New website for Rail Express

bigbloke

You can also preview the next issue for free. The digital download idea appeals to me but I wasn't convinced by trying this one out (turning pages and zooming in both seemed quite clumsy) - does anyone know if this would be better if I had paid for it?

Yes I noticed that! I wonder what will replace it? I can't say I ever really got anything from that particular feature. It will be interesting to see how the magazine develops in other ways as the new team take control and get into the swing of things.

• RMweb Gold

Seems there is a lot of promises just hope they can keep them ?

the model section looks a bit more promising I wonder what they have in store now that Mostyn has been dropped I actually enjoyed reading about Mostyn but it was a little to much sometimes but lets wait and see ?

And a big suprise it was early this month lets hope they can keep that up :P

You can also preview the next issue for free. The digital download idea appeals to me but I wasn't convinced by trying this one out (turning pages and zooming in both seemed quite clumsy) - does anyone know if this would be better if I had paid for it?

Good feature that. Thanks for directing us.

• RMweb Gold

So reading between the lines in the editorial it would seem the Mostyn feature was to blame for each issue being late.:rolleyes:

Paul

Speaking for the time I was involved with Mostyn that statement is true (and I have no reason to believe personalities would change)

I had a go at looking at this interesting idea. No problems turning pages or zooming in on the 'prototype' pages. But couldn't zoom in on the 'modelling' pages! Is it just me? :huh: Thanks for heads up. Kev.

I had a go at looking at this interesting idea. No problems turning pages or zooming in on the 'prototype' pages. But couldn't zoom in on the 'modelling' pages! Is it just me? :huh: Thanks for heads up. Kev.

Same here fella, I wanted to read more about the Heljan O Gauge 31... may have to have a flick through in Martins later!:P

I couldn't either. The whole idea of putting issues up for free is problematic , as it undermines sales - I suspect this "crippling" of the free copy is quite deliberate , otherwise nobody would bother paying for the real thing in hard copy.

I suspected that might be the case. I'm assuming also that they won't regularly put the latest issue up as a preview but leave this one up as an example. Otherwise it really would harm sales! I wasn't convinced enough by the preview to go for a subscription - I'd rather have it offered as a pdf perhaps. Much as I love a real magazine in front of me to read I do like the idea of a digital archive of a magazine - takes up less storage for a start. I'd be more likely to subscribe for a year to something like this and then perhaps still buy the occasional really good issue from the shop.

I suspected that might be the case. I'm assuming also that they won't regularly put the latest issue up as a preview but leave this one up as an example. Otherwise it really would harm sales! I wasn't convinced enough by the preview to go for a subscription - I'd rather have it offered as a pdf perhaps. Much as I love a real magazine in front of me to read I do like the idea of a digital archive of a magazine - takes up less storage for a start. I'd be more likely to subscribe for a year to something like this and then perhaps still buy the occasional really good issue from the shop.

It's a bit like the CD vs the MP3 issue. I think that certain issues would be better as saved articles on a PC/laptop/harddrive but you can't beat having the real mccoy tangibly in front of you.

Now I have seen it online and read the articles of interest in the newsagent I no longer need to buy this months edition!;)

Living outside the confines of old blighty I appreciate the opportunity to subscribe to an online download. Simply stated the cost to read 12 issues is just about dead on half price. Postage at 4 pounds per mailing shot 12 times a year adds 48 quid on top of the basic sub. Its a no brainer for me.

Cheers, Tony

Zooming in on the modelling section worked for me.  Not sure if it's the different browser (I use Opera) or a fluke.  Seemed to zoom in by clicking the right hand side of the page.  But pretty clunky on my slow machine.

Cheers, 26power

Archived