Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

At least the description is vey accurate.

Very much a case of buyer beware.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

It’s caught my eye as I have a spare tender for it... ( a left over from a Brit from years ago).

the thing is I have 72000 already, renumbering it it would seem the wrong thing to do.

Edited by adb968008

It’s caught my eye as I have a spare tender for it... ( a left over from a Brit from years ago).

the thing is I have 72000 already, renumbering it it would seem the wrong thing to do.

It's the price which would put me off, but then I've just spent up large on Black 5s and Bachmann Peppercorns....   

edit  p.s. on the other hand I just paid good money for a 15 Guinea Special 44871 which was mint apart from the tender, and hope to swap it with one from 45455... ah the joys of serious modelling!  :)

If you were to renumber 72000 would you choose 72007... I had a feeling that was one the longer-lasting ones.

Edited by robmcg

here is another Clan 72008 on Ebay... from USA 

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2847-OO-Gauge-BR-Late-Clan-Macleod-Steam-Loco-Tender-DCC-Ready-Box/391995653668?epid=17016152342&hash=item5b44c2fe24:g:CPsAAOSw3FpaoJ-K

Missing tender rear plate and two steps....  

So they are around, this week at least.  :)

Edited by robmcg

I see the 'new unopened' Clan went for £180,  (plus, if had been me, £30 p+p).     which allows me to fess up to buying the Hattons version a week ago at £175 + £8 p+p.. no VAT for we colonial types, except on Ebay where we pay the lot..  my main motivation being that I like this model. :)

With new highly detailed models in this area I think these prices are fair, given that the Clan is terms of 00 RTR modelling quality without peer, I'm struggling to think of a better model in plastic etc, like-for-like, production-wise.

I wonder where the rarer high quality RTR models might end up in price?  Not much higher, methinks.  given that Bachmann SECR C types hand around at £300.

• RMweb Gold

I see the 'new unopened' Clan went for £180, (plus, if had been me, £30 p+p). which allows me to fess up to buying the Hattons version a week ago at £175 + £8 p+p.. no VAT for we colonial types, except on Ebay where we pay the lot.. my main motivation being that I like this model. :)

With new highly detailed models in this area I think these prices are fair, given that the Clan is terms of 00 RTR modelling quality without peer, I'm struggling to think of a better model in plastic etc, like-for-like, production-wise.

I wonder where the rarer high quality RTR models might end up in price? Not much higher, methinks. given that Bachmann SECR C types hand around at £300.

Rtr superdetailed is a side show, if you look on the ebay madness thread the real party on prices is on Thomas the tank range... £90 for a brake van upto £830 for an Orange 9f with a Thomas face on it. Edited by adb968008

Rtr superdetailed is a side show, if you look on the ebay madness thread the real party on prices is on Thomas the tank range... £90 for a brake van upto £830 for an Orange 9f with a Thomas face on it.

In the end we all have rationalise it, but where buyers of the above exist, well must be a different planet.

I confess I have indulged a couple of times in auction bloody-mindedness, just the other day there was a 15 Guinea special 40th Anniversary 44871 for $NZ150 (£80-ish)  locally and I thought, yep, I'll bid, (but I'll bet it goes way over that) and alas forgot about it. But nobody bid! Good seller too, and they re-listed, same price. For some reason the 44871 is rarer than 44781 for this pair.   So I bid thinking my top price would be $NZ185 (£95-ish) ,  another bidder arrived and went in tiny increments until they gave up when I went to NZ221 (£115-ish)   I hate myself! :)    

But I have the model!

Back on-thread, I wonder if the new unopened Clan which went for £180 will ever be opened?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

In the end we all have rationalise it, but where buyers of the above exist, well must be a different planet.

I confess I have indulged a couple of times in auction bloody-mindedness, just the other day there was a 15 Guinea special 40th Anniversary 44871 for $NZ150 (£80-ish)  locally and I thought, yep, I'll bid, (but I'll bet it goes way over that) and alas forgot about it. But nobody bid! Good seller too, and they re-listed, same price. For some reason the 44871 is rarer than 44781 for this pair.   So I bid thinking my top price would be $NZ185 (£95-ish) ,  another bidder arrived and went in tiny increments until they gave up when I went to NZ221 (£115-ish)   I hate myself! :)    

But I have the model!

Back on-thread, I wonder if the new unopened Clan which went for £180 will ever be opened?

The Grand Inquisitor of the MiM has confided in me that there is life out there in the cosmos - though he does question if it is all intelligent, especially when the Riddle fans on Alpha Centuri IV are bidding silly money on the Earth bidding site called Ebay for a short-lived class called a Clan.

After all do they actually realize what the postage is by Royal Mail for intergalactic is???  :jester:  :jester:  

After all do they actually realize what the postage is by Royal Mail for intergalactic is???  :jester:  :jester:  

How do you put a price on endless pleasure (owning a Clan) and endless pain (not owning a Clan)? By intergalactic Royal Mail or otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

4.37 light years to alpha centauri which is 45,690,000,000,000,000 miles.

Apparently a Ford trainset dose 24 mpg avg. The fuel is going to be a killer!

Though the good news is the driver is on a zero hours contract so no holiday or sick pay to pay. So not as expensive as you first think.

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

The Grand Inquisitor of the MiM has confided in me that there is life out there in the cosmos - though he does question if it is all intelligent, especially when the Riddle fans on Alpha Centuri IV are bidding silly money on the Earth bidding site called Ebay for a short-lived class called a Clan.

Well if they are 4.5 light years away, by the time they heard about the Hornby Clan, they had already sold out. Must be frustrating for them bidding on ebay, they think they have 10 days to bid, but bidding actually ended almost 4.5 years ago... The cheapest way would be to buy the CADs off Hornby (can be transmitted by radio) and produce them locally. "We are proud to announce production of new Clans has started, they will be loaded on a space probe traveling at 50 miles a second and should arrive on Earth in about 44,500 years time - secure yours now for only 1.25 Million pounds". 

• RMweb Gold

In For some reason the 44871 is rarer than 44781 for this pair.

44871 is preserved/ operational, and quite prolific in support to see it.

Most of the pictures I see of this pair in 1968, shows them as cleaned up, but faded BR lined black, not unlined black, though most of the lining was gone on one of their tenders.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

44871 is preserved/ operational, and quite prolific in support to see it.

Most of the pictures I see of this pair in 1968, shows them as cleaned up, but faded BR lined black, not unlined black, though most of the lining was gone on one of their tenders.

Agree with the first suggestion - the popularity of the preserved example. Disagree with the second as I am pretty sure both were given post 1965 economy (ie unlined) repaints as became Crewe practice following overhaul or works repair before the end of steam.

• RMweb Gold

But I have the model!

Nice, they are a lovely model. :-)

I am lucky enough to have both 44871 and 44781 specials, Clan Buchanan and Macleod, as well as a DJH Clan McKenzie and a Brassmasters black five to be built!

I just can't afford a layout to run them on! :-(

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must dig out my Clan for a photo, it's one that has been renamed/renumbered as one of the never built Southern Region batch.  It's acquisition was a bit of strange story though, I bought it off a RMWeb member many years ago for a good price, he was about to move house so wanted to lighten his load of stuff to move and offered it to me at a good sensible price.  Payment was by cheque and he said that he would post it straight away and then bank the cheque once he had moved a couple of weeks later.

Completely forgot all about it until quite a few years later when a letter arrived at my old address and then found its way to me from a relative of his who informed me he had sadly passed away and returning my cheque which up until then I had not noticed had not been paid in.  Seems the chap had died very shortly after moving house and before he had managed to pay the cheque in and it took a couple of years before his affairs were attended to.

I tried resending payment to the relative who had sent me back the cheque but it bounced back as not known at this address.

All very odd...

Edited by John M Upton

Well if they are 4.5 light years away, by the time they heard about the Hornby Clan, they had already sold out. Must be frustrating for them bidding on ebay, they think they have 10 days to bid, but bidding actually ended almost 4.5 years ago... The cheapest way would be to buy the CADs off Hornby (can be transmitted by radio) and produce them locally. "We are proud to announce production of new Clans has started, they will be loaded on a space probe traveling at 50 miles a second and should arrive on Earth in about 44,500 years time - secure yours now for only 1.25 Million pounds". 

By projecting http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html forward 44,500 years it should be possible to check whether 1.25 million quid is really the bargain it sounds ........... oddly the software doesn't seem to want to work for me !

• RMweb Gold

Agree with the first suggestion - the popularity of the preserved example. Disagree with the second as I am pretty sure both were given post 1965 economy (ie unlined) repaints as became Crewe practice following overhaul or works repair before the end of steam.

1t57, 44871 still had lining..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84298790@N00/16346868511/

Rubbed off on the tender mostly, but it had it on the loco mostly.

here is another Clan 72008 on Ebay... from USA 

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2847-OO-Gauge-BR-Late-Clan-Macleod-Steam-Loco-Tender-DCC-Ready-Box/391995653668?epid=17016152342&hash=item5b44c2fe24:g:CPsAAOSw3FpaoJ-K

Missing tender rear plate and two steps....  

So they are around, this week at least.  :)

This went for $148 (approx. 106 quid). Definitely a bargain/steal by comparative UK prices...

Looked like it would go for a lot lower initially, but too rich for my blood, I don't really want/need/care for one (being primarily BR/SR era/region) especially, but was willing to go to $110 but no more

I often snag great deals when something UK-outline is sold on the US eBay market, fewer contenders and often seems people who ARE likely contenders either aren't watching regularly or simply not as broad an interest, of course. Plus I think foreign (non-US) buyers are less likely to pony up the added postal costs and potential import/VAT/duty problems, and many US sales of UK stuff seems to only be listed as deliverable to the US, my gain, though not this time ;)

This went for $148 (approx. 106 quid). Definitely a bargain/steal by comparative UK prices...

Looked like it would go for a lot lower initially, but too rich for my blood, I don't really want/need/care for one (being primarily BR/SR era/region) especially, but was willing to go to $110 but no more

I often snag great deals when something UK-outline is sold on the US eBay market, fewer contenders and often seems people who ARE likely contenders either aren't watching regularly or simply not as broad an interest, of course. Plus I think foreign (non-US) buyers are less likely to pony up the added postal costs and potential import/VAT/duty problems, and many US sales of UK stuff seems to only be listed as deliverable to the US, my gain, though not this time  ;)

Half the battle is convincing them to post outside the US. You have to negotiate that at the start, (note those who say they will post outside already appear in .co.uk and other countries). Some don't reply, others come back with postage rate from Andromeda galaxy.