Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

I'm becoming really frustrated. My renumbered/renamed Clan has been stuck for three weeks waiting for Dutch customs clearance. Aaaaagggh!

Should have painted it black with red wheels and labelled it as a BR03… then it’d be fine.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, robmcg said:

For those who are interested, a TMC 'value weathered' R3995 BR 72004 'Clan MacGregor' .

72004_clan_portrait1_1a_Img_0927abcd1ab_r2080a.jpg.1a0efb3afb576dd00385ba062e756ace.jpg

Not a bad starting point, I like the way the bright wheel rims have gone, and there is some soot along the front of the boiler-top. Photo in partly artificial light, it's less brown around the wheels in natural light. 

Cheers

Hi Robbie

A nice looking model, may I suggest that some etched nameplates would improve the look considerably.

Regards

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My one (72004) is still running well. As a model railway engine it has plenty of grunt. Got it to pull 16 Mk1s, so more than enough pulling power for my layout.

I missed out on the Clans first time round, so happy to get one now.   Green does look a bit light, but within acceptable limits and the lining colours look ok, similar to the Modelmaster transfer lining I've used on various models.

Livery much better than say A2/2 and A2/3 where the lining is black and maroon rather than orange (and the green really is horrible).  They would be worth a repaint, relining  or heavy weathering, but the Clan will get by I think.

I have this feeling I should go and run it again.....

ps  Great pictures, Rob.

• Like 3

I’m really happy with my Clan Stewart. Runs flawlessly and I’d rather the green it’s in that stands out a bit more than some of the other BR greens out there. Considering I’m running a heritage era theme and there isn’t one (yet) in preservation, a slightly brighter green doesn’t matter to me

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Standards_in_OO said:

I’m really happy with my Clan Stewart. Runs flawlessly and I’d rather the green it’s in that stands out a bit more than some of the other BR greens out there. Considering I’m running a heritage era theme and there isn’t one (yet) in preservation, a slightly brighter green doesn’t matter to me

I’m now reunited with my layout after months of being trapped in Auckland’s lockdown, so yesterday was finally able to give Clan Stewart its first test run. Just a quick running in session using my ancient DC controller, but I was suitably impressed by its outstanding running qualities straight from the box.

I still consider my 2009 Clan MacGregor to be one of Hornby’s best performers of its day, but the motor in this upgraded version is on another level entirely. Smooth, powerful, fast and very, very quiet!

Next job is to install a spare Britannia TTS decoder in the tender. Yeah, I know, “TTS”, “ sacrilege”, “cheap and nasty”, blah, blah. blah….

You get what you pay for, I suppose, but the Brit sounds are actually fairly decent for a budget sound decoder (I’ve installed a couple already). I figure the Clans would have sounded very similar to their larger cousins, so it will keep me more than happy for now. I haven’t yet mastered the skills to tackle a high-spec sound decoder/speaker installation but will one day get a round tuit…

Incidentally, does anyone know if there’s a quality Clan sound project available from the usual DCC suppliers?

Edited by apollanaut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, robmcg said:

The other side of my TMC value-weathered Clan 72004, with pristine 72009 for comparison.

72009_clan_portrait11_1a_Img_0873a_r2080a.jpg.c400a4e1a47387ff75b87e8cd3945dcd.jpg

72004_clan_Img_0955abcde_r2080a.jpg.e7f37774feb1daa7e8ebfd602354e0e5.jpg

Well pleased with both, smooth quiet runners on short test.

Cheers

I started using TMC's services after my brother sent me a custom-weathered Bachmann Deltic for last year's birthday present. I thought they did a great job for a very affordable price, so I now order my new models from TMC whenever I want to add a few extra enhancements or install a quality bespoke sound decoder. My most recent purchase was Hornby's Lord Rodney in early BR livery, with an added crew, real coal and a full-fat sound project from Youchoos. I finally got to test it on my layout this week and am absolutely delighted with their work. It's clear to me that they must thoroughly test the models following a complex sound installation, as I've only needed much shorter running-in sessions to achieve maximum performance. The Lord Nelson is no exception, and I'll post some photos on the appropriate thread in due course.

And your TMC-weathered Clan looks absolutely superb, Rob!

Edited by apollanaut
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was browsing through colour rail and found these two photos of Clans that align with Hornby’s new liveries.

The first one is of 72001 in ex works condition (I wasn’t able to find the year)  and the second of 72007 dates from 1964. To my young eyes, I’m  pretty confident that 72007’s running plate is painted green but there is a bit of doubt. While I’m now more confident in the accuracy of the re-releases, I’m still not sure if I like all that green compared to the black…

5B9EAF47-8512-46F2-B0A0-E6697E29BCF2.jpeg.651c6ce63a9a33834ca89a64ee5e48ae.jpeg

E0F8BDD3-A650-4D01-AA85-25E19AEE5445.jpeg.cb9dea12241d7a6d5dbc031d36228b0f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, HCurrie said:

I was browsing through colour rail and found these two photos of Clans that align with Hornby’s new liveries.

The first one is of 72001 in ex works condition (I wasn’t able to find the year)  and the second of 72007 dates from 1964. To my young eyes, I’m  pretty confident that 72007’s running plate is painted green but there is a bit of doubt. While I’m now more confident in the accuracy of the re-releases, I’m still not sure if I like all that green compared to the black…

5B9EAF47-8512-46F2-B0A0-E6697E29BCF2.jpeg.651c6ce63a9a33834ca89a64ee5e48ae.jpeg

E0F8BDD3-A650-4D01-AA85-25E19AEE5445.jpeg.cb9dea12241d7a6d5dbc031d36228b0f.jpeg

Good research. However the first shot doesnt show the top of the running board  so I'm not sure we can draw a conclusion from it.  The second one is interesting, I agree the section above the middle and trailing drivers looks to be green though the section over the leading driver is black. The vast swathes of immaculate green on the model certainly look wrong.

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

Been running the Clan a lot on the layout, still going very well. Realised I hadn't attached the extra fittings, the brake and heating hoses to the buffer beam and the cylinder drain cocks. Well the pipes are ok, plenty of photos of the front of Clans for guidance.

However, it isn't clear which way the drain cocks should be fitted.

The mouldings are very fine indeed, but they are handed and there is a "bulge" on one side where a pipe would run over another (it appears).

Advice please, which side of the loco should each drain pipe fit?

846020042_1clandraina.jpg.0dde3c8f2e3639f712fedecc9bc69e03.jpg

Facing left, "bulge" outwards.

P1070206.JPG.75a61f22dafd5dfe5689c6f3d9f48e19.JPG

Same one, facing right, "bulge" inwards.

Should this go on the left or right cylinders?  The other drain cocks are the other way round.

1279062843_1britanniadrain.jpg.3da108a79fc5a4ac5afb82845930a200.jpg

Cylinder cocks (actually a Britannia) but it isn't clear to me how the pipes run.

Help gratefully received

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up a 72004 Clan MacDonald from Derails minus front top lamp bracket for £159. 

It arrived safely today nicely packaged and tested prior to dispatch.

Excellent service all round. 

Worth giving them a call. Currently Clan's from Derails are £179.00. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I folded and have bought 72004 from Kernow as they are currently being sold new at a very sensible price (£160) for this day and age. I was going to get one of them when originally announced but had my pre-order cancelled by the retailer and didn't bother reordering it again.

Like many others it seems I'm not a fan of the green running boards and plan to repaint them. I assume this is a simple enough job? Does anyone who has repainted them have any recommendations for which paint to use as well?

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 15:35, SteamingWales said:

So I folded and have bought 72004 from Kernow as they are currently being sold new at a very sensible price (£160) for this day and age. I was going to get one of them when originally announced but had my pre-order cancelled by the retailer and didn't bother reordering it again.

Like many others it seems I'm not a fan of the green running boards and plan to repaint them. I assume this is a simple enough job? Does anyone who has repainted them have any recommendations for which paint to use as well?

Looking at this on Kernow's website the top lamp iron on the smokebox door is missing and also it seems the left hand frame above the buffer beam. So is this why they are so "cheap"? Has Hornby decided to clear out models that have parts missing? Is that how they were offered to Kernow? The reduction is from the RRP £217.99. But on introduction the RRP was somewhat less. Hornby did announce last year that the price of new models would increase because of the increased costs of shipping. Fair enough but it seems they have decided to increase prices of all models already in stock. Of course they can do whatever they want but is this the way to treat their consumers?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Farang said:

Looking at this on Kernow's website the top lamp iron on the smokebox door is missing and also it seems the left hand frame above the buffer beam. So is this why they are so "cheap"? Has Hornby decided to clear out models that have parts missing? Is that how they were offered to Kernow? The reduction is from the RRP £217.99. But on introduction the RRP was somewhat less. Hornby did announce last year that the price of new models would increase because of the increased costs of shipping. Fair enough but it seems they have decided to increase prices of all models already in stock. Of course they can do whatever they want but is this the way to treat their consumers?

Well I haven't recieved it as yet, currently due for delivery tomorrow.

So will happily report back on what condition it is in. Fingers crossed the issues are only with the model photographed and like you say Kernow aren't just selling off a duff batch

Edited by SteamingWales
More detail

The price of the Clan has finally come to its senses.  Before the loco "Clan Macdonald" was even available in the UK I picked up the loco new from a Victorian dealer at 20% off local retail,  downunder.    Total cost with free postage was just under GBP100.00 ($205.00Aud).    At the time I believe the RRP in the UK was over GBP200.00.

Similarly,  the Hornby Belmond set with class 67 and three Pullman coaches could be purchased on local eBay for $280.00 new stock (cheaper than the Northern Belle set with the Railroad class 57 and three Mk2D coaches).  The current RRP is over twice this in the UK.  There is definitely a pricing discrepancy for new stock between both countries.  That being said,  a typical Hornby coach now is between $90.00 - $120.00.

On 12/04/2022 at 16:04, Farang said:

Following up on this as I finally got to open the box today (had it delivered to my parents)

The way it was packaged didn't suggest it was a knocked down model due to parts missing with an outer brown cardboard box and plastic sleeve around the box box. I.e. looked like it hadn't been opened prior to sale

On opening only problem I see is the lubricator has come loose/fallen off but should be easily fixed (I think). My only other comment would be that the body seems a bit loose on the chassis as I think others have alluded too. Anyone found a fix for this?

Otherwise pretty pleased with the model 😁

PXL_20220417_152340252.jpg.9e18d38ec96262aeaac05c9a411443a9.jpg

PXL_20220417_152416855.jpg.b12b9d3f8ce6389f8dca8901cc808081.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Following up on this as I finally got to open the box today (had it delivered to my parents)

The way it was packaged didn't suggest it was a knocked down model due to parts missing with an outer brown cardboard box and plastic sleeve around the box box. I.e. looked like it hadn't been opened prior to sale

On opening only problem I see is the lubricator has come loose/fallen off but should be easily fixed (I think). My only other comment would be that the body seems a bit loose on the chassis as I think others have alluded too. Anyone found a fix for this?

Otherwise pretty pleased with the model 😁

PXL_20220417_152340252.jpg.9e18d38ec96262aeaac05c9a411443a9.jpg

PXL_20220417_152416855.jpg.b12b9d3f8ce6389f8dca8901cc808081.jpg

I phoned Kernow about this and they said the model was one taken from stock for photography. If the photographer was a  modeller I'm surprised he didn't notice the missing parts. The models are part of Kernow's original shipment last year so not recently received from Hornby. I never saw a Clan but am thinking about buying one as it seems a nice model. A photo I found on the internet appears to show the running plate as black I'm not too sure about the green though, it seems a bit light. AFAIK BR green was Brunswick green. How did BR buy paint? Was it ready mixed from a manufacturer or did they buy the base colours and mix them in the works? But I would have thought Hornby would have researched this and found the nearest Pantone colour and specified it for all locos from whichever vendor they were buying?

• RMweb Gold
On 17/04/2022 at 16:38, SteamingWales said:

On 17/04/2022 at 16:38, SteamingWales said:

I think these two issues are related. The lubricator molding slots into a bracket attached to the chassis and is then held in place by the body. If the body is loose the lubricator is able to detach itself as has happened here. I haven’t got the latest version but on the earlier version (and the mechanically identical Brit) the body is a tight fit on the chassis. Possibilities for looseness would be not locating on the the chassis lug at the cab end or the front screw either not fully going home for some reason.  

• Agree 1