Warley NEC 2010

Penlan

I've done a search on Warley, and nothing..... wonder why nobody from the Club is doing a bit of plugging here, and on other Forums.

So not long now, 20th / 21st November... all the exhibitor details arrived today. Plenty of H&S etc., notes to read.

Plug - Penlan is the main photo on the flyer (not the one shown on their web site here)

The Warley Exhibition web site has practical news, but there's also a Facebook page here,

just checked, yup mentions 50 days to go........ and o' I know why I don't like facebook in general......

• RMweb Gold

Probably because they don't have to worry as it always sparks a mass of discussion on it's size every year. ;)

Personally I enjoy it immensely so see you there as Rhatia is in the overseas section.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah the bit where newer forum members wander around the static exhibit about 5-6 times trying to work out whether that group is actually the rmweb gathering or just a another random group of people....

Been there - Done that :D

• RMweb Gold

You know, that gathering of the RM-clan right in the middle at 1pm sharp... ;)

Interesting - I'll be there on the Sunday - but, short of having "print-your-own" badge templates on this site, I'm not sure how people like me would recognise most RMweb members.

(I'm also not sure whether most RMweb members would actually want to recognise me - but that's another matter!)

Interesting - I'll be there on the Sunday - but, short of having "print-your-own" badge templates on this site, I'm not sure how people like me would recognise most RMweb members.

(I'm also not sure whether most RMweb members would actually want to recognise me - but that's another matter!)

I'm pricing it up for this year, I do need train tics and a place to stay (and tickets for the event). I'm sure I've seen templates for badges before. However, a "show yourself" type of thread could be used.

No problem - just look for a bunch of dodgy looking misfits stood near the centre exhibit. You can't miss them.;)

No problem - just look for a bunch of dodgy looking misfits stood near the centre exhibit. You can't miss them.;)

This dodgy ;looking misfit will be there on Sunday wearing the ID badge that he made yonks ago [from a template on the site somewhere ...]

Chris

• RMweb Gold
Plug - Penlan is the main photo on the flyer
Personally I enjoy it immensely so see you there as Rhatia is in the overseas section.
I'll be on the S4 society stand, showing how to fit sound and lights to things diesel.

For various reasons, I've only been able to do "Warley" once - and that was more than a decade ago.

Now that I'm able to make this year's show, I'm glad it's starting to sound good already.

I kept returning to Penlan at Cardiff the other year - must be something about LNWR carriages - and the layout itself looked good too - so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I also like seeing decent overseas stuff (and NG, for that matter).

As for the sound and lights, I've never done DCC (cost means I'm not likely to any time soon) but I still find this stuff fascinating - could have something to do with my electrical / electronic background.

I'm looking forward to seeing all this stuff - and more.

I'm pricing it up for this year, I do need train tics and a place to stay (and tickets for the event). I'm sure I've seen templates for badges before. However, a "show yourself" type of thread could be used.

I'd like to say that I can reasonably use the trains to get to "Warley" every year. I'd also like to say that I can afford the fares - that the timetables work out well for me - that I can leave (and return to) my local station at a sensible time and still get a full day at the NEC - that my journeys don't involve loads of changes in each direction, with sprints for connections at some stations and long waits at others - or that I can always rely on none of the trains I pay to travel on facing ridiculous diversions or being replaced by station to station buses that don't connect properly with the trains at both ends of their run.

Well, I'd like to say all these things - but I'm not going to. I can't.

This might sound like a moan-fest. It isn't meant to be, but this is a fair reflection of how it's been for me:

For me, this show hasn't been workable for the last 10 years. OK, I've had a few one-off commitments on some "Warley weekends", but the trains have been the real "killer" for all the other years.

I've been prevented from going - through all the above issues, in a range of combinations. It might just be a coincidence but, a number of years, I found that not only were the tracks knocked out on the most obvious route, but they were also out on the other credible one at the same time. Because there's no direct line between where I live and Birmingham International (and different parts of the journey are run by different companies), I wasn't able to get APEX fares. Even if I had been able to, they wouldn't have been much use to me, as there were so many changes that I couldn't guarantee which train I'd be on by the end of the journey.

In other words, for me, it was the stuff of dreams - nightmares.

This year, things have changed. I've already been using Megabus for the last few years, to get to London - and I'm delighted with them. Now, they've also started running from my part of the world to Birmingham Airport - affordable - no changes - and there's even a monorail from the airport to the rail station and NEC. I tried it out last week - for an instrumentation show - and it worked like a charm. I'll be using it again.

I hope Mr. Souter keeps running those blue coaches - I think they're great.

I've done a search on Warley, ... wonder why nobody from the Club is doing a bit of plugging here,

Thank goodness...!! Maybe someone learned a little lesson from 2008, when most of us got utterly sick of the guy who came on RMweb and clapped all over the place about it icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif.......

:angry: :rolleyes: :P

Thank goodness...!! Maybe someone learned a little lesson from 2008, when most of us got utterly sick of the guy who came on RMweb and clapped all over the place about it icon_clap.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gif.......

:angry: :rolleyes: :P

Jordan I feel we need a link to what your saying mate :diablo_mini:

Ian

I will be there all weekend (including the Friday assembly) operating on Barmouth Bridge complete with a name tag (wrong spelling of Stewart though) and wandering around being inspired when on a shift break.

I've not seen the shift rota yet, so hopefully I will be able to attend at least some of "the meet".

I wouldn't be able to get into lengthy discussions when operating, but please say hello.

regards

Stewart

Looking forward to the exhibitors lunchs mostly :D Simon

I know we are a sad lot in West Cornwall, but '..the lunches..'?

I'm looking forward to the grandeur of the event - well my shops etc are in a local village of 600 people, that's going to the Town for me, so NEC is a BIG event.....

I know we are in the same hotel as the Cardiff Club and South Wales lads (I don't think there's any lasses :( ) so a few bevvies in the evenings,

and indeed we are sharing operators across two or three of the layouts too,

so when anybody gets fed up with their own team, they can go/come and find it's worse elsewhere.... :P

I actually start travelling on Thursday, staying near Malvern overnight and then set up on Friday, because NEC's about 300 miles from me and if there's going to be holdups on the Friday on the A30, M5, M42 etc., (the worst I've been in is 10 hours from Penzance to Great Barr, should be about 5.5 hours) you can bet I will get stuck... I'm not thinking about the Sunday night breakdown, but anticipate getting home about 3am on the Monday morning.....

...although some editing was done later, so where there are now only one or two in the member's posts, think in terms of lines of clapping smileys originally... :angry: :rolleyes: ;)

I will be there myself this year for a change... :blink: just on the Saturday, usually hiding around the back of Pattingham most of the time... B)

Archived