Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I purchased my Clan McGregor on the weekend. It works well.

However, the speedometer cable seems to flex a lot. The crank that it is attached to is not pointed at the center of the wheel, as I'd expect, but off to the side.

Is this right or should it be set for least movement? Can I move it by loosening the screw and re-tighteneing?

• RMweb Premium

Thank you 34...

I went looking for a 2.5mm nut driver today. The closest I could get were some bolts from a model aircraft shop with a hex socket. Between that and pliers I managed to reposition the crank.

By the way, my model came with a bag of coal.

Does anyone know what radius is required if I install the flanged trailing wheels?

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have a couple of comments and queries about my Clan.

I took a piece of insulation (from mains cable) and drilled it out a bit larger and slipped it over the peg of the engine-tender connection to keep them together better (given the fragility of the wire connector).

The brake mechanisms that need to be installed don't seem to fit and don't really match the instruction diagram. One is square and one has tapers but neither looks to fit on the bottom.

The front axle often doesn't rotate. I think I tracked this to the Kadee coupling I installed. The little nubs that hold it in fill the whole space between the NEM box and the axle. I took it out and filed a slant on it; it seemed to work on my layout but I noticed it stuck when I double-headed it behind another Clan at Lostock on Saturday.

None of the bufferbeam detail will survive the Kadee that I installed on the bogie.

I imagine the chassis is unchanged from the Brit, in which case a small mod is necessary to get the flanged wheels in. Clearance has to be cut for the flanges inside the casting that represents the trailing truck, (the scene of the crime is all completely concealed from outside when reassembled) and a small washer used to stand off the small keeper plate to allow the axle to drop slightly in the block so that the wheel treads are on the rail. While about this, a soft spring on the bogie post improves the action at the front end.

A 36" radius (that's to the inside edge of the sleepers) is traversed with no trouble. Two of my three would negotiate 30" radius, and the nominal 30" radius of Peco curved points, one wouldn't quite, the wheelset tipping up and derailing ( derailment only on the points); that's manufacturing variation for you. A little reduction of the effective width of the block fixed that..

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for the resurrection of a long forgotten thread! I have been thinking about picking up a Hornby Clan and making it one of the never built Southern Region ones.

What tender type would these have had? I am assuming BR1B or similar but would like it confirmed. Also will Hornby ever make any more of these as they seem to have forgotten its existence in their range from what I can see and secondhand ones do seem a bit thin on the ground at sensible prices...

My thought would be the same BR1 type as the Brits allocated to Stewarts Lane. One assumes that kept the larger loco adequately supplied, so should have worked for the Clan.

There's a ton of earlier tooling from Hornby's Sanda Kan years to potentially be returned to production. My assumption would be that as they get their new manufacturing vendors up to speed, they will catalogue these models in their annual announcements, and see which ones secure dealer orders and can therefore advance to production.

Let me suggest a gauge of customer interest and thus likely demand, the thread post volume by loco class. Four pages for the Clan, compared to what various subjects like the P2, Beyer-Garratt and King are currently garnering. I feel you may face a patient wait of some duration, and will have to act briskly should a new run be produced. However, I would scour the s/h market in the mean time, everything turns up eventually...

I'm just grateful that I walked into Modelzone at Holborn one day, and found one in the cabinet (which I had looked at for weeks and months previous), suddenly reduced in a 50% off sale. Not sure if I could really afford it that day, but rather glad I did - I think it was under £50! Duly renumbered as 72009 Clan Stewart, she filled a gap in my GE collection which was tbh "off the radar". 30A Stratford only had 1 Clan for less than a month, but as a "genuine" GE candidate, I admire the model. As for a use for it well...

I've reborn the pre-war Pullman tourist train than ran spasmodically around East Anglian seaside resorts. Its new reincarnation, a short formation of matchboard sided Hornby Pullmans, even has an ex Devon Belle observation car on the rear. (Rule 1 scores again, it is MY trainset). Gives Stratford somewhere to palm off their unloved Clan loco after all.

Lovely model.

Stewart

• Like 1

Peter Smith in his book Mendips Engineman/Footplate over the Mendips (not sure which one) mentions a rumour that the Southern Clans were to go to the S&DJR.  BR Standard 5s 73050/1/2 came in their place and these latter had BR1G tenders (5000 galls and 7 tons of coal). The Clans had BR1 tenders with 4250 galls and 7 tons of coal. A lot of the Western Region 9Fs also had BR1G tenders. These look similar to the BR1. The BR1B held 4750 galls and 7 tons of coal. The BR1G and BR1B tenders (the latter on some Standard 5s, Standard 4 4-6-0s, and some Standard 4 2-6-0s) managed OK over the route but I wonder whether the lower water storage of the Clan tenders (BR1 - 4250 galls)) meant that they would have struggled for water on a non-stop run? I don't know and maybe the BR1Gs or BR1Bs would have been substituted. Who knows for sure. Somewhere in the mind there pricks some reference to the SR Clans supposedly to be connected to BR1B tenders though.

Edited by geoffers

The Clan is a very nice model. I bought one when they were newly released by Hornby. I promised myself a second but left it and suddenly realised there were very few in the shops. I was fortunate to find one after scouring the web early this year. A re-run by Hornby would be good.

• 6 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread again!

I have a second hand 72008 'Clan Macleod' which is a late BR model and want to convert it back to early emblem days.

What needs to be done? I will remove the electrification flashes and change the emblem on the tender but what about the speedometer crank? Early photos of Clans and Hornbys early BR Clan Buchanan  model do not have the crank fitted.

Dave

As ever,and assuming that you wish to retain the present 72008 identity,you need to search for photos. of the loco at your chosen point in time. I'm reasonably sure,however,that you will need to remove (or not fit) the AWS "bang-plate".

DR

Dave

I thought that this would have generated more by way of comment,as I'm sure other members are better qualified to advise. But I might have added that unless there is some evidence to the contrary,a reasonable assumption would be that 72008 did not run with AWS in the old-emblem era. So you would need to remove the AWS battery-box fitted to the RH side of the running plate (itiris this came already fitted rather than as part of the accessory kit).

Sorry,can't help with the speedo. But,again,we tend to associate these with the Clans in the later part of their (grievously short) lives.

hth

DR

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for resurrecting this thread again!

I have a second hand 72008 'Clan Macleod' which is a late BR model and want to convert it back to early emblem days.

What needs to be done? I will remove the electrification flashes and change the emblem on the tender but what about the speedometer crank? Early photos of Clans and Hornbys early BR Clan Buchanan  model do not have the crank fitted.

Only just seen this thread again. I will have a look through my standard books and see if I have the information you need. The RCTS book may be the best source. Off to dig out the books for a bit of bedtime reading zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for the replies. Removing the speedo is easy but do i need a shorter screw bolt and if so where do I get one. Removing the AWS battery box looks difficult, i guess I will stare at it for a week or so!

sorry to be thick but what is a AWS bang plate?

i tried removing the flashes etc with T-cut, it works well, so well that I partly removed some of the tender lining.

sorry to be thick but what is a AWS bang plate?

Sometimes known as a 'dangler' - the plate fitted behind the front coupling to protect the AWS gear.

• RMweb Gold

Here is Clan Gordon, from the new Clan ,with a tender taken from a later Britannia. It has had work done to the rear bogie to free it up and extra pipework added, IIR.

attachicon.gif100_4167-crop.jpg

Hi ben any chance of describing what the work was done on the clans rear bogie? being one of my favourite models.