Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

When were we expecting these to arrive? The most recent updates from Hornby suggested they were imminent. I'm sure the 'coming soon' page had them listed as August arrivals; the product pages for both said 'summer'. I now see that they say 'autumn' and don't feature on the coming soon page at all. 

It's not a huge problem - mostly just impatience. I've been waiting for one of these since 2009!

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 09:24, Henry 84F said:

When were we expecting these to arrive? The most recent updates from Hornby suggested they were imminent. I'm sure the 'coming soon' page had them listed as August arrivals; the product pages for both said 'summer'. I now see that they say 'autumn' and don't feature on the coming soon page at all. 

It's not a huge problem - mostly just impatience. I've been waiting for one of these since 2009!

The same has happened to the HD Merchant Navies, both models of which were scheduled for Summer release. These models were reportedly in transit to the UK.

They now have no ETA on the Hornby website.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Do Brits and Clans use the same valve gear?

Given that they were both 6’2” wheels, I’d say yes. 99% sure the only difference was the boiler size. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

You have got to be joking, this is Hornby remember, the firm that made me wait nearly 3 years for the blue Merchant Navy. The only thing that might be of interest. I ordered some valve gear for a Britannia off a well known Welsh supplier, they have been waiting on Hornby to release them from QA. So perhaps they were in the same batch. Do Brits and Clans use the same valve gear? I suspect we are talking September at least, when holidays are over. Perhaps they were in that cargo that was stuck in the Suez Canal, I gather it has just docked, to be met by a lorry driver shortage. I heard today that Bachmann are resorting to air freight as the normal shipping meant waiting about 3 months.

I wonder if 'spares' come from current production or are actually 'salvage' from returned previous production?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I wonder if 'spares' come from current production or are actually 'salvage' from returned previous production?

Almost all Hornby spares ive had, have been bagged in a clear plastic air sealed package with the “X” number on. I’d assume they are factory new spares.

Retailers like AC Models often popup with what looks like factory returns, often theres bits missing, sometimes a lot missing, I always assumed they have an agreement to dispose of returns. Again my assumption is returns are boneyarded for repairs (rather than retail spares), before disposal.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

On 04/08/2021 at 10:49, Hilux5972 said:

Given that they were both 6’2” wheels, I’d say yes. 99% sure the only difference was the boiler size. 

Aesthetically, there is not a lot of difference and during my youthful spotting days I never fully learned how to distinguish whether the approaching "shielder" would be a Clan or a Brit.     I bought a Hornby Thames-Clyde Express train pack a few years ago and much to my disgust the Brit which was included was the older tender drive version.    I swapped it over with the Clan MacLeod which I already owned.   The Clan fits almost perfectly into the train pack box, and when I sold the Brit on eBay it packed neatly into the Clan's box.   So yes, it looks like there will be much interchangeability of parts, or as Hornby might describe it "design clever".

When I realised just how similar they looked, as a teenager, I also spotted the main thing which was 'obvious' - the chimney - much shorter, larger diameter one of the Brits - relatively - and the narrower diameter 'stump' sticking up more of the Clans.

The other giveaway is the non-flush firebox abutting the cab.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Wacol said:

You did well as it is listed on their website now for $269.99. I was hoping for a bargain too.

There is still one available at the price that I paid.  Currently (until the 26th of this month) there is a 20% discount on eBay using code "PSPR20".  Link to available item:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224595547691

12 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

There is still one available at the price that I paid.  Currently (until the 26th of this month) there is a 20% discount on eBay using code "PSPR20". 

Thanks for that, I've just ordered it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rembrow said:

The Hornby website is now showing Clan MacDonald and Clan Stewart as both in stock in the UK.

I was just about to ask if I should put my money back in my pocket! 

Anyone know who can make me a set of Clan Alexander nameplates? They would be fictional, as it wasn't even part of the unbuilt run.

Edited by Helmdon

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

I was just about to ask if I should put my money back in my pocket! 

Anyone know who can make me a set of Clan Alexander nameplates? They would be fictional, as it wasn't even part of the unbuilt run.

‘Narrow Planet’ and ‘247 Developments’ might be able to help

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/09/2021 at 16:34, Helmdon said:

although Derails says December now, which I'm sure wasn't the case earlier 

I had an e-mail from Kernow Models yesterday, advising that the model is due soon and asking me to decide about the new price. I phoned them this morning to confirm I wished to go ahead, and was advised they are expecting the stock next Tuesday.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Derails Models said:

The stock has now arrived, so they should be hitting the shelves of your local retailer very soon! :-) We're testing them all as we speak, they look wonderful! Unfortunately no photos today, apologies

I await your phone call!:D

28 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Something to colour your thoughts!  Reminds me of a 'Night Owl'.

51551008076_8ed811904b_5k.jpg

Hornby R3996 next to one that I made earlier.

Oh dear! Hornby really are mucking up the liveries these days. Thats not easily fixed.

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Flipping ‘eck that’s VIVID! To be brutally honest I’d reject that  - it doesn’t look remotely like BR green livery. Also Hornby seem to have decided that the top of the running boards on all BR Std Pacific’s is green - is that correct? I can imagine it might be true for post 1965 ‘economy liveries’ but even the early crest 70013 has them. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

which is which?

• Like 1