help req=class 141 dmu

Does anyone have some 141 dmu drawings? am going to build one from a Hornby 142, and have the pdh drawings. dont know how accurate these are, but will do for now.

is there anyone near the weardale railway who can tell me if the 3 front windows are the same size, because the drawings i have show the centre window to be bigger than the ohter 2, and my memory from working on them is they were all the same size.

Cheesysmith

• RMweb Premium

I started a similar project some years ago, but as yet never finished it! Most of 141 is based on the Leyland National 2 design, being the same width. As for the cab windscreens not sure. Similarly a set of drawings would be rather useful if anyone can help.

There is a talk Realtrack models who are producing a Class 144, might consider a 141 in the future. Guess we can only hope :-)

• RMweb Premium

there are dimensioned (albeit not too detailed) diagrams and photos/info in "BR fleet survey 9: DMUs - 2nd gen. and DEMUs" (haresnape/ian allan,1986)

as regards the windscreens, i'd never have noticed until you pointed it out! seems like the three screens are the same width, but in the middle one, the GLASS section is a fraction 'taller' - not by much, a couple of inches? hence the metal section at the top is correspondingly thinner.

the book mentioned above also has the cl.142s in it and i would say their windscreens are the same, the middle one being fractionally taller.(i dont know if the Hornby model captures this)

however, the screens on a 142 are spaced slightly wider apart than on the 141, as a result of the 142s being wider over the body than the 141. the 141 were only 8'2" (2500mm) wide due to them using the standard leyland national body modules then available. by the time the 142s came along, the BREL/leyland consortium design team had found a way of building the body modules to a more BR-like width, approx 9'2" (2800mm)

pics of 141 - http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages%20DMU/Recognition%20DMU/IllusDMU_141.html

pics of 142 - http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages%20DMU/Recognition%20DMU/IllusDMU_142.html

details of 141 - http://www.therailwaycentre.com/New%20DMU%20Tech%20Data%20/DMU_141.html

details of 142 - http://www.therailwaycentre.com/New%20DMU%20Tech%20Data%20/DMU_142.html

hope this is of use

The three windscreens are not in the same plane, the outer ones are angled slightly outwards. On an elevation drawing it might be enough to make the outer ones look narrower, especially if the taller glass in the centre is throwing all your visual cues out.

Also, beware of copying bits directly off the Leyland National - the saloon windows on the bus are two different widths, those at the emergency exits being slightly wider. IIRC the 141 and 142 use the wider version for all the windows. I can't remember now whether the bodyside panels are wider too or just the window frames. Doesn't matter if you're using the 142 as a basis but I've tried (and failed) to use Tower Models bus kits in the past.

Let me know if you need interior photos, I should have some somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a project on the go - well everything is ready just need time in the winter to start.

Originally, I was going to use the NNK kit and even made the bodies. I wanted to etch some windows and spoke with Pete harvey. In the end, he produced some etched sides for me. the planis to incorporate them into a 142.

When i do get round to it, i will start a thread, but it will be november at the earliest.

Russell

I have a project on the go - well everything is ready just need time in the winter to start.

Originally, I was going to use the NNK kit and even made the bodies. I wanted to etch some windows and spoke with Pete harvey. In the end, he produced some etched sides for me. the planis to incorporate them into a 142.

When i do get round to it, i will start a thread, but it will be november at the earliest.

Russell

You will have to let us know, me needs a model of the rocket that is number 113 from when I worked on it. I was asking due to wanting to see if a cut and shut 142 into a 141 is posible.

Cheesy

• 6 months later...

I have been building a 141 since November, I have used 3 Leyland National bus kits and sculpted my own front ends, I am still working on the motor etc as its very tempermental (bit like the real thing). It is not perfect but for me captures the spirit and the character reasonably well plus it is my first scratchbuilt train though it wasn'tfinsinhed when I took the picture and still isn't, its languishing on my sidings haha

I have since repainted it Blue/Grey to fit my layouts era

post-1952-0-01796000-1304259484_thumb.jpg

Re the National parts, The tower models version is the short length, EFE do both long and short length but the panels lack rivet details, so guess 142 is the best way in the interim until somebody introduces an RTR verison.

I used the tower kits then realised they were the shorter version but if using the 142 like I initally did the body is wider and the roof profile is more curved and also the 141 is shorter than the 142.

Mine will do me well until a RTR is made....if ever

• 1 month later...

I started a similar project some years ago, but as yet never finished it! Most of 141 is based on the Leyland National 2 design, being the same width. As for the cab windscreens not sure. Similarly a set of drawings would be rather useful if anyone can help.

There is a talk Realtrack models who are producing a Class 144, might consider a 141 in the future. Guess we can only hope :-)

IF there was enough demand we would look into this, but orders needed for at least 500 minimum! Get e.mailing ant show your interest!!! Charlie

BR blue and wypte green for me so that's 495 haha, I know some People who'd have one too so that's that's down to atleast 492!

I'm currently rebuilding mine using Hornby 142 sides , will post pictures when complete

• 3 years later...

Good evening ~ My 1st Post so please excuse a potentially dumb question! Does anyone know where the topic of a Class 141 Leyland 2 car 'railbus' went?  It seemed to go quiet despite posts/pictures to DC Kits in 2010.  I for one would welcome re-opening the debate since I am modelling a Dewsbury/Mirfield layout in 4mm and in the 1980s and it would benefit from at least 2 original green/white WYPTE "Torville and Deans".  Always a market for those modelling Iranian Railways also I believe!

• RMweb Premium

I guess one of the manufacturers might do a 141 one day. Guess there are six possible liveries:-

• BR Blue and Grey (well the blue was Barrow Corporation blue!).
  • Metro Train Buttermilk and Green
  • Metro Train Buttermilk and Red
  • Serco Weedkiller train livery
  • Iranian Railways
  • Weardale Railway

I'd like one too, very common around York, a regular on the York - Leeds via Harrogate, and York - Selby. Also I recall seeing them on the Liverpool - Scarborough in multiple with a 156!

It would be possible to use the Hornby Class 142 body shells and an under frame as a basis to build one . . . . . 

Archived