Life imitates art

• RMweb Gold

I visited the NR training centre at Bristol Parkway the other day for work purposes, and whilst looking round the outside of the facility, I noticed the newly-installed set of 'training sidings', which have a connection to the main line (not commissioned yet). It looks for all the world like a full-size model shunting plank to me!

The main line connection is behind the gate in the distance to the left of the two distant buffer stops:

post-57-12572785907351_thumb.jpg

post-57-12572786213392_thumb.jpg

There was also this rather chunky and robust modern buffer stop there:

post-57-12572786781248_thumb.jpg

post-57-12572786938302_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like anything more than an 08 would be able to shunt around. Do they plan to derail it on those traps then practice putting it back on again?

I'm not convinced that buffer stop is set up correctly. Shouldn't the running rails should continue back alongside the two inner rails, because the stop slides along all four if hit by a train. Otherwise the retardation will reduce as it falls off the end of the running rails, the opposite of what is wanted.

I would'nt mind betting an RMWebber/Railway Modeller designed that, taken from the shunting plank idea itself.....wouldn't it have been fantastic if they had gone for say the 'Dyserth Road' trackplan ? biggrin.gif

Come on then......who was it.......show yourself.......?

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know what are they used for? ? (Apart from "training"!)

Cheers,

26power

They are used for training, and probably aren't much use for anything else to be honest ;) Presumably the decent stop block is there on the road on which a road-railer can be operated, the points have different kit (one has an HW machine, another has clamp locks) for training techs etc and so on.

• RMweb Gold

The headshunts need to be big enough for at least a CoCo as NR only has 31's, and 37's, (HST NMT on a plank???), NR's building them in various spots around the country now that training has gone back in-house. They even have some inside industrial units with track and reduced height signals for the techs to play on. The idea is to have a series of centres that they can get staff to easily for training.

This sort of thing

http://www.eyerevolu...iltech_tour.jpg

Archived