Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Modern 1:76 Scale Colour Light Signals

modelmaker87

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

i was intrusted with the signal for a while today at the wigan show and all i can say is OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

It is one of thoses things you need to see in the flesh (so to speak), the pics are great, its amazing' :) :)

Not sure what you are going to do to raise the bar again Tony

cheers

Simon

HI all,

i was intrusted with the signal for a while today at the wigan show and all i can say is OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

It is one of thoses things you need to see in the flesh (so to speak), the pics are great, its amazing' :) :)

Not sure what you are going to do to raise the bar again Tony

cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon, I am happy you enjoyed it.

Raising that bar...? Yeah, I can see its in the way again. I reckon you and I might be able to think of something. ;)

Later, Tony

Hi Tony,

Great thread!

Don't know if you've already mentioned this, but how did you make the lens?

You mentioned that you use the dinky surface mount LEDs which are square, so presumably you do fit a lens in front of them?

fresnel, great name for a lens.... :P :P :P On this signal I didn't fit a lens in front of the LED. If all goes fine the amount of light emitted from the LED should be sufficient. I along with many others are waiting for the installation progress report from the beast, who is in charge of such things. Me, I'm over 4000 miles away working on other models now.

Being serious for a mo, I do make my own lenses from .005" (.127mm) thick acetate and these I stamp out using a male/female stamping tool I made. They look perfect when mounted inside the shroud. Adhesive for these lenses.....Johnsons Future floor polish.

Cheers, Tony

Guest jim s-w

Thanks Simon, I am happy you enjoyed it.

Raising that bar...? Yeah, I can see its in the way again. I reckon you and I might be able to think of something. ;)

Later, Tony

Hi Tony

Something Mechanical perhaps? Colour lights are great but nothing beats actual rods and stuff moving arround. (kinda sad my layout will need searchlight signals TBH :( )

Cheers

Jim

Hi Tony

Something Mechanical perhaps? Colour lights are great but nothing beats actual rods and stuff moving arround. (kinda sad my layout will need searchlight signals TBH :( )

Cheers

Jim

Hey Jim,

Merry Christmas to ya old mate. Mmmmmm, gotta say in my world rods and stuff moving around can be beat...? The thought I had on reading your view immediately turned to the three mainstays of my life - sex, money and beer. Moreover, that thought collection was instant.....AND in any order or combo thereof. :P ;) :D ;)

Hope to see you in 2011 at one of the train shindigs, meanwhile keep safe and healthy.

Later, Tony

Guest jim s-w

OK - You are scaring me now!

Merry Christmas to you and yours buddy - See you in 2011 for sure (especially if you come over for ally pally with Widnes - Need a chat with your good self and Mr Turner at some point.)

Cheers

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

First image shows a bunch of rear covers I have cast from my master. These I thought would be fine for the next set of signals the guys

wanted me to build for our next layout - 'Badgers Cross".

post-6847-024479400 1285982982_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony,

Are these rear signal covers sized for standard three aspect signals? Would you consider making them available to other modellers for a price of course?

Fabulous work on the signal details, the base is exquisite.

Cheers

Hi Tony,

Are these rear signal covers sized for standard three aspect signals? Would you consider making them available to other modellers for a price of course?

Fabulous work on the signal details, the base is exquisite.

Cheers

Hi Andrew,

Question one - Yes. The covers are at scale and are correct for a standard three aspect signal. Question 2. That's a major league and high level cautious - Maybe. Money is not my motivator, time is. When my time is used on projects other than my own I would think my price will far outweigh what a cover would be considered worth to a modeller.

Thanks for your appreciative comments on my signal base.

Cheers, Tony

• 3 months later...

Great work Tony! Only just come across this but I'm planning on doing something similar and this is going to help greatly.

Daz,

If you need any help or ideas etc on technique, give me a shout, be happy to help anyway I can. Glad you enjoyed this thread and thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers, Tony

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Tony, all,

I'm looking for some basic info that I have found properly yet.

Can any of you please specifiy please?

For my fictitious 1967 South-London layout Ironbridges Interchange, I'm currently working on the signalling diagram and the actual positions of the signal- postfeet , -gantry feet and -heads.

What are the positions of the relative to the track centre, both to the side as well as vertical?

Regards,

Michel

Tony, all,

I'm looking for some basic info that I have found properly yet.

Can any of you please specifiy please?

For my fictitious 1967 South-London layout Ironbridges Interchange, I'm currently working on the signalling diagram and the actual positions of the signal- postfeet , -gantry feet and -heads.

What are the positions of the relative to the track centre, both to the side as well as vertical?

Regards,

Michel

Hi,

Signal Height is at least 3.1 metres from the centre of the most restrictive aspect to the rail head, and up to 5.5m.

For Post mounted signals, the lateral distance is to ensure that the signal is outside of the loading gauge, but can vary (Someone else can confirm this as I haven't got access at the moment to all the information). For a Gantry, from memory, the centre line of the signal should be 900mm to the left of the centre of the track when looking in the direction of travel.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that info on signal position measurements/distances. I've positioned the signals on my layout plan just now, and have postioned all at the 900 mm for the centre of the rail on gantries or above tunnel mouths, or 900 mm out of this same centre line on a standard mast/pole, for straight line of sight, but at curves, to the it's further of the actual centre line, outside the loading gauge. I will show it in the topic I started about the signalling questions I had for the trackplan.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101500-advice-sought-on-a-few-signalling-questions/

Regards,

Michel

For a Gantry, from memory, the centre line of the signal should be 900mm to the left of the centre of the track when looking in the direction of travel.

The requirements generally are just to have the signal to the left or above the track it refers to, but it is also desirable to bring the red as close as possible to the drivers eye level. Hence signals suspended from gantries are usually in the 'valley' of the structure gauge where they can be as low as possible. With tracks at the standard 11ft 4 inch spacing that will put the signal 5ft 8 inches to the left of the track centreline. 900 mm would put the signal high up above the structure gauge line.

That said the Southern did seem fond of putting their signals on top of gantries rather than suspended and would thus have no particular constraint so may well have used 900 mm if the sighting was acceptable.

Regards

Archived