Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

I’m reasonably reassured by the pic on Kernow’s website and the pic blow earlier produced earlier in this thread (I do not know copyright owner, will happily credit or remove if this is an issue)

39287173-E4-CF-4-DB7-8126-91-CED458-B661

These satisfy me that the clans did have green running plates (the difference between green and black in the above picture is very evident and the running plate shade matches the boiler) and that I should not be too worried about the colour of what I have just bought. The model is now at my house awaiting inspection this evening so I shall report back then if anyone is interested 

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Edge said:

I’m reasonably reassured by the pic on Kernow’s website and the pic blow earlier produced earlier in this thread (I do not know copyright owner, will happily credit or remove if this is an issue)

39287173-E4-CF-4-DB7-8126-91-CED458-B661

These satisfy me that the clans did have green running plates (the difference between green and black in the above picture is very evident and the running plate shade matches the boiler) and that I should be be too worried about the colour of what I have just bought. The model is now at my house awaiting inspection this evening so I shall report back then if anyone is interested 

Very interested to hear any and all views of the new model and also photo's. All interesting, helpful and good fun. I dont  share your conviction that the running board in the photo is green though - none of the colours are distinct but the section by the smoke deflector looks definitely black to me.

• Agree 3

38 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Very interested to hear any and all views of the new model and also photo's. All interesting, helpful and good fun. I dont  share your conviction that the running board in the photo is green though - none of the colours are distinct but the section by the smoke deflector looks definitely black to me.

Hmm - I *think* that's an optical illusion. It looks green to me and (not pulling rank) I'm a still-youngish (40) ex-military type who needed perfect colour perception for my role. Of course, as has been pointed out upthread it's difficult to do colour properly via a screen image, but I'm happy that's a green running plate right along to the top of the first step. To my naked eye anyway - whether decent image enhancement would change my view is a different point.

I will do likewise with 72004 when it arrives today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As you say FUN ( behind gritted teeth ):jester: No the Green IMHO is a21stC fiction I agree. And yes the images on the Kernow website reflect an attractive if incorrectly liveried model so given this and the fact that it’s been a model eagerly anticipated and much in demand for a decade,modellers will want this to succeed and thus decide to buy.

I would have been a punter for72004. However for my specific obvious reasons I no longer am.Enjoy the model.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling

1 hour ago, Edge said:

(I do not know copyright owner, will happily credit or remove if this is an issue)

In my Post I credited the picture to Gary Straiton (on Flickr).

I found four images last night on Flickr and for each one I copied the email link for sharing.  On pasting the link into RMweb I was surprised to find that the link magically changed and RMweb pulled in the image.  Perhaps there is another way of posting the link?  I have included the names of all the Flickr members whose pictures I have shared.

When I use my own Flickr images I use HTML code which is often disabled for other people's images where they have prohibited downloading.

Seems to me that there is a difference between sharing and dowloading.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

As you say FUN ( behind gritted teeth ):jester: No the Green IMHO is a21stC fiction I agree. And yes the images on the Kernow website reflect an attractive if incorrectly liveried model so given this and the fact that it’s been a model eagerly anticipated and much in demand for a decade,modellers will want this to succeed and thus decide to buy.

I would have been a punter for72004. However for my specific obvious reasons I no longer am.Enjoy the model.

I think we are of like mind on this one. Torn between the oddly coloured Clan and the flawed V2. Might end up dieselizing and going straight to the Brush Type 4! 'Fun' as in we are lucky to be in a position to buy these expensive toys at all and all of this healthy debate about the past is a welcome relief from the day to day stresses of the present :tomato:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I think we are of like mind on this one. Torn between the oddly coloured Clan and the flawed V2. Might end up dieselizing and going straight to the Brush Type 4! 'Fun' as in we are lucky to be in a position to buy these expensive toys at all and all of this healthy debate about the past is a welcome relief from the day to day stresses of the present :tomato:

Too true 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

On pasting the link into RMweb I was surprised to find that the link magically changed and RMweb pulled in the image.  Perhaps there is another way of posting the link? 

When I copy a link into a post on here, I get the picture in the post, but also a message:

“Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead”

If I then click on the ‘Display as a link instead’ part of the message, the picture is removed and a link to it substituted in the post. That’s the only chance you get to substitute the link, though. The option doesn’t remain available after that.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I think Hornby have absolutely nailed it with the shade of green they have done this time. It has depth and life unlike the shades used back when the Britannia came out circa 2006. I understand that colour perception is a highly subjective thing, given the vagaries of the human eye and brain, but compared to photos of the prototype and seeing full-size BR green locos in preservation, with correct application of BR green, to my mind if not spot in it is at least very, very close 

OK, those lined green cylinders and the firebox are a bit of a fantasy but nothing some well aimed black paint and weathering won't solve if you have the skills.

IMG_20211008_145028.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 07/10/2021 at 14:01, cctransuk said:

From the visible bulging of the running plate, removing the reversing rod and thinning the tab that passes through the running plate would seem to be advantageous.

CJI.

A better fit - left unglued whilst I contemplate some black paint.

51564949876_e2ef83da68_5k.jpg

51564157822_05dec30f1a_5k.jpg

Cheers Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

Personally, I think Hornby have absolutely nailed it with the shade of green they have done this time. It has depth and life unlike the shades used back when the Britannia came out circa 2006. I understand that colour perception is a highly subjective thing, given the vagaries of the human eye and brain, but compared to photos of the prototype and seeing full-size BR green locos in preservation, with correct application of BR green, to my mind if not spot in it is at least very, very close 

OK, those lined green cylinders and the firebox are a bit of a fantasy but nothing some well aimed black paint and weathering won't solve if you have the skills.

IMG_20211008_145028.jpg

The green cylinders are accurate and clearly evidenced in photo's, its the green tops of the running boards that are more suspect. Agree re perception of colour and camera's and screens change how things look to the viewer. You photo for instance looks like metallic green on my screen :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, I picked mine up from Monk Bar in York today, and must admit that in the flesh (or plastic) it looks considerably better than in some of the photos I've seen (both here and elsewhere). The green has a nice sheen to it an a reasonable shade, certainly better than some of Hornby's recent offerings to my eyes. 

It was a nice surprise to find a set of flanged wheels in the box for the rear pony truck as well! I presume this is just because the original releases had them too.

Anyhow, I'm glad I finally have a Clan, now to decided whether to rename it, and whether to repaint the running plate or not!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

Mine’s arrived from Derails - stunning model, complete with in situ top lamp bracket. Colour nothing like in some pictures.

probably going to become Hengist, but sorely tempted to leave it be.

before anyone thinks this is a paid for review, I’m still not convinced the green running plate is right (at least for early emblem), though have asked the question of the experts. But other than that, Best Buy this year. 

next week, with a bit of luck (not having to work) I’ll take it up to the club for a proper work-out

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 1

Mine's here (72004). Currently running in and seems fairly smooth. Good weight to it. Green is okay I think. I can live with the running plate lining - I think it's more finely printed than earlier releases of the 6MT and 7MT. Still not convinced about the green running plate though - I'd never heard about any running plates being anything other than black until this debate started! 

Missing its top lamp iron. Not one floating around in the box either. Am I likely to get a replacement lamp iron now that I've emailed Hornby?

It looks good. It looks like it could have been nearly £200-worth of brilliance. But the jury's still out.

Henry 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

Mine's here (72004). Currently running in and seems fairly smooth. Good weight to it. Green is okay I think. I can live with the running plate lining - I think it's more finely printed than earlier releases of the 6MT and 7MT. Still not convinced about the green running plate though - I'd never heard about any running plates being anything other than black until this debate started! 

Missing its top lamp iron. Not one floating around in the box either. Am I likely to get a replacement lamp iron now that I've emailed Hornby?

It looks good. It looks like it could have been nearly £200-worth of brilliance. But the jury's still out.

Henry 

Hi

If you can’t get a replacement lamp iron make one using a cut down metal staple.

You can either glue it to the face of the smoke box door or drill a small hole and set it into the smokebox door either way once painted they look perfectly acceptable.

If you fit loco lamps to your models drill a 0.7mm hole in the base of the lamp and it fits onto the staple easily.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

If you can’t get a replacement lamp iron make one using a cut down metal staple.

You can either glue it to the face of the smoke box door or drill a small hole and set it into the smokebox door either way once painted they look perfectly acceptable.

If you fit loco lamps to your models drill a 0.7mm hole in the base of the lamp and it fits onto the staple easily.

David

And while I absolutely value your guidance (genuinely - thank you - I can use this for kit building and second hand stuff), I'm sure we are all in agreement that I shouldn't need to put staples or drills anywhere near a brand-new £200 product. 

Henry 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Henry 84F said:

And while I absolutely value your guidance (genuinely - thank you - I can use this for kit building and second hand stuff), I'm sure we are all in agreement that I shouldn't need to put staples or drills anywhere near a brand-new £200 product. 

Henry 

Hi Totally agree with you but something as small as a lamp iron may not only be difficult to post but also difficult to fit as well.

I know this from experience as the lamps irons on my Hornby A4’s often break especially when you are fitting loco lamps to them.

Good luck either way.

Da I’d 

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

For the record Clan Stewart R3996 and Clan Buchanan R2846 - using an elderly Cannon SX110.  Two different interpretations of the position of the lining on the cylinders.  I would also suggest that the lining to the running board is finer on the older model - it is certainly a different colour.

51565422102_5e39c7ea76_3k.jpg

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Henry 84F said:

Many years ago 'Apollo' arrived minus a lamp iron.  I reported the loss to the supplier Bourton Model Rail who in turn sourced one from Hornby.

I have just fitted a replacement top iron to Stewart.  I used Bluetak to position the lamp iron in the hole.  I then removed the Bluetak and adjusted the postion of the lamp iron using finger nails.   I should have said that I had taken the body off the chassis and I was then able to apply super glue to the hole in the back of the smokebox door.  A bit time consuming but much more controlled than trying to use 'glue' from the outside.

Good luck

Ray

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

10 minutes ago, Edge said:

My pictures -  

Thank you for posting.  Clan Stewart looks very good in your pictures.

Your hand rail at the back of the cab is just like mine was - it is escaping from under the cab roof.  I used a tiny screw driver to break the glued joints between the rear cab supports and the cab roof so that I could tuck the handrail wire back under the roof.

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines