Jazz's Showcase

jazz

This is a result of todays visit to Geoff's 7mm layout and showing some of the many models I have built over the past three decades for him.

This is one third of the motive power on this huge layout.

post-150-12572829007081_thumb.jpg

Starting with perhaps the earliest model I built for him. This is a scratch built 'Lion'. Drawings were obtained and a visit to the replica and loads of photos resulted in this model. All brass construction and wood veneer used on the boiler.

post-150-12572830138056_thumb.jpg

Another early model, must be over 25 years old now.

post-150-12572832606971_thumb.jpg

The following few are some from from the past four years.

post-150-12572833338316_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572834418745_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572834696374_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572834910853_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572835195922_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572835484804_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572835738501_thumb.jpg

Finally, so as not to bore the pants off y'all, I have to include a couple of the many coaches Geoff has commisioned. These SCRATCH BUILT from plastikard. I kid you not.

post-150-1257283702015_thumb.jpg

post-150-12572837352289_thumb.jpg

In the station are more Plastikard scratch built coaches. (I have to say I had no hand in the building these exquisite models) It beats me why he has the strangest things parked all over the layout from a Batman car to dinosaurs to flowerpot men??????

post-150-12572837891601_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Jazz, what truly superb models. Not least those built by yourself. It must have been a strange experience to see all that past work again.

The coaches too are amazing. Scratchbuilt in Plastikard! blink.gif Any chance you could say who the coach builder is?

Those weird things parked on the platforms must be some kind of internal joke - a bit of comic relief to balance off the investment that must have gone into this layout, perhaps smile.gif

It beats me why he has the strangest things parked all over the layout from a Batman car to dinosaurs to flowerpot men??????

As they say - "It is his train set he can do what he wants"

.... and wow what a train set !!!

I agree, that is some collection. I lost count of the loco kits I have yet to build stashed under the baseboards. (I hope I am able to continue building long enough.)

It was uncanny to see three decades of work all at once. I usually only see the odd model and rarely at that.

Here are just a little more to drool over. (I drove home feeling happy, unsettled and VERY envious. I just have to now content myself with my modest collection and a 19'6" shelf layout. Heck, Geoff's station is allmost as long as that, for heavens sake.

The lack of scenery did not seem to matter so much as on a smaller layout. I asked Geoff about that and his reply was, I've only been building this layout for 9 years, so plenty of time yet. (Or words to that effect)

The station and the considerable approch roads. The outter running roads are in the back ground allowing some high speed runs.

post-150-125732382472_thumb.jpg

A general view across the MPD area, the running roads are across the rear.

post-150-12573238635019_thumb.jpg

I thought this was the largest loco on the layout until I saw the American Big Boy lurking in the other MPD. What a size that in 7mm

post-150-12573238881485_thumb.jpg

Golden Fleece pulling away with a nice rake of articulated stock. She looked stunning at speed racing round the gentle curves.

post-150-12573239241653_thumb.jpg

The coach builder is Peter Cowling. I believe his current waiting time is 18 months to get on his books. I can see why.

Adrian, the J52 is a kit. I avoid scratch building these days. BUT Geoff is twisting my arm to build a copper knob, so who knows.

Wheel cleaning? Does not bear thinking about. But in truth they rarely need cleaning, just a regulr oiling and grease on the gears. He says a LOT of time is spent on maintenance though. Perhaps that is why the scenery is neglected as Gladiator takes a LOT of time up too.

Phill, the scenery is not a priority at present. Too little time and too many other things to do with the layout and running Gladiator I guess. I wish I lived close by, I would enjoy putting the scenery on that.

Hi Jazz,

Many thanks for sharing these photos with us. One question - who's Geoff? Or is it a secret :icon_winker:

Best Regards,

Brian

No secret, Brian. Geoff is a very good friend of mine of many years and I continue to enjoy building locos for that fine layout of his.

Archived