howes class 03 and castle sound chip videos

big jim

• RMweb Gold

here are a couple of videos bryan and i captured this morning of his latest sound chips, the class 03 shunter and GWR castle.

recorded on warmington using my new fancy camcorder (rather than my mobile) we are very impressed by how these have come out both regards the sound chips and just how good it makes my layout look, almost recorded from the point of vew of looking over the depot fence, the zoom really gives the layout some depth (despite only being 1ft wide!!)

first up the 03, fitted to the new Bachmann model, it has a micro fitted with the speaker mounted in the cab roof, i will add a list of functions once bryan emails them to me but they include the usual things like whistle, flange squeal etc, this one has couple and uncouple sounds though

next up the castle, fitted to the new Hornby castle, this one is simply a reblow of the sound chipped example

this video features the loco hurtling into the yard as bryan wanted to demonstrate the bark it produces at speed (he also recon'd the driver was on a promise!!)

this chip is quite involved and very driveable giving different levels of exhaust depending on driving style

functions are:

F1: sound on/off

F2: Long whistle

F3: short whistle

F4: Buffer up

F5: Coupling

F6: Injectors

F7: Drain cocks

F8: Blow off/Safety valve

F9: Sleeper groan

F10:Door slam

F11:Guards whistle

F12:Shunt mode

F13:Accelleration/decelleration overide

enjoy the vids and of course and opinions and critisisms are welcome

next to upload is the peak

The sounds are good and the video is lovely and clear. The only change I'd suggest is to the video aspect ration as they are currently coming out tall and thin - please don't take that as a criticism though. I had the same problem with a few of my newer videos with my newer wide format camera. All it needs is a small tweak to the settings in the editing/conversion program before putting on YouTube.

Thanks for posting those, Jim. I had no idea Bryan was working on an 03 sound set. Running qualities on the new chassis look to be very smooth too.

I must email Bryan and see how he is getting on. Hopefully he will have made further progress with the 4CEP sounds as well.

:)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

I was looking at fitting a sound chip in the 03 but initially couldnt see where there was a suitable space without some chasis cutting so I fiited a standard Bachmann 6 pin decoder for the time being. How did you fit your chip?

Peter

• RMweb Gold

The sounds are good and the video is lovely and clear. The only change I'd suggest is to the video aspect ration as they are currently coming out tall and thin - please don't take that as a criticism though.

we noted that when we played them back, i recorded them in 16:9 so the next lot i will change the aspect on the camcorder.

savoyard, a reply from bryan for you....

Firstly I removed the body then took the cab off, I then cut away the rear 1cm of the plastic floor of the cab. I mounted the micro speaker in the roof in blacktak facing down, cut the head and shoulders off the driver to stop it fouling the speaker! carefully trimmed the plastic off the non wired end of the decoder so it was level with the end of the circuit board, then I snipped away the plastic on the wired end so it was again level with the end of the circuit board, this just allowed the decoder to sit flat across the cab as a tight fit between the cab sides behind the driver.

I then took the drivers window out and cut off the lower half, reglued the top piece back in so it was in the window down position to allow the sound out, doing both sides would be even better I suspect, I then replaced the cab on the body with the wires hanging down through the cut away floor area, the 6 pin connector was then plugged into the socket and the wires tucked tidily under the floor when refitting the body on the chassis. Not a bad sound level for a micro but most importantof all as the speaker was sealed in the cab with the blacktak the sound from it was louder than if left in free space or not in a chamber. It took me about an hour as it was a first effort, no soldering required.

I did not look to see or test the cab lights working before the install and although they should work on F0 under DCC, I could not see them after fitting the decoder, probably because the led and mini circuit board is hidden inside the blacktak holding the speaker, so not seeing the cab lit may well be a compromise for a sound fit. I wasnt too worried about the lights to be honest more about if I could get the decoder and speaker fitted in. quite surprised myself!!.

Sorry I didnt take pics, but at the time I wasnt sure if it would be successful.

I must add that although the 03 runs well from the box, it needs to be run in as per the instructions, and due to its short wheelbase and weight the wheels and track need to be squeaky clean, as Jim and I found out yesterday.

Hope this is of some help, have fun

Bryan

• RMweb Gold

anyone who's interested heres how bryan fitted up the 03, hopefully it may be of use to anyone who wants to give it a go!

obviously the stripping down has been done already so the guide is from the point of actually fitting the chip.....

03Fit002a.jpg

03Fit003.jpg

03Fit011.jpg

03Fit012.jpg

03Fit013.jpg

03Fit014.jpg

03Fit015.jpg

hope that helps

• RMweb Gold

The 'Castle' sounds 'not too bad' - best I've heard yet of a GW 4 cylinder loco. Incidentally it sounds as if the large ejector is being put on (when it should be put on) but there seems to be no separate F key for it?

sorry i've took so long to get back about this but heres a reply from bryan:

The large ejector is built into the sound file so that it is automatic and therefore more prototypical than asigning a function key. nice to see it was picked up on, makes adding these little subtleties worthwhile and hopefully enhances the sound project.

Cheers

Bryan

• RMweb Gold

sorry i've took so long to get back about this but heres a reply from bryan:

The large ejector is built into the sound file so that it is automatic and therefore more prototypical than asigning a function key. nice to see it was picked up on, makes adding these little subtleties worthwhile and hopefully enhances the sound project.

Cheers

Bryan

Jim,

Thank you very much for that and very pleasing to see how much on-the-ball Bryan is with his sound project development. All we need now is variable cut-off and I think he'll have it cracked ;)

anyone who's interested heres how bryan fitted up the 03, hopefully it may be of use to anyone who wants to give it a go!

obviously the stripping down has been done already so the guide is from the point of actually fitting the chip.....

03Fit012.jpg

hope that helps

Thanks Jim,

I've been using the info from Bryan to see I'll be able to get sound in my 07. The new 03 chassis fits my Silver Fox/Craftsman mongrel and I can see I'll be able to get the decoder into the cab roof. I need to see which speakers may best fit a 25mm x 15mm width x 10mm depth space in the ready louvred bonnet.

I thought this might be the thread for my sound fitted Class 03 diesel shunter video on YouTube.

This is the first time I have allowed an Internet view of any of my sound projects.

There are a lot of extraneous noises and, if you read the notes on each file, all will be explained.

Enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I based my installation on Bryans but didn't cut out the cab floor instead I placed the decoder behind the driver and painted the sleeve black I also used the standard ESU round speaker and so I didn't have to behead the driver just his cap! You just have to be careful with the wires as three of mine came off. Here are a few pictures:-

post-6784-025134100 1289837878_thumb.jpg

post-6784-050442500 1289837880_thumb.jpg

post-6784-047334100 1289837882_thumb.jpg

post-6784-074461300 1289837884_thumb.jpg

post-6784-086356200 1289837887_thumb.jpg

post-6784-021467200 1289837891_thumb.jpg

post-6784-071298000 1289837894_thumb.jpg

Peter

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=67455

Peter

Peter,

You an see from this picture that the cab isn't sitting back down correctly, you can see the gap at the back. This is because the decoder is fowling on the window mouldings. The simple solution to this is to firstly remove the cab door windows, and cut/shave/trim the bottom, then re-assemble and you'll find it sits flush correctly.

The other thought that I don't think anyone has picked up on, is to use the twin 16mm round speakers (50447), if you remove the black panel from behind the front grill, you get left with the etch and holes. Behind this you can mount one 16mm speaker in its enclosure quite happily, you will also need to fit the second speaker to get the correct loading of 100ohm, this will go just behind the contacts for the cab light. It sounds quite good, with the noise coming out of the bonnet and not the cab, although most drivers will tell you the cabs were pretty noisy anyway.

Regards

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Jim - Anyone, Where can you buy the 'Blacktack' stuff from.

Nine sounds on the 03.

i got mine from focus diy, the one in crewe shut last month but i think the nantwich one is still open!!

its called homelux bathroom sealant btw

if you have any trouble finding it let me know a ive got a huge roll of something very similar you can have some of

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested to know if this is a new castle recording or the same one as listed in the catalogue. I had one of these chips about three years Ago in oo and wasn't that impressed.didn't have sleeper groan guards whiste etc, This vid sounds good and I want an O gauge version sometime in the new year.

• RMweb Gold

the castle chip is a brand new version, certainly not the one from 3 years ago, that one was probably on a 1 min chip the fact the new one is on a 2 min chip means bryan has been able to add the extras such as sleeper groan, guards whistle etc as well as developing the base loco sounds to add things like rod clank etc

• 2 months later...

hello there

hope you guys dont mind i thought i'd show how i fitted out my class 03 with 2 16mm speakers and cab light

one speaker in the front behind grill mesh with enclosure and the other one in cab roof top with cutdown enclosure

i know cab lights are not really that good but i thought i'd try and keep the function there

had to trip the drivers cap slightly:)

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

mods to the chassie

IMG_2312.jpg

sorry about the dark video

th_MVI_2313.jpg

btw anyone know wot the max volume is for 2 16mm speakers ?

i know there 50ohm each but was just wondering if i can turn it up past 50

cheers

Russ

• RMweb Gold

This really should be on a new thread as is about fitting a Zimo sound decoder but I thought it would be of interest. I have used one of the small CT Electronics speakers which are remarkably loud for the size, it fits perfectly into the slot underneath the cab designed for decoder. I have hard wired the decoder and removed the cab light.

post-6784-0-40033700-1297638531_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-21501700-1297638532_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-86437900-1297638532_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Peter

• 2 months later...

this is very interesting, I wasnt aware of sound in such small 4mm locos.

I want some shunters for swan st, but I fancy DCC sound in them,

Id imagine then that loco's with similar sized cabs shouldnt be too much more of a problem

Im thinking of an 02! although the new bachman 03 is interesting

Archived