Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not convinced it's anything other than normal BR orange.

72009_2.jpg

https://www.theclanproject.org/Clan_History2.php

Jason

It may be the standard lining, but it LOOKS lighter than that on the cylinders and boiler. (That may well be due to the black on that lining.) That would mean that the Hornby model, with the visual difference in lining, would be very close indeed to the original. 

1 hour ago, ikks said:

Thanks mate, missed your September posting:(

Mike

Still looks like a decent option to purchase - £144 GBP for the clan on the site at the mo, although you’ll have to factor a fair whack for international shipping in there

• Thanks 1

Answers on a Post Card?

I have been inside 'McDonald' to refit the top lamp iron.

Following the suggestion that there is an element of new tooling I was comparing R2847 with R3995/6 and note that R2847 came with a pair of sandboxes at the front.  Were they particular to McLeod or should they also have been on one or more of the new models?

51561606439_82f84ac863_5k.jpg

Hornby R2847 Front Sand Boxes

Secondly these new Clans come apart and go back together so much more easily than any of the previous generation of Britannias and Clans.  Infact the 'fit' of the cab and chassis is so easy there feels to me to be some slack when you lift the engine off the track.  Inside my model there was a little piece of sponge rubber - has something now been made too big?

51560127282_143c606100_5k.jpg

Rear fixing for R3995 Clan McDonald

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Informative/Useful 3

Fof those of us contemplating adding some black paint to the running board I have attached a couple of images of the reversing rod.  The fitting on Clan McDonald is not fully glued and I feel sure with a little bit of 'effort' it could be persuaded out of its hole in the running board which would male the addition of some balck paint a whole lot more easy.

51561160843_99cc2d5ccc_5k.jpg

Hornby Clan McDonald R3995 - top of running board.

51560914476_9cbaac98a0_5k.jpg

Hornby Clan McDonald R3995 - underside of running board.

Cheers Ray

• Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Fof those of us contemplating adding some black paint to the running board I have attached a couple of images of the reversing rod.  The fitting on Clan McDonald is not fully glued and I feel sure with a little bit of 'effort' it could be persuaded out of its hole in the running board which would male the addition of some balck paint a whole lot more easy.

51561160843_99cc2d5ccc_5k.jpg

Hornby Clan McDonald R3995 - top of running board.

51560914476_9cbaac98a0_5k.jpg

Hornby Clan McDonald R3995 - underside of running board.

Cheers Ray

From the visible bulging of the running plate, removing the reversing rod and thinning the tab that passes through the running plate would seem to be advantageous.

CJI.

• Agree 3

Received my Clan Stewart today and overall I'm happy with the green used and the lining  which is definitely orange, possibly a shade lighter than fully accurate. I have successfully repainted the running plates, using a new natural hair brush, small size. I was able to get it under and inside the reversing rod to apply paint up to the firebox. I mixed a paint match to the black sheen of the other parts of the loco using 50:50 mix of Revell Matt black 6 and Humbrol satin black 85. My heart was in my mouth for several minutes, but it has come out a consistent sheen and finish. Phew.

I've sent an e-mail to Hornby customer services to advise them of the error and wait to see what response comes.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

29 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Received my Clan Stewart today and overall I'm happy with the green used and the lining  which is definitely orange, possibly a shade lighter than fully accurate. I have successfully repainted the running plates, using a new natural hair brush, small size. I was able to get it under and inside the reversing rod to apply paint up to the firebox. I mixed a paint match to the black sheen of the other parts of the loco using 50:50 mix of Revell Matt black 6 and Humbrol satin black 85. My heart was in my mouth for several minutes, but it has come out a consistent sheen and finish. Phew.

I've sent an e-mail to Hornby customer services to advise them of the error and wait to see what response comes.

Request for pictures please :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Answers on a Post Card?

I have been inside 'McDonald' to refit the top lamp iron.

Following the suggestion that there is an element of new tooling I was comparing R2847 with R3995/6 and note that R2847 came with a pair of sandboxes at the front.  Were they particular to McLeod or should they also have been on one or more of the new models?

51561606439_82f84ac863_5k.jpg

Hornby R2847 Front Sand Boxes

Secondly these new Clans come apart and go back together so much more easily than any of the previous generation of Britannias and Clans.  Infact the 'fit' of the cab and chassis is so easy there feels to me to be some slack when you lift the engine off the track.  Inside my model there was a little piece of sponge rubber - has something now been made too big?

Rear fixing for R3995 Clan McDonald

Just looking in Dave Clarkes Locomotives in detail No 5. According to the general arrangement diagrams the Brits had 3 sandboxes, the Clans only the 2  - over the middle and rear driver. Wonder if this is actually a correction rather than an omission?

• Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Please don't be holding your breath :ireful:

Well oh sceptic, I've just had a response and after speaking to the development team, they consider that green for the top of the running plate is correct. They have copied a photo used in the development, which is a view from above one side running board looking back to the cab and although very dusty, is clearly green. Now the loco is unidentifiable from the photo, so no evidence it is Stewart or MacDonald, but clearly a standard and I assume they can link it to the Class 6. I'll try and download and copy the photo tomorrow.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Well oh sceptic, I've just had a response and after speaking to the development team, they consider that green for the top of the running plate is correct. They have copied a photo used in the development, which is a view from above one side running board looking back to the cab and although very dusty, is clearly green. Now the loco is unidentifiable from the photo, so no evidence it is Stewart or MacDonald, but clearly a standard and I assume they can link it to the Class 6. I'll try and download and copy the photo tomorrow.

So they just need to evidence this for 2 Brits (early crest 70013 and  late crest 70046) plus 2 Clans and we'll all be eating humble pie :)

• Like 1

Here is the photo Hornby sent me. Clearly taken in shed of a Class 6 or 7, unfortunately no location given. Logic would indicate that as a non standard livery, it's likely to have only been used forb the two Clans that had lined green painted cylinder covers, during the 1962 overhaul. I can't see that the green running board could be correct for the pre 1956 early crest Clan.

For me, I'm sticking with black running boards for Stewart, as my plan is to backdate it to pre 1962. I have lined black cylinder spare coming from AC Models.

BR-Clan.png

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Photo of the preserved Oliver Cromwell I'm afraid.

Bressingham? Could be Loughborough GCR.

https://steammemories.blogspot.com/2016/06/70013-oliver-cromwell-on-shed-at.html

Jason

Looking on Flickr there are a lot of picturs of 'preserved' Oliver with a green running board.

There is a picture of Clan MacGregor at Perth in the early to mid 60s but it is 'well weathered'.   I could imagine it has a green footboard but you need lots of imagination.

72005 Clan Macgregor coasts into Perth with a very mixed goods

Courtesy Gary Straiton

There is another picture after its 1961 overhaul which makes the cylinders look green.

BR Standard Clan 72005 Clan MacGregor - St Boswells

Courtesy David Burrell

Ray

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Photo of the preserved Oliver Cromwell I'm afraid.

Bressingham? Could be Loughborough GCR.

https://steammemories.blogspot.com/2016/06/70013-oliver-cromwell-on-shed-at.html

Jason

Agree definitely preservation era. Interesting though as being an NRM loco they are usually fastidious about accuracy of livery so I am guessing there is some documentary evidence for this on 70013 at least. I wonder if it had green running boards when it first went to Bressingham direct from BR? Which might then evidence this was a feature of end of steam ‘economy repaints’? Not evidence for widespread application though so far. Interesting 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For atm the only retailer website displaying an actual out of the box image of a new issue Clans  R 3995/6 log on to Kernow. .TBH,I don’t believe Ray’s image is far off these but judge for yourselves. As Rails have dropped out of the Hornby circuit,this is the one I now trust to supply me with a reasonably accurate colour impression.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For atm the only retailer website displaying an actual out of the box image of a new issue Clans  R 3995/6 log on to Kernow. 

Ooh yes Ian - and 'MacDonald' has its top lamp iron missing - the very same that I repaired this morning (lucky I had a spare left over from 70040).

Cheers Ray

PS I am becoming convinced that Hornby have missed off the sand boxes from 'Stewart'.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Another picture from Flickr to ponder over.

72008 with perhaps green cyinder covers.

Courtesy of 'Richard'

And whilst being black and white I would say this image by David Hudspeth shows very clearly green cylinders:

72008 (3)-Edit

And I would suspect that the cylinders acquired green paint late on in the Clans careers at a time when it seemed to be used  fairly indiscriminately. Clan Macleod is probably ex works and will not remain in this condition for long

I am deeply sceptical about the application of green to the running plate on both models but especially to 72004 and Hornby’s R&D reply to Rembrow gives no reason for confidence in this decision. The paint finish bears little resemblance to the colour on either the box sleeve or to the 2009 issue . Nor is it the shade of BR green that I recall these locos and many others carried back in the day 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Accuracy

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Nor is it the shade of BR green that I recall these locos and many others carried back in the day 

Brits were green???

(Sorry - I knew them only in their end-of-life Kingmoor days.)

17 minutes ago, pH said:

You got one! Two of that class became 'BR Clans' - withdrawn 1948 and 1950.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p52259219/e43d395ee

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/asset/26103/

Yep. Clan Mackinnon is the plan. I already had a Modelmaster transfer set of the Scottish painted nameplates with that name on it.

Has a handful of names on it for the HR Bens, LNER D11s, D34s, J36s, etc.

Slowly getting a few Scottish locos for a little project I was considering.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For atm the only retailer website displaying an actual out of the box image of a new issue Clans  R 3995/6 log on to Kernow. .TBH,I don’t believe Ray’s image is far off these but judge for yourselves. As Rails have dropped out of the Hornby circuit,this is the one I now trust to supply me with a reasonably accurate colour impression.

For those of you who want more than a view of the box top.Repeated from previous page…try this.