ModelTorque

GaryHN

Hi,

Just found out some great news from Graham at ModelTorque when I called him today to order a kit for remotoring my Lima Class 87's, They are due to release some new remotoring kits for Hornby to compliment the current Lima remotoring kits. The estimate release date is in about 4 weeks, Graham is going to email me once they are released so I will let everyone know more details soon.

Gary

Ps I have no connection with the company other than a happy customer.

For the Hornby Ringfield? That could clean up several of my old AC electrics, and a battered class 29. Great news

From what Graham was saying for the Ringfield(Loco and Tender) and also looking at the old X04 motors, I have emailed Graham so hopefuly on Monday will have an answer for you.

Gary

Hi all, I got an email reply from ModelTorque and they are looking at doing the following kits:-

(i) Bo Bo bogie

(ii) Co Co Bogie

(iii) Tender drive

(iv) X04/05

Projected availability : (i) & (ii) : 4 weeks; (iii) : 7 weeks; (iv) : 6 weeks

Hope this helps, As soon as they come out I will be buying one so will let you know what I think about them,

Regards

Gary

• RMweb Gold

X05 could be interesting, if a little narrow in market - the X05 was the TT derived drive unit only fitted to the Caledonian Single and Lord of the Isles locos.

Does he mean X03, the plastic single worm version of the X04?

Nowt wrong with a well serviced X04 anyway ......

• RMweb Premium

I have used Model Torque kit in my old Lima CL60 and it pulls like a trojan as well as being very quiet, If they can produce a kit for Hornby tender drive motors this will give some of my old locos a new lease of life, especially if they perform as well as my CL60, waiting with baited breath.

• RMweb Premium

Have it from an importer that Modeltorque are indeed going to produce replacement motor kits for Hornby Ringfields, this will come as excellent news to all of us who have Ringfield motored locos which can be super detailed but are let down by this old drive mechanism which was good for its day but rather noisey and weak compared to modern motors. If the Hornby replacements are as good as the Lima replacements (and there is no reason to suppose they will not be) then there will be a lot of old favourites that will escape the scrap yard (second hand market) and potentially give years of good service. I certainly have a few locos that will be getting the treatment and almost certainly getting a decoder too, Not sure what the current draw on this type of motor would be? may have to play it safe with a decoder that can take the strain, be interested to know if anyone has used a modeltorque motored Lima loco with DCC.

Power consumption on my remotored Lima class 73 is very low. I have used an old Lenz 1 amp rated decoder but a cheap Hornby 0.5 amp decoder will be more than adequate (apart from the lack of "tweakability" that more CVs would allow!). <BR><BR>The only reason I haven't persevered with more such conversions is the Lima wheels and pickups are the weak point. To get the best out of any such conversion you need to change the wheels to something that doesn't attract dirt like a powerful magnet and improve the pickups at both ends.

• RMweb Premium

Added to which the back-to-back dimensions on Lima sometimes makes pick-up unreliable on todays better-scaled track.

I have a MT-repowered Lima 47 which has regained useful life but still has the gear whine as the gears are not replaced. It still sucks the dirt off the track and coats the wheels when it can touch them but the back-to-backs are too narrow making operation as erratic as ever.

That latter fault is in no way connected with the MT power unit which I have been very happy with.

The question now is whether to repower with Modeltorque or Hollywood Foundry products. Will be watching this space with interest.

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully when the Hornby replacements come along there will not be too many issues with pick up etc. but those traction tyres are a nuisance.

Have it from an importer that Modeltorque are indeed going to produce replacement motor kits for Hornby Ringfields, this will come as excellent news to all of us who have Ringfield motored locos which can be super detailed but are let down by this old drive mechanism which was good for its day but rather noisey and weak compared to modern motors. If the Hornby replacements are as good as the Lima replacements (and there is no reason to suppose they will not be) then there will be a lot of old favourites that will escape the scrap yard (second hand market) and potentially give years of good service. I certainly have a few locos that will be getting the treatment and almost certainly getting a decoder too, Not sure what the current draw on this type of motor would be? may have to play it safe with a decoder that can take the strain, be interested to know if anyone has used a modeltorque motored Lima loco with DCC.

Pete Tisdale of Inter City models in Porthleven Cornwall is certainly looking into importing replacements ModelTorque motors for Hornby Ringfields, which I am sure will be a wiiner for those of us who still have old Hornby locos - albeit very rarely used:blink:

Xerces Fobe

• 2 years later...

From the Modeltorque website -

It is with deep regret that we advise of the passing of the gentleman behind ModelTorque, Graham Rooke, shortly before Christmas 2012.

ModelTorque has now ceased trading and is no longer accepting any orders. All persons that had made orders from Christmas 2012 onwards should have been contacted by now explaining what has happened.

The future of the ModelTorque product range is uncertain at this time, and any decisions regarding it will be made in the coming months.

Any person that has a genuine need to contact ModelTorque can do so by sending an email to tl@modeltorque.com.au

Frivolous enquiries will be ignored.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pete Tisdale from Intercity models in Cornwall who imported these motors told me recently that he was trying to source another supply plus replacements for old Hornby armatures

Archived