Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Modern 1:76 Scale Colour Light Signals

modelmaker87

Very nice details there Tony.

I'm surprised you did not make the detail parts from brass, but I can understand why you did not with those available.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Any component can be made of brass, sure, but I seriously doubt my skills in making those NBW's. The reason why I chose to make the

post and feet lugs from styrene is because soldering several different pieces that size and end up with a decent degree of accuracy is a

PITB. Gluing styrene to brass is simple, fast and the parts can be positioned accurately. Once painted you can not tell the difference at all.

Progress this morning and after painting the rear of the head I decided to replace that NBW that was NFG. I should never had accepted that

angled cut in the first place. Slap wrist for me.

post-6847-034283100 1289320670_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I added a couple more details before packing it for delivery to beast. Eyebolts and not from a packet.

post-6847-044183000 1290439282_thumb.jpg

And before I placed it in its custom transit box for tomorrows trip across the pond.

post-6847-002550900 1290439332_thumb.jpg

Hope it works and lights up like a Christmas tree. I'll see you all at either Darlington or Wigan, if you're coming along.

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony,looking forward to seeing you again and the new work of art. I have a couple of questions for you as well when we get chance to sit down and chat.Have a safe tripcheersSimon

I'll be starting my journey in a few hours. Certainly looking forward to Darlington, such a great bunch of guys and IMO, one of the better small expos. I'll be bringing a lot of hankys to weep into as I wave goodbye to Charlotte Road on Sunday evening.

Oh yeah, certainly have a chat as I'm not an operator kind of guy. My bag is scratch building.

God that's a lovely Dorman head. B)

Thanks Horsetan, It still looks strange to me tho' without a platform, handrail and ladder. When I was processing the images I felt it needed something. It will look better once beast and Mike T have got it installed on Widnes VY. I'll leave beast to phot it and post the installation in this thread here. He did a good job of the signal cabin and all the other signals when they were installed.

Fantastic work.Had a look at the British colourlight signals pictured on your website. They are seriously good, in fact the straight posts look better made than some of the real ones that I had the dubious pleasure of trying to assemble and erect on BR.

:D Thanks for that. Have you seen them on Vine Yard layout yet...? The model that is, not the full size jobbies. :P :P The gantry was written up in MRJ. I'm not too sure but I think they also won a gong at one of the train shindigs Vine Yard was displayed at. Being in the US I don't keep up with all the stuff as it happens through the year. My main job is make what the guys want for their layouts as long as they give me the info to do the job.

I should do an article with more info on this single aspect build, add drawings I did to help me along the way. Perhaps describe the pitfalls I fell into, dimensions etc that I went with. Have you seen Mike Megginsons build on this forum.? Very tasty indeed.

Anyway Guys, I'll be at Darlo and Wigan shindigs with the WFRM boys as well as Hobby Holidays this coming weekend doing my 'Weathering without an Airbrush' thing. I'll have the signal on display, if beast lets me. :unsure: :unsure:

Cheers, Tony

.....I should do an article with more info on this single aspect build, add drawings I did to help me along the way. Perhaps describe the pitfalls I fell into, dimensions etc that I went with. .....

....and possibly let people have a taster of the dual-aspect version as well, just for fun? ;)

....and possibly let people have a taster of the dual-aspect version as well, just for fun? ;)

Dual aspect...? Not quite sure what you mean here. I don't know very much about UK trains or signals. A signal with two aspects or do you mean this one showing each colour shining like a celestial star. :D If so I'll be leaning on beast to get the three shots of each colour from this signal and post them on here.

Cheers, Tony

Dual aspect...? Not quite sure what you mean here...

Your superb model is the single aspect displaying red, yelllow and green (replacing the 3-aspect heads)

The "dual" aspect has an extra yellow aspect above, making the head able to show double yellow (replacing a 4-aspect head)

• RMweb Gold

Your superb model is the single aspect displaying red, yelllow and green (replacing the 3-aspect heads)

The "dual" aspect has an extra yellow aspect above, making the head able to show double yellow (replacing a 4-aspect head)

I think you mean dual lens - dual aspect would be r/g or y/g, we don't need any 4 aspect signals on the layout so Tone won't need to make one, yet, this one will be capable of showing a flashing single yellow though, I will get some stills to demonstrate that ... :lol:

I think you mean dual lens - dual aspect would be r/g or y/g, we don't need any 4 aspect signals on the layout so Tone won't need to make one, yet, this one will be capable of showing a flashing single yellow though, I will get some stills to demonstrate that ... :lol:

Thanks Dave for answering Horsetan's question. Look forward to the stills of the flashing light. :P So as I now understand it you will wire it for steady yellow as well as flashing yellow along with steady red & green.

Cool... :)

Cheers, Tone

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave for answering Horsetan's question. Look forward to the stills of the flashing light. :P So as I now understand it you will wire it for steady yellow as well as flashing yellow along with steady red & green.

Cool... :)

Cheers, Tone

Hi Tone,

the circuitry and logic to make it flash are already there, we just need to take the old "starter" out and put this one in, and it should work B)

• RMweb Gold

What's happening to the old VD 102?

Richard

It will be burnt off at the base* and then "slatted down the batter" as we say around here

* I have a use for it and it will be very carefully recovered

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Nice signal. Where did you source the multi-colour LED from? I meant to ask you last weekend. Although I'm looking at red/green and yellow/green as home and distant.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Dave,

Nice signal. Where did you source the multi-colour LED from? I meant to ask you last weekend. Although I'm looking at red/green and yellow/green as home and distant.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

The LED spec as follows

PLCC-4 High brightness surface mount RGB LED

Rapid Electronics cat number 56-3000

You mix the the red and green to get yellow. The red seems to dominate so thats the one that needs the variable resistor to 'tune' the colour.

Regards

Mike

Archived