Bachmann FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon

St. Simon

The Bachmann website shows all 3 as Era 9. Is that really the case? Had hoped there might be some transfer into Era 7/8 (Early to mid 80s).

Cheers

Chris

Good question, is there any hint of liveries?

Roy

Good question, is there any hint of liveries?

Roy

The only livery I've known of them carrying is bare metal stainless steel, which seems to weather to a sand/beige sort of shade after a while. One of the photos on Paul B's web-site shows one ex-works, which is shiny metal

:http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p41607156.html-

The more usual finish is shown here:-

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p591125.html

The sloping ends on these wagons were rebuilt to look like those in the Bachmann illustration when the canopy design was revised- other wagons were built to the new design.

• RMweb Premium

The only livery I've known of them carrying is bare metal stainless steel, which seems to weather to a sand/beige sort of shade after a while.

There was also one finished in DRS blue.

I'm guessing that any difference in applicable Bachmann eras will be down to minor things like the style of OHLE warning stickers (which are easily changed with transfers from Fox).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

We'll see the big red fella before we see these lush looking models at xmas mate ;) .

Those look like pre production samples, so we're talking at least Jan/Feb at the earliest before they are in the shops, IIRC its a 8 week sea trip from China.

They do look lush though !!! 3 more for me please !!!

Bluebird.

Depending ondeparture port the journey is 3-4 weeks max even allowing for loading and unloading at port.

• RMweb Gold

that would be this one...

6K41part2.jpg

can't wait to get a couple of these wagons, got them on pre order from my local shop

be nice if they release the blue one, only ever worked it in a train once though, wel i say IN a train, it was the train......

6K41part3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Stupid question alert !!! :rolleyes: when unloading does the whole flask come out of the wagon or is it just the lid that opens which allows the contents to be removed? As I never seen a vehicle without the white flask even when running empty.

Regards.

Bluebird.

the white bit is a sliding cover, the flask itself is inside, when loading you have to be inch perfect when stopping the train at the loading facility or the flask won't go in very easily!!

banger blue: yes it is chester

This isn't particularly relevant to the models but I have a great photo taken some years ago now, of the return Dungeness train (i.e. loaded) behind a 33, sat in the platform at Ashford directly OUTSIDE the station buffet whilst the secondman popped in for a teacan of hot water - bet the staff wondered why all the pies suddenly started to cook themselves.......... :lol:

I'm guessing that any difference in applicable Bachmann eras will be down to minor things like the style of OHLE warning stickers (which are easily changed with transfers from Fox).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Stupid Question Alert 2 - Some of the flask covers have huge numbers painted on their tops. I assume these correspond with the number of the wagon number and are a later (mid 1990's) addition? A specific example is of '23' IIRC.

I don't ever recall seeing the numbers on the lids and wondered if these were a later addition?

Mmm, they do look nice!

I'm not sure when they came in, but yes, the number is the last two digits of the TOPS number. All are numbered in the 5500xx series.

http://joalder.fotopic.net/p62237921.html

The numbers seem to be positioned so the bottom is at the end of the hood with the catch, though I'm sure there's a photo showing one the other way round somewhere :lol:

cheers

jo

I raised this with MR via their facebook page (good way of getting to the team and getting a quick response) they stated that it would require a major retool of the kit Bachmann have so wouldnt come off any time soon.

What with DRS reducing their use of the locomotives and the premium price I would say we've more chance of a rocking horse have a big poo than seeing Bachmann release a 20/3. Sadly.

Bluebird.

• RMweb Gold

What with DRS reducing their use of the locomotives and the premium price I would say we've more chance of a rocking horse have a big poo than seeing Bachmann release a 20/3. Sadly.

Bluebird.

Believe it or not, manufacturers do produce models of prototypes which no longer run ;)

Numbered and unnumbered flasks pic in this thread

• 5 months later...

Archived