Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Sounds a bit overkill in these days of trying to reduce carbon footprints.

CJI.

True. However, it does protect the loco very well. Think I've read somewhere that Chinese packaging designers test their products by what they called something like the  "Chinese drop kick" whereby a suitable burly worker boots the test package across the factory floor...

Some years ago (about 30) in my IT days I had a contract with a well known seller of food and clothes.  The EU (remember them?) had introduced a tax called the Green Dot tax which was intended to reduce packaging on products for sale. This was to reduce weight to be transported, energy and materials in producing the packaging in the first place, and most importantly, waste after the packaging was thrown away.  The company decided to pay the tax on excess packaging and go on as they were.  They calculated that their sales would drop otherwise because buyers had a perception that food was fresher and clothes crisper and cleaner if sold in the expected heavy duty packaging - which could also carry more of the brand's identifying logos. They were selling the packaging as a big part of the product!  So my colleagues and I produced them a computer system to track, calculate and pay the taxation. An overhead they were happy to pay as it didn't cut into their sales - or so they thought, as they hadn't tried reducing packaging...

Strange world.

But my Clan turned up in one piece....

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, railroadbill said:

Another plus point was the very good packaging. Rather like a multi-layered Russian doll.

Starting with the loco in the usual clear plastic hinged pack,   that goes in a clear plastic sleeve, which fits into a reinforced card box, which has a card sleeve, which goes into a plastic bag which slides into a sturdy cardboard box.  6 layers.  So arrived in perfect condition.

Sounds pretty much standard for Hornby of late.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

But my Clan turned up in one piece....

I thought there was some mention of a missing lamp iron.  Mine was damaged as though the front of the engine had been forced against the packaging - the bit broken off was in the tray under the engine.  'Stewart' of course had had its top lanp iron lowered so not the same problem,

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

9 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I thought there was some mention of a missing lamp iron.  Mine was damaged as though the front of the engine had been forced against the packaging - the bit broken off was in the tray under the engine.  'Stewart' of course had had its top lanp iron lowered so not the same problem,

Ray

Yup, should have said "one piece without top lamp iron" of course. Couldn't find it.

• Friendly/supportive 3

13 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Yup, should have said "one piece without top lamp iron" of course. Couldn't find it.

Exactly the same problem with my 72004, except the lamp iron was floating about in the clear plastic packaging (although I almost didn't recognise it for what it was) and was reattached.

If you look at the pic of 72004 on the Kernow website the top lamp iron on that loco is also missing..

Must be something to do with Hornby and top lamp irons, I believe on the A2/2s they went missing with monotonous regularity, and if I remember correctly on certain websites the issue was again displayed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Made a visit to one of my local emporium today.

I took photo’s of each loco I might be tempted to buy for reference but looking now I think they also provide a useful comparison of Hornby’’s most recent renditions of BR green passenger livery. 

The attached all taken with an iPhone and with the same lighting (albeit the A2’s are nearest the light source).  I think 72008, 46257  and 46211 are all the same shade of green and share the same orange/tangerine lining. Personal view - I don’t like it. The green isnt bad (but not as close to prototype as Bachmann) bu the lining is too bright and too far towards the yellow spectrum. I do also think the lining on the cab side and cylinders of 72008 is a different shade to the edge of the running boards.

Note that 72008 has a full compliment of lamp brackets too (unlike Cock of the North and Thane of Fife both of which were missing the top bracket). 

The cabinet of loco’s is  always a temptation (the only thing I actually needed was a CDU!) but having seen the Clan in the flesh and considered each of the others I couldn’t be tempted. And Hornby that is all down to execution of the livery.

In the end the only extra purchase was an Oxford Rail BP tank - my wife was amazed!

687A55C6-4F5E-4CBE-9B59-B31175036E51.jpeg

A741226A-D921-4B98-9F56-359A1AFD3217.jpeg

66693C48-ADED-46A2-8A0F-E60B70B45D11.jpeg

0F50BE80-AB0C-43CB-93B2-80F939101DBB.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, is the model of 72004 suitable for a layout set in the late 50’s/early 60’s if the crest is updated to a late crest. Thanks Fred 

By 1960 there would have been some subtle changes which you may or may not accept.

There are not many pictures on Flickr - try searching Clan MacDonald and separate;y 72004.  There is anice view at Crewe with an early embelm labelled c 1952.

There are a number of views dated 1961.  One in particular from 'Peter' shows a Late Crest, no warning flashes, lamp iron still at top dead centre.  However I think the cab rear support has been modified to fit the rubber engine to tender weahter shield.

https://flic.kr/p/dU9vtN

Cheers Ray

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

By 1960 there would have been some subtle changes which you may or may not accept.

Cheers Ray

Indeed in this picture its a Taff Vale version, pending a transfer to South Wales for coal traffic and thus become an 0-6-2

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 8

I've reinstated the warning flashes to Clan Stewart, thanks to Ray's (Silver Sidelines) photo evidence, so it still has repainted running plate in black and black lined cylinders. I've decided to retain the late crest, even though Ray's evidence indicates it retained the early crest into 1961. 

• Like 1

72004 model doesn't have speedometer drive or aws gear which 72009 has. So to be totally accurate it would depend on whether they were fitted before, when or after the late emblem was applied.

(reply to Fredo)

Actually, 72004 doesn't have speedo drive from rear driver in Ray's photo with late crest above. And it's got the top lamp iron.

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

There are not many pictures on Flickr - try searching Clan MacDonald and separate;y 72004.  There is anice view at Crewe with an early embelm labelled c 1952.

There are a number of views dated 1961.  One in particular from 'Peter' shows a Late Crest, no warning flashes, lamp iron still at top dead centre.  However I think the cab rear support has been modified to fit the rubber engine to tender weahter shield.

Cheers Ray

Behind the a  Clan is a new Sulzer “Peak” ( later Class 45) .They were new to the Midland Mainline from the beginning of 1961 and then worked regularly over the S&C into Glasgow St. Enoch on the “Thames Clyde Express “

• Informative/Useful 1

P1140214.JPG.86db2ad6e989745a6435bffdcd3c54b4.JPG

At the very real risk of everyone groaning "oh no not what-is-BR-green again", here's my take on it.  Pic taken in daylight.

The Grange is sprayed with Precision Paints P101 BR loco green (post 1954) enamel and lined with modelmaster decals.

When the H-D Bristol Castle was manufactured, the full sized locos were still running in that livery. (Not that that necessarily makes the model correct, but you could have put the model in the pocket of your duffel coat,  gone to Paddington or wherever and checked it out).  :)

CoTN is definitely the odd one out with that turgid almost olive drab livery and red/black lining.

Which leaves.... 72004 as being, well, reasonable enough with the colour.  Looks ok running round the layout.  That doesn't extend to the green running boards and tender top, which will definitely need seeing to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, railroadbill said:

When the H-D Bristol Castle was manufactured, the full sized locos were still running in that livery. (Not that that necessarily makes the model correct, but you could have put the model in the pocket of your duffel coat,  gone to Paddington or wherever and checked it out). 

Well done Bill, a man after my own heart.  I too had the idea of comparing with Hornby Dublo but didn't have the confidence to suggest.

Cheers Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ray. Must say your blog was a good inspiration during lock downs, got my Mainline Royal Scot restoration finished among other things!

Been running in Clan on layout having oiled it per instructions,   slow running good after a bit of use.  When I tried a higher speed once or twice, top speed seemed very high.  I tried it on the same track as another loco, Hornby rebuilt WC, and the Clan was running faster on the same controller setting (DC).  So I'm wondering if the Clan is higher geared than the WC, seems that way compared to the A2s with their excellent slow running capabilities.

Clan perfectly usable, runs well but does have this high geared feel to it.

Anyone else find this?

Edited by railroadbill
typo
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

.... top speed seemed very high.

Clan perfectly usable, runs well but does have this high geared feel to it.

Thanks Bill

Yes I will second that comment.

When I posted my video back a few pages:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/224-Hornby-clan/&do=findComment&comment=4606159

I commented that the New Clan MacDonald seemed to run faster than my old Clan McLeod (alias Clan Stewart).  I doubt very much that Hornby have altered the gearing.  However the motor is different - in particular the diameter of the part that fits into the motor retainer (nearest the tender) is a smaller diameter.  I came across this problem when I bought a replacement motor and it was a loose fit in the retainer on an old Britannia.  I had to find a suitable piece of plastic pipe to use as packing.

Cheers Ray

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for the link, Ray, just seen your video. These threads get so long it's difficult to remember what's already been posted!   The point about the new motor is useful, that explains the running.  Which said, the loco runs well and has more than enough pulling power. Does look good running round and I think this one will get a reasonable amount of running!

cheers

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2021 at 20:25, railroadbill said:

True. However, it does protect the loco very well. Think I've read somewhere that Chinese packaging designers test their products by what they called something like the  "Chinese drop kick" whereby a suitable burly worker boots the test package across the factory floor...

No good, they should outsource the test to Hermes.

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Or even worse...Yodel !!      :o

It's not about the company itself - but the people who work for them!

I get regular deliveries from all of them - Royal Mail, Parcel Force .......... right through to Yodel.

Maybe we are lucky here in Cornwall, but all the delivery agents are invariably polite, helpful and efficient.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I get regular deliveries from all of them - Royal Mail, Parcel Force .......... right through to Yodel.

Maybe we are lucky here in Cornwall, but all the delivery agents are invariably polite, helpful and efficient.

CJI.

I have to say it’s the same here in Scotland , I  now know my Hermes driver , who usually arrives late afternoon and my Royal Mail delivery driver , who usually is here 11 to 12 in morning . Outstanding service from both  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

It's not usually the end deliverers that are the problem. Most of the bad ones are normally gone pretty quickly.

I used to work in a RM sorting office and the problem was bored people with low intelligence thinking doing things like kicking or dropping parcels with FRAGILE written on them is funny.

Usually agency workers I hasten to add or students that have spent half the evening in the pub. They have no worries about repercussions as they are normally gone after a few weeks anyway.

One thing I learnt? Never write FRAGILE or DO NOT BEND on an item. 

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

If you think that postal workers may be a little rough on parcels then think about your international packages.  I spent a career in international aircraft engineering and an everyday occurrence was seeing airport baggage handlers abuse passengers' luggage and freight packages.  The word "Fragile" meant take care when handling so that one would not injure their back when unloading,  so these packages were regularly mishandled.   Palletising freight and baggage did help a lot but then what went on in the freight handling centres was behind closed doors.  The worst offenders were those unloading the bulk hold at the rear end of a B747 aft cargo hold.   Loose freight and baggage was manually loaded and unloaded here so the handlers had a field day.  

• Informative/Useful 1

:offtopic: Our postman is very efficient, knows where to safely leave significant parcels if we're out, like those containing model railway locos, such as the Hornby Clan.

DHL are very good in my experience, just received something I bought yesterday afternoon, turned up this morning.

An eBay purchase where the seller used Yodel (which I hadnt realised before buying it) has just taken 9 days to arrive ...