howes class 03 and castle sound chip videos

big jim

this is very interesting, I wasnt aware of sound in such small 4mm locos.

I want some shunters for swan st, but I fancy DCC sound in them,

Id imagine then that loco's with similar sized cabs shouldnt be too much more of a problem

Im thinking of an 02! although the new bachman 03 is interesting

Showcase surgery

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Jim,

Just spotted interesting this series of posts which relates to something I have been seeking in respect of Castle Class Sounder Decoders.

I have about 5 Hornby Castle Class DCC Ready locos that I am looking to install pre-programmed sound decoders into, in a similar manner to the already sound chipped Clun Castle, which also graces my collection.

However, I do not seem to be able to track down 4 cylinder sound decoders compatible with the GWR Castle range only a Manor decoder, but that is 2 cylinder, but may suit my Hornby Grange Class loco.

Are any of these Castle Class sound decoders available to purchase. I also have the Bachmann 03 Class Diesel Shunter that will also need similar attention.

Have just ordered a Castle Class sound decoder from Howes - If it turns out to be OK I will install in all my Castle fleet.

Will report back in due course on the results of this fairly expensive purchase.

4 cylinder locos sound the same as two cylinder locos in respect of number of chuffs per wheel revolution. There is an exception to this rule but it is an SR loco.

What is very different is the bark as two cylinders exhaust together simultaneously.

Difficult to actually differentiate in a sound chip performance.

If you buy a variety of RTR chips or request differences in one suppliers decoders, you will not be disappointed.

Took delivery today of an ESU LocSound decoder from Howes Models programmed with a BR/GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 sound track. I managed to get it neatly installed in the tender of a Hornby "Windsor Castle" and initial test runs are proving very exciting.

I would go as far to say that the sounds are more realistic than the Hornby Clun Castle version.

I particularly like the default chuff chuff sound, which then subsides and is substituted with just the sounds of the pistons spitting (well that's what it sounds like - heard it on historical DVD films), but does not occur on the Hornby Clun Castle version.

Howes Models have a very wide range of sound decoders, and although £123 is quite expensive, once a fleet of locomotives have been chipped, a layout can certainly be brought to life with a variety  of realistic steam and diesel related sounds. 

• 5 years later...
On 06/08/2013 at 11:59, Compbck said:

Have just ordered a Castle Class sound decoder from Howes - If it turns out to be OK I will install in all my Castle fleet.

Will report back in due course on the results of this fairly expensive purchase.

The Locoman King is well worth a look too, far more features than the Howes projects.  

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The Locoman King is well worth a look too, far more features than the Howes projects.  

In all fairness Charlie, Bryan’s video on my fist post is 9 years old and things have moved on a hell of a lot since then as you know! 

Archived