Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

Guest Max Stafford

There's nothing at all visually jarring about this model and even the chimney looks pretty spot on to my eyes. One I've been waiting for for a long time and definitely worth the wait! :)

Dave.

Hmm amazing how a thread about kettles got overtaken by a one off Diesel !!

I noticed on MRE yesterday that Simon Kholer said the first examples were due to hit the shops soon! (Not that Ive any use for one of these good locos whatsoever, but would love an excuse to run one anyway on New Hey.

Andy, that's easy! They worked to Victoria on the Glasgow/Edinburgh - Manchester/Liverpool trains and stabled on Newton Heath. I'm sure one could have been borrowed between turns...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It seems the unrebuilt Bulleid pacifics were considered ???slippery??™ on the S&D and their allowed load adjusted accordingly. Robin Atthill in his book ???The Somerset & Dorset Railway??™ comments on this. He says ?????¦ it was hoped that they would be able to take at least ten coaches unassisted, about 320 tons tare??™, but because they were liable to slipping, they had to be limited to the same top load as the Stanier 5s (270 tons).

He also gives ratios of top load to tractive effort (in tons) for several classes of locos used on the S&D. The ratio for 2Ps was 26 to 1, for Stanier 5s 24 to 1, and for 9Fs 23.5 to 1. The figure for Bulleids was 19.5 to 1. Using the value of this figure for the 9F (the lowest other than the Bulleid??™s) gives a possible load of 288 tons for a Clan ??“ 18 tons more than the load for a Bulleid pacific or Stanier 5.

Any locomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel arrangement will be more prone to slipping than a loco without a trailing truck due to weight transferance when starting / working hard. On a Pacific this means that more weight is transferred onto the trailing truck thus reducing the adhesive weight on the driving wheels - obviously on locos without a trailing truck the weight stays on the drivers. Much the same on your car - when you accelerate hard the bonnet lifts and it 'sits down' at the back.

I took a look at one this week in my local model shop - it looks a superb model. When I get some money towards one, I'll buy one. But I was not convinced by the shape of the chimney, when I was looking at it in the shop. Here's some pics.

From Wiki:

72007_Clan_Mackintosh_at_Carlisle_Kingmoor_1965.jpg

Hornby's Effort (linked from Hornby magazine's website and reproduced for comparative reasons only):

DSC_2462_lr.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong! I'm suddenly not sure. The chimney does look a lot better there than what I thought I was seeing - is the comparison I am making perhaps more to do with my GA kit clan that may have a differently proportioned chimney to both the prototype and the real thing?

Here's mine, from the old RMweb:

CIMG6889.jpg

No idea now!!! <_<

But I am still going to get one, its just too nice a model to pass up! :D

Getting back to the model, I saw one in action the other day and it handled 10 Bachmann Mk1s up a 1:100 grade with no problem, we did not test it to destruction but it might have been able to handle more.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Just seen one of these at my local model shop (Woodchurch in Kent) and at a good price too! They told me that they cannot order anymore as they are all out of stock at Hornby and don't know if/when they might get anymore!! Not sure if anyone has heard the same? :icon_question:

Anyhow, wife and kids have agreed to club together to get me one for Christmas, so mine is now safely put aside and awaits collection - safest place for it otherwise I would only be tempted to play! :rolleyes:

Not sure if this is a smart move as I have 2 DJH Clans awaiting construction - owning the Hornby version will only put me off building them as I know I will never be able to match the fit, finish and running qualities of the RTR version! :(

Steve

Getting back to the model, I saw one in action the other day and it handled 10 Bachmann Mk1s up a 1:100 grade with no problem, we did not test it to destruction but it might have been able to handle more.

Given that it has a chassis identical with Hornby's Brit it should be able to do about 20 at the run, and restart 15 on a 1 in 100 gradient. The weight lift on the Brit I have tested is about 45g before significant wheelslip starts. A satisfactory mechanism, and a decent weight for tractive purposes as supplied.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, that's easy! They worked to Victoria on the Glasgow/Edinburgh - Manchester/Liverpool trains and stabled on Newton Heath. I'm sure one could have been borrowed between turns...

Phil

Given that Kingmoor had an allocation of the Clans I'd be surprised if they never turned up on the Carlisle to Oldham van trains, which I presume would have run through New Hey.

A not very good photo of the new Clan and my refurbished Jackson Evans version as resurrected last year. I hadn't realised how work weary mine was until I put the two together. Plans for the new one are obviously weathering and re-naming to Clan Gordon, and freeing up the rear bogie. I am also chewing over a repaint, as to my eye, the Hornby finish doesn't quite catch BR green. Currently in the to do pile, but it has been run-in with no problems at all.

Richard

post-2642-12573712430234_thumb.jpg

For your intended Clan Gordon,any choice of nameplate backing colour would be,of course,be accurate!...but Hornby's use of red on Clan Buchanan is I think wrong. So far as I can recall,the Polmadie locos,72000-72004,all had plain-backed plates throughout their (short) lives (though Clan Cameron may briefly have carried blue). On the other hand,the Kingmoor locos ,72005-72009,did sport red but only ,I think,from the late 50s onwards. So,red will be right for Clan Mcleod,as it apparently is to carry the later tender emblem.

DR

• RMweb Gold

The rumour that Clans were to come to the S&D sadly never became fact BUT in Peter Smith's excellent book "Footplate Over The Mendips", the final pages give loading tables for various engines working over the S&D. In the section headed "Ex LM & BR Standard Passenger & Mixed Traffic Engines" the final entry is for..........Clan Pacifics. So, although it is only a rumour, there is absolutely no reason why you can't keep repeating it until one day it becomes accepted fact and I can then justify 72006 Clan MacKenzie in charge of The Pines Express.

Jim

It would have to 72006 on the Pines for me as well - turns out I have some McKenzie ancestry (something I didn't know during the three years I actually lived in Scotland).

• 3 weeks later...

Phil

Have to agree with that...many of my books mention them coming down to Victoria. And knowing how "resourceful" NH were/are....I'm sure its a possibility.

by the way, as a "local" and one time driver over the Oldham Loop, I'm a big fan of your layout. How are your withdrawal symptoms now that the lines closed :angry: ?

I'm cheating. I have decided to model a interchange with a preserved railway shed in the background. I can run my units, and the railway has the only full collection of BR standards and one-off diesels in the country......yes I bought my Clan from Tim at Shaw and its a belter.

now for the new Bachmann tank to come along, together with the 15 and 14......

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have I missed them or has the late crest Clan not appeared yet? If so has anybody any idea what the delay is?

Thanks

I was told by a rep on the Hornby stand at Warley that they would be available in about 3 weeks, so by next weekend they should be available. wink.gif

Already purchased the nameplates from 247 Developments at Warley 72007 'Clan Mackintosh'. Just need a loco to put them on nowrolleyes.gif

72020 Clan Gordon in running order- waiting for Markit bogie wheels and an appointment with the weathering airbrush, but now in service. According to the Hengist website, the rear bogie should have coil springs, and I may get round to this sometime, but it doesn't scream wrong to me for the now.

post-2642-12602219966143_thumb.jpg

The two together- the larger tender makes quite a difference to its appearance.

post-2642-12602220142481_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Hornby :icon_smile:

Richard

Guest Max Stafford

Late crest version now showing in stock at both Hattons and Rails. Even better from my point of view is the 12A shedcode and '3 o'clock' top lamp iron, putting it perfectly in a 'Kingmoor, 1964' context and therefore eminently suitable for my main modelling scenario.

Go get 'em, boys! :)

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave, I very Nelly missed what you said earlier.

Back on topic, I have had a Clan for a few years but it started life as a tender drive Hornby Brit with a Jackson Evans(?) conversion carried out

By another friend, Tommy Johnstone. Like all of Tommy's work the conversion is superb and it will be interesting to compare the 2 locos.

Oh Dave, if an elephant has a skin complaint, is it suffering from pachydermatitis?

Jim

According to Steve Banks' book "The Birmingham to Leicester Line", 72008 was on Nuneaton Shed in August 1954 and was utilised for a local passenger service to Coventry.

72005 was on Leicester Shed in December 1964 after failing on the Carlisle - St.Pancras goods. This suggests that Kingmoor Clans worked the Midland Main line to the London area.

Regards

David

Both 72005 and 72008 turned up at Coventry on 7th May 1963, working specials bringing visitors from Barrow to Coventry Cathedral. The locos were serviced at Rugby. Source - Steam World August 2001. I was at Coventry station that day and my seven years old spotters eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing.