me to model the Stranraer linkspan area also,- as ships are so much bigger than trains anyway the difference in size will not be noticeable!

Colm Flanagan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply. I thought you might like the following pic of us on the Boat to Ireland back in 73. It's an interior shot and looks just like the interior of your model.

post-9175-0-81131600-1327312423_thumb.jpg

This was taken in port before the stormy crossing - my parents got very ill indeed!

Regards Mike

Thanks for the reply. I thought you might like the following pic of us on the Boat to Ireland back in 73. It's an interior shot and looks just like the interior of your model.

post-9175-0-81131600-1327312423_thumb.jpg

This was taken in port before the stormy crossing - my parents got very ill indeed!

Regards Mike

thanks for that mike, i wish i had colour pictures of the inside of c princess so i did not have to guess all the time...lol

Archived