A Welsh Warehouse

Chubber

Splendid job. I have just finished scratchbuilding a model of Dursley Station in 4mm using Slater's embossed brick platsticard. The painting was very tedious and I may well revert to paper and card using Scalescene's excellent products.

My copy of John Ahern's book 2Miniature Building Construction" is a treasured possesion. It is from the 1971 reprint and does not have an ISBN. I bought the book with a book token that was awarded to me in 1971 for coming top of the First Form at Cotham Grammar School; it's been downhill ever since. It sits proudly on my bookcase with the sister books "Miniature Landscape Modelling" and "Miniature Locomotive Construction". They are still relevant 62 years on from first publication.

Splendid job. I have just finished scratchbuilding a model of Dursley Station in 4mm using Slater's embossed brick platsticard. The painting was very tedious and I may well revert to paper and card using Scalescene's excellent products.

My copy of John Ahern's book 2Miniature Building Construction" is a treasured possesion. It is from the 1971 reprint and does not have an ISBN. I bought the book with a book token that was awarded to me in 1971 for coming top of the First Form at Cotham Grammar School; it's been downhill ever since. It sits proudly on my bookcase with the sister books "Miniature Landscape Modelling" and "Miniature Locomotive Construction". They are still relevant 62 years on from first publication.

Hi, Oaky,

Look at the web bookstores for Edward Beal, too, another past master, for anyone card/wood modelling 1930-1950 his book 'Railway Modelling in Miniature, circa 1940 is indispensable, plenty of scaled drawings,

Cheers,

Doug

• 5 years later...

Following my attempts [in this section] at building a harbour office in card and Scalescenes papers, I have started another Ahern model, this time of a warehouse that he sketched in North Wales, shown below. attachicon.gifWarehouse front1.jpgCopyright CV Russell and E Fells Reproduced with their kind permissions.I am building it in exactly the same way as the harbour office, there being no commercially available windows I have cut the frames from a print-out on satin photo-paper and fixed them to pieces of C.D. case plastic with MEK Pak solvent. Please feel free to ask any questions as I go along rather than me blathering on!I scaled up a working drawing from the illustrationattachicon.gifWarehouse plan1.jpgAs this is again to be a low-relief model, I have [on the model] increased the pitch of the roof to about 45 degrees so as to be able to include the ridge, both chimney stacks and a little of the far side of the roof, all of which will add to the sense of realism when viewd from the average modelling view-point. I have chosen Scalescenes 'TX47 Coursed Rubble' over 2mm paste-board following my usual practice of selectively indenting various lines and features to increase the already commendable impression of texture that the paper portrays. attachicon.gifIMG_8755.JPG I have chosen to make the shutters and woodwork from 140gm/sq. mm. watercolour paper so as to give a 'rough' texture, to suit the neglected, heavily weathered appearance alluded to in the accompanying text, colouring it with several washes of watercolour in various reds and brown.attachicon.giflowleft.jpgattachicon.giflowrt.jpg

Great to see Ahern’s work being reproduced! Love the textures!

Archived