Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

16 hours ago, Henry 84F said:

A much-appreciated prompt reply from Hornby this morning about my two Clan-related qualms. Despite giving them the product code for Clan MacDonald, I think they were replying about Clan Stewart. They attached an old colour photo which does suggest a green running plate underneath the grime. I'm still not convinced this applies to 72004 though but really appreciated their time to make their case. 

Henry

Hi Henry, any chance you could show us this picture from Hornby, please? All we have from them so far seems to be the picture posted last week by rembrow, which doesn't help the discussion as it appears to be taken of 70013 in preservation days.

Thanks

Trevor

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, bluesparkdave said:

I'm looking to portray my Clan Stewart as it would have ran in 1960. I'm guessing it should have black running boards, black cylinders, black nameplates, an early crest, and no electrification flashes? And possibly still fairly clean? Does this sound about right?

All of that - with the exception of the cleanliness - was true in October 1958. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bluesparkdave said:

I'm looking to portray my Clan Stewart as it would have ran in 1960. I'm guessing it should have black running boards, black cylinders, black nameplates, an early crest, and no electrification flashes? And possibly still fairly clean? Does this sound about right?

Sounds about right.  You should search Flickr for both '72009' and 'Clan Stewart'.  Some people's dates are contradictory but black name plates were still around in 1961, in fact plenty of black around as 'Downer' says.

There is a picture of 72007 and 72009 at Kingmoor with their front bogies removed -fitted with overhead warning flashes and dated July 1960.  You will also need to reposition the smokebox lamp iron to the top if you are backdating  Hornby's Stewart.

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, bluesparkdave said:

Thanks for the reply confirming this as being the case in 1958. Would anything have changed between 1958 - 60? I'm not completely sure when red nameplates were introduced, but I think it was later than 1960?

In fact red backed nameplates were around from the early 1950’s. 

7 hours ago, Trev52A said:

Hi Henry, any chance you could show us this picture from Hornby, please? All we have from them so far seems to be the picture posted last week by rembrow, which doesn't help the discussion as it appears to be taken of 70013 in preservation days.

Thanks

Trevor

Sorry for getting your hopes up! Turns out it was the post-pres 70013 image from a few posts back. That will teach me to not read back far enough. And it seems we're back to square one with the running plate debate...

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Sounds about right.  You should search Flickr for both '72009' and 'Clan Stewart'.  Some people's dates are contradictory but black name plates were still around in 1961, in fact plenty of black around as 'Downer' says.

There is a picture of 72007 and 72009 at Kingmoor with their front bogies removed -fitted with overhead warning flashes and dated July 1960.  You will also need to reposition the smokebox lamp iron to the top if you are backdating  Hornby's Stewart.

Cheers Ray

That's when they were being fitted with AWS I believe.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

Sorry for getting your hopes up! Turns out it was the post-pres 70013 image from a few posts back. That will teach me to not read back far enough. And it seems we're back to square one with the running plate debate...

Which is unlikely to reach a definitive conclusion unless documentation is found.Contemporary online photographic collection serves to demonstrate a shortage of colour image ( unsurprisingly as it didn’t become widespread until the late 1950’s )and the general overall filthy state of the class under which colour as such was unrecognisable.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

So ignoring the paint finish and all the other stated faults, what is it like as a model? Does it run smoothly? 

Mine certainly took a bit of running in but it got there. Eventually it was smooth and steady. For a while in reverse there was a noticeable rattle/groan from the motor (I think) but this disappeared after a while.

On 12/10/2021 at 19:57, cbrooks122000 said:

So ignoring the paint finish and all the other stated faults, what is it like as a model? Does it run smoothly? 

I see that you are still waiting for someone to take up the challenge and give you an answer!  I have posted a video on YouTube - R3995 has the green running boards and green tender top.  My older Clan Stewart alias Clan McLeod has the etched plates and black running board.  Not a lot to choose between the two of them.  With no springing in the bogie or chassis they both bounce around.  R3995 (Clan McDonald) seems to run faster.  R2847 is perhaps showing its age.

https://youtu.be/laR4IWNvsRU

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

On 12/10/2021 at 18:27, Henry 84F said:

That's disappointing - I thought we were all about to be proved wrong(!) :huh: Thanks for trying, though.

Trevor

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i know the model is plastic, but its looks really plastic in the video, dare i say cheap. Not really explaining my self but hopefully you get what i mean.

Which is what it’s not in monetary terms. Almost double in price to the 2009 edition when first released.However it’s a model that’s been on many must have lists for quite some time so naturally allowances are being made. Some discreet weathering will help no doubt.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Which is what it’s not in monetary terms. Almost double in price to the 2009 edition when first released.However it’s a model that’s been on many must have lists for quite some time so naturally allowances are being made. Some discreet weathering will help no doubt.

I recall that when I bought my 72008 it was the first loco I'd paid more than £100 for - in fact I think it was more expensive than the Britannia it was of course based on. Very disappointed with images and reports of the new edition though maybe it will look better in the plastic as it were. Got a trip out to places with model shops planned for the weekend so will see if I can be tempted .......  

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I recall that when I bought my 72008 it was the first loco I'd paid more than £100 for - in fact I think it was more expensive than the Britannia it was of course based on. Very disappointed with images and reports of the new edition though maybe it will look better in the plastic as it were. Got a trip out to places with model shops planned for the weekend so will see if I can be tempted .......  

Every time I see the green running plate it kills off any temptation 

• Agree 4

I got my (original release) Clan in a sale at the Holborn Modelzone. It had sat in the cabinet for weeks, then I noticed that Hornby stocks were dwindling in the store, though nothing had been mentioned anywhere. I got it for about £38 as I remember, I was well pleased with that and it soon changed id to Clan Stewart, the GE example. I happen to like the name too......

Stewart

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Well, my 72004  Clan MacDonald arrived this afternoon. In my humble opinion,  worra stunner!

On the positive side:

The green looks very good, slight sheen to it and looks the right shade.  Much better than the A2s for instance.

The lining is orange and black, not red and black like the A2s etc.  The orange looks like the colour on various waterside and pressfix lining transfers, colour photos of BR locos and the lid of my really really old tin of Humbrol BR lining orange.   :-)

The lining on the side of the foot boards is also orange, matches the boiler/cab/tender lining ok, looks much better than the colour shown in earlier pics on this thread.

The cab detail is very good (this was a feature of the original models I believe).

Very nice screw link coupling already fitted, plus a spare.

And (as was mentioned earlier as well)  it comes with a flanged wheelset for the trailing wheels!  Yes, that's a.   flanged.    wheelset.         Ace stuff.

On the down side:

No top lamp iron (as was to be expected). 

Green foot boards, although I didn't actually notice those for  a while. I seriously doubt that original livery locos would have had that, probably bodies were made to fit 72009 and also used for 72004.

Also, and I don't think this has been noticed before, the top of the tender behind the coal space is also green!

Fortunately, secret weapon Tamiya XF-1 (or equivalent) is available to placate members of Clan Itshouldnthavegreenfootboards.   

Another plus point was the very good packaging. Rather like a multi-layered Russian doll.

Starting with the loco in the usual clear plastic hinged pack,   that goes in a clear plastic sleeve, which fits into a reinforced card box, which has a card sleeve, which goes into a plastic bag which slides into a sturdy cardboard box.  6 layers.  So arrived in perfect condition.

I'm super happy with this.  Haven't run it yet, so that's next. I'll be back.  later.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Another plus point was the very good packaging. Rather like a multi-layered Russian doll.

Starting with the loco in the usual clear plastic hinged pack,   that goes in a clear plastic sleeve, which fits into a reinforced card box, which has a card sleeve, which goes into a plastic bag which slides into a sturdy cardboard box.  6 layers.

Sounds a bit overkill in these days of trying to reduce carbon footprints.

CJI.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1