Theatre Indicator

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Some of you may have seen this on a certain D&E forum, but I thought I'd share it with RMWebbers.

This is a 7x5 dot matrix LED that is powered by a custom built pcb with a PIC at the heart of it - TBH, I know very little about the elctronics/software as it was kindly designed and supplied by the Geoff, the man behind a lot of John Holden's Lime Street elctronic wizardry.

JH also milled down the original matrix to a minimum size to enable wires to be reconnected to it.

The software is configured to display '1-4', 'S' & 'L' as required for "Blackmill". The relevant input to the PIC is generated automatically via auxiliary switches on the Tortoise motors and is only enabled when a "proceed" (green, yellow or call-on) is selected via the main signalling panel.

The rest of the signal is 3mm LED's in a Knightwing head and two SMD LED's in a scratchbuilt box under the main head. The post is square section to enable 18 (!) wires to pass through it. (12 for the matrix, 4 for the main signal and two for the call-on).

The use of enamelled copper wire may have saved some space, but the matrix was supplied with PTFE insulated wire and I was a bit reluctant to change it (maybe the Mk2 version will be enameled wire).

The non-lit LED's in the picture have been highlighted by the photo - when viewed by the naked eye, they are far less visible

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. see it at the upcoming Blackburn

exhibition and also at the NECpost-408-011111300 1286065137_thumb.jpg

60063 heads 6E32 Preston Docks-Lindsey OR bitumen empties through Platform 3

• RMweb Premium

^^

I think it means getting to know Geoff (see text of OP, above).....

Exactly!

We were lucky in that John Holden is a member of our club and he introduced us to Geoff.

I believe he obtained them via Ebay from China. Geoff is currently tying to source a white version for the next batch.

Cheers,

Mick

Blackburn Exhibition 16/17 October

Archived