Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

I think this thread may well be creating the market and driving the prices

Regardless of any mention of Clans for sale on websites like this, (it probably helps find buyers) the value of a new or tidy Clan is in my opinion quite fairly put at a similar price to a rare or new models made to a similar standard  no pun intended, e.g. the Duchess, the upcoming Atlantics, existing NRM models and so on.  

• RMweb Gold

i'm still lurking for one.

The above one, I eluded to, I decided to pass on, as another one entered the fray in better condition. Only then the seller ended the auction early and accepted quite a low price.

ho hum.

I see another 72005 is on the market, if the wind blows the right direction it may end up mine.

One advantage of high end prices, is you can afford to be choosey, as overall there is less bidders, so you will eventually get lucky. At lower end prices someone will always bid a penny more than you, whatever the condition.

Edited by adb968008

i'm still lurking for one.

The above one, I eluded to, I decided to pass on, as another one entered the fray in better condition. Only then the seller ended the auction early and accepted quite a low price.

ho hum.

I see another 72005 is on the market, if the wind blows the right direction it may end up mine.

One advantage of high end prices, is you can afford to be choosey, as overall there is less bidders, so you will eventually get lucky. At lower end prices someone will always bid a penny more than you, whatever the condition.

As a regular seller as well as buyer I wouldn't dare predict buying patterns.   I'm quite sure a lot of buyers/browsers take great pleasure from very low bids, which are nearly always beaten but sometimes they get a genuine bargain, which can be kept or on-sold for a small profit.

In the end it's always mutual satisfaction, a happy buyer, a happy seller.  As we all know. :)  There are people buying such as Hornby Bulleid Light Pacifics s/h for £200 or more.

There has been a significant upturn in Clan prices over the last year, I think this is about rarity, and condition, and the increase in new model recommended retail prices,  now sometimes over £200.

I do feel rather smug for having bought an unboxed Clan 72008 about 18 months ago for £80, but I have paid close to £200 each for two others (one must have all three you know) 

cheers 

Edited by robmcg

• 3 weeks later...

Clans are so unsung and enigmatic.  What's not to like?

When I get the chance, I'll post photos of the 5 Hornby ones that I have - all weathered and all southern region...

So that's Hengist and Horsa, Wildfire and Wildbrand along with Canute.  Why the southern needed 5 more class six pacifics is anyone's guess, but they do look good

Anyone done any of the Northeastern batch never built?

:scratchhead:

• Like 1

I had no idea my Clan was such an investment! I got one, brand new, professionally renamed and renumbered, at the Glasgow show a few years ago for £120. I won't be selling it, though; I like it too much. 

BTW, a couple of pages ago, in post #251, the phrase 'exceptions inclusive' was used. I've seen some terrible things done to English online, but I've seldom seen such a grievous injury inflicted in quite so few words...!

post-9375-0-08631800-1526308644_thumb.jpg

post-9375-0-08631800-1526308644_thumb.jpg

Not sure how up to date their website is, and haven't been in for a while due to car related cash flow issues, however: 

http://lordandbutler.com/Hornby-r2846-clan-buchanan-8008-p.asp

I tried to buy this via their website which come complete with 'basket', it presumably works for some, but I ended up in a useless and infuriating circle of 'product' with no way to process the sale,      at one point the page said they will not sell to my country  (NZ)  at another point it said this product requires options, proceed to product page. Which has no links or tabs to continue.  No mention of VAT or shipping.

I don't think I have encountered such a toxic and poor website for some time.

I presume it's because we beat Wales at rugby.

p.s. the model isn't in their normal 00/H0 locomotives list, it's in special offers.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I tried to buy this via their website which come complete with 'basket', it presumably works for some, but I ended up in a useless and infuriating circle of 'product' with no way to process the sale,      at one point the page said they will not sell to my country  (NZ)  at another point it said this product requires options, proceed to product page. Which has no links or tabs to continue.  No mention of VAT or shipping.

I don't think I have encountered such a toxic and poor website for some time.

I presume it's because we beat Wales at rugby.

p.s. the model isn't in their normal 00/H0 locomotives list, it's in special offers.

More likely because the lad that did the IT left a while ago. 

My model is now repainted and relined / numbered as 72006; just the final details to add, and then I'll post a photo.

As I model the S&DJR in 1961, there is no justification whatsoever for a Clan - except that there are strong indications that some of the unbuilt second batch of Clans could have been allocated for traffic on the S&DJR.

My story will be that 72006 has been sent down from Carlisle to undertake trials, prior to the (fictional) build of the second batch.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

..... and here it is - somewhat behind time due to family commitments, but better late than never!

Despite the 'foolish' price that I paid on Ebay, it has been modified to have a swivelling trailing truck, completely (brush) painted with Phoenix BR Loco Green, lined and renumbered with my own transfers, and fitted with Modelmaster etched plates. A misting of Testors Dullcote took the edge off the ex-works appearance, but it is still evidently ready for a prestige train or a railtour.

post-2274-0-61721000-1526489466_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-31064200-1526489476_thumb.jpg

IMHO, and in the absense of a new run from Hornby, I am well pleased with my non-bargain.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Clan Alert!!!

Anyone in the market for a Clan, 72005 Clan MacGregor is for sale at the-saleroom.com.  Current bid £25 (at time of posting) and estimated at £40-£60 - I don't think so!

Auction due to end September 3rd and don't forget the 25% bidders premium and postage if you can't collect from Derbyshire.  

Loads of other good stuff in the auction, so worth having a trawl through.

Good hunting.

Steve

It won't be £40-£60 now that you've publicised it  :jester:

All that is shown is a quite mint box. Either the loco inside is mint and never been out of the tissue paper, or the nice box is hiding a multitude of undisclosed issues. Something of a gamble in terms of a bid.

• RMweb Gold

Clan Alert!!!

Anyone in the market for a Clan, 72005 Clan MacGregor is for sale at the-saleroom.com.  Current bid £25 (at time of posting) and estimated at £40-£60 - I don't think so!

Auction due to end September 3rd and don't forget the 25% bidders premium and postage if you can't collect from Derbyshire.  

Good hunting.

Steve

In the absence of froth on here one slipped through on ebay for about £130 a couple of weeks ago.

• RMweb Gold

All that is shown is a quite mint box. Either the loco inside is mint and never been out of the tissue paper, or the nice box is hiding a multitude of undisclosed issues. Something of a gamble in terms of a bid.

Just trying to be helpful! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, haven't mastered multi quote!

I find buying anything on auction sites a gamble and getting stuff posted introduces another risk factor. Always nervous when the auctioneers disclaim their abilities as a packing company. You could call the auctioneer and ask them for more information? Caveat emptor I guess

Judging by the other lots, this looks like the sale of a collection so would be optimistic that the model will be in good condition.

Steve

Think its 30% commission for Internet bidders...... worth remembering....before getting carried away !

Personally, I think I'll wait and see if Hornby announce the Clan back into the range in the near future.

You can be lucky, but generally these models are damaged in some way.

On past form at auctions and the like, I refuse to pay silly prices for these models without any form of guarantee or route of recourse.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium

Clan Alert!!!

Good hunting.

Steve

Final Hammer price was £170.00 + all of the add on's