Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

In another thread I report on replacing my front bogie. Looks like a Mazak problem. Loco is R2925, Clan MacGregor. Putting my thumb between 2 wheels to get the screw out caused both tabs holding the axle to snap off.

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, 37403 said:

The clan is almost to buy nowadays. I wonder if Hornby are likely to release a version soon?

There has been some suggestion that the tools are no longer available to Hornby - though for what reason is unclear.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, cctransuk said:

There has been some suggestion that the tools are no longer available to Hornby - though for what reason is unclear.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

when I asked, I was informed differently, and it was suggested it was just a matter of time.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

...  I had to pay a premium price to obtain mine.

Do the job on it as 72002.5, Clan Destine. then when people ask tell them they are available, but only to those with correct identification, and sell the knowledge: pink carnation in the lapel, starched white handkerchief, guards tie, today's Times, "I will be taking the 13.09 from platform five".

• Funny 7

On 19/11/2019 at 23:25, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I also had heard this.  Perhaps the tooling is in a site no longer used by Hornby or the tooling is unsuitable for a current manufacturing site.  Hornby did pay Sanda Kan (Kader) for any outstanding tooling when the manufacturer closed shop.  It could be a case of tooling has to be modified or retooled to be of use as being a definite seller one would think if tooling was available then there would be a production run.

I just find it bizarre that nobody seems to be able to get a coherent and official answer to this now perennial question out of the only people who are in a position to know, i.e Hornby themselves. Maybe RMWebbers ought to lay siege to their stand at Warley and decline to let punters through until they spill the beans ... :)

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I just find it bizarre that nobody seems to be able to get a coherent and official answer to this now perennial question out of the only people who are in a position to know, i.e Hornby themselves. Maybe RMWebbers ought to lay siege to their stand at Warley and decline to let punters through until they spill the beans ... :)

Problem with that is that people staffing them are just office staff or those who “can’t say” because they think it’s commercially sensitive.  I do think just emailing Hornby gets a better response.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I also had heard this.  Perhaps the tooling is in a site no longer used by Hornby or the tooling is unsuitable for a current manufacturing site.  Hornby did pay Sanda Kan (Kader) for any outstanding tooling when the manufacturer closed shop.  It could be a case of tooling has to be modified or retooled to be of use as being a definite seller one would think if tooling was available then there would be a production run.

It took them a while to get new Q1 class production going and one tooling element was missing there too. To be honest, the bulk of the Clan model uses Britannia parts, so it is really the loco body part that is missing (or at least not used in a while).  I would hope that they still have the CADs for that to at least be able to tool up a new body (if required).

Looking at prices and comments here, there is a strong suggestion that there would be enough sales to support such costs involved. At the same time though, Hornby know how many Clans were sold previously and "maybe" it was not a great seller back then, which with a new runs normally selling less, could make it uneconomic.

Equally, the broad similarity to the Britannia and the greater presence of the Britannia (and other BR types being released at the time) probably lead more people wanting that and other BR loco types first on their shopping lists with the Clan as a later nice to have. Today  it would have a pretty clear field as a pure BR type if re-released. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I can't help feeling the market for these is limited and probably 80% already satiated. Lovely model as it is, its a pretty niche prototype both in interest and geographical scope built in very small numbers. Hornby at the moment (and perhaps for the forseeble) need guaranteed big hits - I'm not sure the Clan fits into this category. Put it this way - a Clan fits in with my collection, I already have one and I wouldnt be tempted by a second unless it was at a bargain price

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

To be honest I can't help feeling the market for these is limited and probably 80% already satiated. Lovely model as it is, its a pretty niche prototype both in interest and geographical scope built in very small numbers. Hornby at the moment (and perhaps for the forseeble) need guaranteed big hits - I'm not sure the Clan fits into this category. Put it this way - a Clan fits in with my collection, I already have one and I wouldnt be tempted by a second unless it was at a bargain price

I don't think that there are any "guaranteed big hits" these days. We have passed a point of diminishing returns where there is not much scope to radically improve on the versions that have gone before.

Even some totally new models, supposedly of popular prototypes, have ended up being discounted very quickly.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

For those who fancy a bit of modelling ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Britannia-to-Clan-OO-Conversion-Kit-White-metal-Brass-4mm-Jackson-Evans/264539747778?hash=item3d97cc35c2:g:P3IAAOSwGrBd1Wcp

Mine turned out quite well, even though I did it the hard way with an old Triang chassis

P1030756.thumb.JPG.66dc31e641eb4cb4da4d2749186c1bd2.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

I have acquired all 3 RTR models at various prices and in various conditions. Prices are not going down, in fact some are amazing! Also have several kit versions based on Brit chassis. As a member of the group building a new Clan 'Hengist' we were advised Hornby have no intention of producing another model. Perhaps when we have built ours they will change their minds.

I find them an excellent runner and a pleasure to have on my 'Port Road-S&C' layout.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I picked up Clan Buchanan from Ebay (spares/repair it derails) for £100 On examination the brake gear under the loco had been fitted the wrong way round (front bogie was hitting and would not go round any bend) pony truck had the flanged wheels fitted and the tender drawbar was bent all easy fixes now runs perfectly.

Edited by CHAZ D
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, sandwich station said:

At that price, I'd want it guaranteed unopened - not missing the roof vents and with coal added to the tender.

Still - someone will buy it.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, sandwich station said:

thats optimistic.

I note 24 sold in the last 3 months on ebay, prices are right down.. £99-£180 mostly, the £300 bubble has gone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

DCC Sound fitted though.

That must add a few quid onto the price.

That's what I was thinking, until I thought Hornby TTS! It's hardly a Legomanbiffo upgrade, is it?

• Funny 1

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, NINJA said:

What is the small protrusion on the cab sides just on top of the numerals,  never seen it on photos of 72000 but it is on later ones.

Thanks.

It seems to be something added later in their lives. Presumably an attachment for a token exchange apparatus.

But without the actual apparatus. I don't think they ever got fitted.

Jason