Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

On 20/11/2019 at 09:24, cctransuk said:

Let's hope that that is the case then - I had to pay a premium price to obtain mine.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I hope Hornby reintroduce the Clan within the next few years as it's been a very long absence last in the range 2011/12.

Let's hope the toolings are still available you'd imagine so as they were only launched in 2009 so the toolings haven't been over used alot like the 1977/80s BR Class 43 HST power cars have! I've been hoovering over weather or not to buy a new one on eBay. The last time I bought a new train was In 2019 when I bought a new/old shop stock Hornby APT-P set , and just under a year later, a newly tooled APT-P was announced. So I'm now stuck with a brand new 1980 unused set 11 years older than myself! with all it's original packaging no damage to box its all perstine even includes the original 40 year old perished elastic bands with a new catalogue that has a slight new smell with a slight tinge of paraffin and with all  it's original paperwork. Live and learn! 

Just now, RyanN91 said:

I hope Hornby reintroduce the Clan within the next few years as it's been a very long absence last in the range 2011/12.

Let's hope the toolings are still available you'd imagine so as they were only launched in 2009 so the toolings haven't been over used alot like the 1977/80s BR Class 43 HST power cars have! I've been hoovering over weather or not to buy a new one on eBay. The last time I bought a new train was In 2019 when I bought a new/old shop stock Hornby APT-P set , and just under a year later, a newly tooled APT-P was announced. So I'm now stuck with a brand new 1980 unused set although it's still marvelous! 11 years older than myself! with all it's original packaging no damage to box its all perstine even includes the original 40 year old perished elastic bands with a new catalogue that has a slight new smell with a slight tinge of paraffin and with all  it's original paperwork. Live and learn! :laugh_mini:

10 hours ago, NINJA said:

What is the small protrusion on the cab sides just on top of the numerals,  never seen it on photos of 72000 but it is on later ones.

Thanks.

Is it a bracket to hold a label with the driver’s name on it? (Don’t laugh!) They were fitted on Britannia’s, immediately above the numbers, at least on the driver’s side. I don’t know about Clans, though.

• Informative/Useful 1

OK - forget that last post! There’s a very clear three-quarters rear picture of the fireman’s side of 72008 in the ‘Gallery’ section of the Clan Project website showing a fitting in the position described. That fitting is a socket for a portable Bryson tablet catcher. These would normally be folded up against the cabside, and only hinged down for use in tablet exchange, so would not foul the loading gauge. Locomotives regularly used on the ‘Port Road’ to Stranraer, such as the Kingmoor Clans (72005 to 72009) would be fitted with these sockets. (Some Jubilees had them as well.) The Polmadie Clans (72000 to 72004) did not have regular duties to Stranraer, so would likely not have had the fitting.

Edit to add - there was some discussion of tablet catchers on ‘Clans’ in this (much!) earlier page of this topic:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/224-Hornby-clan/page/3/

Edited by pH
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Personally I’d love to see another run of the “Clan’s” and as several have pointed out, they share the same chassis and valve gear as the Britannia’s.  When I last spoke to Hornby at a show, I got the feeling that they are going through the tooling inventory after their move back to Margate, with Simon Kohler at the helm to see what’s feasible and what isn’t.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Personally I’d love to see another run of the “Clan’s” and as several have pointed out, they share the same chassis and valve gear as the Britannia’s.  When I last spoke to Hornby at a show, I got the feeling that they are going through the tooling inventory after their move back to Margate, with Simon Kohler at the helm to see what’s feasible and what isn’t.

From what’s been said previously, I believe the clan toolings were irreparably damaged at some point so are no longer available. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Correction

This is what I alluded to earlier. I knew it from books but it gets a brief mention on Wiki.

Clan number 72001 to this day remains the only Pacific locomotive to have worked over the West Highland Line, the result of a successful trial held in early 1956 to ascertain whether a Pacific type could traverse this steeply graded line.[20] Having passed that test, a tribute to the versatility of the class, Clan Cameron was allowed to work special trains for the Clan Cameron gathering that took place in June of that year.[21]

In August 1958, number 72009 was tested on the Eastern Region, being based at Stratford MPD, though a preference for the Britannias meant that this sojourn was short-lived, lasting only a month. The locomotive was utilised on services from London Liverpool Street to Norwich, Clacton, and Harwich.[22] At first they were mistakenly allocated Class 7 duties, in which the Clans, although capable, were not able to keep to their allotted timings.[22] 

This was part of the trials for the West Highland Line services mentioned earlier, but the locomotive was rejected for such duties on the grounds that they were "no better than a good B1".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_6

Jason

Two have appeared and sold straight away on the Hattons pre owned for about £190 in the last week or so.

Even this knackered one is £165 if anyone wants a challenge. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/548499/hornby_r2846x_po01_clan_class_4_6_2_72000_clan_buchanan_in_br_green_dcc_fitted_pre_owned_valve_ge/stockdetail.aspx

No connection.  Just watching for myself. But whereas I would possibly pay £190 for a brand new one. I would be reluctant to pay that for a second hand version.

Jason

Hi

I Totally agree the Hornby Clan is a superb model full of detail.

I purchased my one from a retailer on Ebay about four or five years ago for my Haymarket layout when they were on a special offer. 

By pure coincidence I have just go around to weathering it.

My advise is just keep looking at Ebay at some time one will come up for sale with less interest in it and will go for a reasonable price.

I have found this to happen many times in the past when buying used locomotives.

Photo enclosed.

Good luck

David

72005_IMG_2556B.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So we have some new Clans at last.

The cylinder covers are painted green on the late crest version 72009. Can anyone date the loco in this form please? I didn’t get one first time round but now I want one that was in a 1960s livery.

• 1 month later...

Hi, looking forward to the Clans when they come out. Can you tell me if the model of 72004 is suitable for changing to a late logo and adding an AWS box as I can’t trace when the loco received those mods. Thanks Fred 

On 05/01/2021 at 19:18, brushman47544 said:

So we have some new Clans at last.

The cylinder covers are painted green on the late crest version 72009. Can anyone date the loco in this form please? I didn’t get one first time round but now I want one that was in a 1960s livery.

If you look at the photo of 72009 on this link https://brsteam.livejournal.com/1354.html the cylinders look green to me under the dirt and is quoted as August 1964.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
On 05/01/2021 at 19:18, brushman47544 said:

A bit late in the day replying to your question.  But when in the 1960s?  I believe that Stewart started the 60s still with its Early Emblem but that it received a Late Crest and had its top lamp iron lowered in 1963.  I have just been rebadging McLeod as Stewart.  I am well pleased.  You can read about  it on my Blog  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/25047-no-166-a-tale-of-two-Hornby-super-detail-‘britannias’-plus-a-clan-postscript/

A taster: 

51291045145_c0e29ad515_5k.jpg

Clan Stewart alias R2847 Clan McLeod iaws running in 1960.

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Anyone remember what a Clan sounds like? More specifically, would the Britannia TTS sound decoder - reservations about TTS in general notwithstanding - be close enough?

18 minutes ago, Downer said:

Anyone remember what a Clan sounds like? More specifically, would the Britannia TTS sound decoder - reservations about TTS in general notwithstanding - be close enough?

Good question Downer.  Short answer I cannot remember,   I would only have heard them draw away from perhaps Carlisle and that genearlly didn't require much effort.  Clan, Britannia, both two cylinder locomotives.  Both British Railways Standards.  I would have been a good match.  I find it difficult to distinguish many of the steam decoder sounds to the point that I have bought some CDs to play in the background.  Diesel decoders seem to be far more obviously engine specific.

Regards

Ray