Parkside Southern/SECR PMV and BY vans

Thanks lads, think I'll give CCT a ring and check they are the right ones I need.

Many thanks,

Grant

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grant,

I'd go with the CCT as well. The Model Master decals are ok but the numbers e.g S1796S are out of scale and too big. I have used the data panels though and added separate numbers from another manufacturer.

Also, there used to be a company called Woodhead that did a brilliant range of transfers including the necessary decals for a SR PMV/CCT/BY and Bogie B. Unfortunately, the're no longer made.

Another hint when building these Parkside PMV/CCT kits is to get some Roxey etched window bars to add that final detail.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I have been a bit surprised to find that the decals for these models - and presumably many others - seem to be post-1948, which is a bit disappointing. [it also suggests that Southern Railway modelling is not common, which is odd given the success of the olive Hornby Maunsells.] So the word COVCAR used by SR on the vans that BR called CCT is irritatingly not leaping off anyone's decal sheet so far - or have I missed something?

Thanks lads, think I'll give CCT a ring and check they are the right ones I need.

No need - I'm here !!

Provided that you want BR steam / early diesel transfers, BL97 is the one for you.

You'll even find the special large numbering for the safe-fitted four-wheeled brake vans; the stencilled cycle symbols for the bike vans; lettering for the Night Ferry brake vans; and for the Bulleid plastic-bodied vans, (though you'll have to scratchbuild the latter).

post-2274-036486400 1285233387_thumb.jpg

Bear in mind that this is a low res. image - the actual transfers are super-sharp.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

• RMweb Premium

I'll add my voice to CCT being the preferred transfer set for these and other wagons. Since finding them a year or two ago I've steadily built up a good collection of John's sheets and i've been very impressed with the results. I've had much better results than with MM and Fox and now only use others sheets if there's nothing on John's site suitable.

Now if only he did sheets of BR steam cab side numbers (0-9) with power classifications - it would save using only a 1/3 of the HMRS sheets (I've no call for the other details on the sheet) ;)

PS If you've got BR(S) coaches formed into sets the following is also very useful:

Sheet BL32 - End numbering transfers for BR Southern Region Bulleid and Mk.1 coach sets. Four numbers provided for each set. Available in white, cream or yellow;

You'll even find the special large numbering for the safe-fitted four-wheeled brake vans; the stencilled cycle symbols for the bike vans; lettering for the Night Ferry brake vans; and for the Bulleid plastic-bodied vans, (though you'll have to scratchbuild the latter).

Funny you should say that...

plasticvan.jpg

One dad did a few years ago now, I've never seen another attempt and I don't suppose we've a need for another (there were only 10, after all)...

Adam

Funny you should say that...

plasticvan.jpg

One dad did a few years ago now, I've never seen another attempt and I don't suppose we've a need for another (there were only 10, after all)...

Adam

Adam,

Very nice indeed - my attempt when I was less skilled does not match up to that standard and I really must embark on the construction of a replacement. The transfers will be better second time round, too !!

Regards,

John.

Adam,

Very nice indeed - my attempt when I was less skilled does not match up to that standard and I really must embark on the construction of a replacement. The transfers will be better second time round, too !!

Regards,

John.

Just to reiterate - it isn't my work but my father's - as you can see, some better transfers would make a (very small) difference.

Adam

Just to reiterate - it isn't my work but my father's - as you can see, some better transfers would make a (very small) difference.

Adam

Whoever built it - it's very nice indeed.

... and if, as I suspect, the lettering was made up from HMRS transfers (or their predecessors) then your father had a very steady hand.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Whoever built it - it's very nice indeed.

... and if, as I suspect, the lettering was made up from HMRS transfers (or their predecessors) then your father had a very steady hand.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Woodhead actually if I remember correctly, but the point still stands, and yes, he does - and mine isn't too bad either. We're both mad enough to try the odd bit of hand lettering too on occasion. Wonderful thing, genetic inheritance. This getting fairly off-topic, however, though it is a good advert for your - rather good - transfers.

Adam

Ah - Woodhead, now you're talking!

Having used Woodhead transfers, nothing else would do when he shut up shop - so I produced my own.

The rest is history.

Regards,

John.

His wagon graffiti transfers were miles ahead of anything else- have you thought of doing something similar?

Richard

No need - I'm here !!

Provided that you want BR steam / early diesel transfers, BL97 is the one for you.

post-2274-036486400 1285233387_thumb.jpg

Bear in mind that this is a low res. image - the actual transfers are super-sharp.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

Hi John,

I was actually after pre-nationalisation lettering/numbering for the Southern vans , and pre-grouping for the SECR vans. Do you do those?

Regards, Grant

Hi John,

I was actually after pre-nationalisation lettering/numbering for the Southern vans , and pre-grouping for the SECR vans. Do you do those?

Regards, Grant

Well you could have said this in the first place and saved us the trouble! Admittedly, it seems we all assumed that you were after BR period transfers, but... On the other hand, if you follow the link to John's website shown up-thread (in John's own signature) will show you that John doesn't do the pre-nat/pre-group transfers. The message you quoted even states this too which suggests that you haven't read the thread as closely as you might have done.

To answer the specific question: The HMRS produce loco and carriage (and these vans were rated as passenger stock) transfers for both the Bulleid and Maunsell liveries. Fox Transfers seem to do the SECR. I daresay Fox will do the SR as well.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

To answer the specific question: The HMRS produce loco and carriage (and these vans were rated as passenger stock) transfers for both the Bulleid and Maunsell liveries. Fox Transfers seem to do the SECR. I daresay Fox will do the SR as well.

It seems I've been borrowing some of beast66606's invisible ink. In message 7 of this thread I indicated that as far as I could see no-one did any Southern Railway decals specifically for these vans - and yes, I had checked all the usual sources including those you linked. I appreciate that decal manufacturers have a need to ensure their hard work is not ripped off, but actually seeing what is on the specimen sheets on the website isn't always easy, and I've bought more than one sheet that proved of no use to me.

I say again, I find it surprising that several manufacturers clearly think it worthwhile each to do bespoke stuff for these vehicles in the BR era, yet none for Southern. The King book and HMRS Register give us info on what size, font and location, but getting COVCAR onto a 4mm Van U is going to take a bit of doing with my eyes.

It seems I've been borrowing some of beast66606's invisible ink. In message 7 of this thread I indicated that as far as I could see no-one did any Southern Railway decals specifically for these vans - and yes, I had checked all the usual sources including those you linked. I appreciate that decal manufacturers have a need to ensure their hard work is not ripped off, but actually seeing what is on the specimen sheets on the website isn't always easy, and I've bought more than one sheet that proved of no use to me.

I say again, I find it surprising that several manufacturers clearly think it worthwhile each to do bespoke stuff for these vehicles in the BR era, yet none for Southern. The King book and HMRS Register give us info on what size, font and location, but getting COVCAR onto a 4mm Van U is going to take a bit of doing with my eyes.

Fair point Ian - and I've no excuse: I had a long conversation with Peter Swift on this subject two years ago...

Adam

Well you could have said this in the first place and saved us the trouble! Admittedly, it seems we all assumed that you were after BR period transfers, but... On the other hand, if you follow the link to John's website shown up-thread (in John's own signature) will show you that John doesn't do the pre-nat/pre-group transfers. The message you quoted even states this too which suggests that you haven't read the thread as closely as you might have done.

Adam

Well Adam, if you had read my original question, you would have noticed, (admittedly my fault), that I did not stipulate I required pre-nationalisation and pre-gropuping transfers. If we all lived in your prefect world I'm sure it would make your day!! :mocking_mini:

Like Olddudders, I too find the railway world didn't start in 1948, and I apologise to John, (of CCT), and to the others who didn't leave snotty replies, for 'wasting' their time.

Grant

Well Adam, if you had read my original question, you would have noticed, (admittedly my fault), that I did not stipulate I required pre-nationalisation and pre-gropuping transfers. ... I apologise to John, (of CCT), and to the others who didn't leave snotty replies, for 'wasting' their time.

I shouldnt speak for Adam, but I dont think 'wasting' his time was so much the issue, but more frustration; from realising that he could have spent more time in the right direction to assist you?

I shouldnt speak for Adam, but I dont think 'wasting' his time was so much the issue, but more frustration; from realising that he could have spent more time in the right direction to assist you?

Sorry Pennine, but I'm not getting into a 'slanging' match with Adam or anyone else. I'm always appreciative of anyone who takes the time to reply to my questions, and whilst I admit I should have worded my question a bit better, I viewed his reply as bit 'curt'.

I'm not an expert on the railways, model or real, and will never confess to knowing all, because I don't, but to re-iterate Olddudders, we don't all model post 1948, and there are still some big (model) gaps left to fill, and this includes accurate and scale transfers for some very excellent kits.

Maybe in the future, model companies like Parkside, could commission a set of transfers that cover all the livery and wording changes for inclusion in thier kits?? I know I'd be willing to pay a little extra, to have a complete kit, (minus paint and adhesive), similar to what Airfix did all those years ago.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the matter, and now consider this thread closed.

Again, many thanks to all who replied.

Regards, Grant

Archived